Mimicking the "Tweed Power" setting on Mesa amps via the new Variac parameter?

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
When I was using Mesa amps they always sounded more musical to me with the so-called "Tweed Power" setting turned on, both for clean and dirty tones.
It seemed to soften up the top end somehow making higher settings of the Presence control sound sweeter.

Can the new Variac parameter in the Amp Block successfully mimic that type of tone and response?

If so, what might be a good way to set this parameter?

When I had a Mesa Mk IV, I put 6v6's in it. Before I did I pulled the chassis and checked the plate voltages. Now it was over 5 years ago that I had the Mk Iv, but I think I remember about 490v plate voltage at full power and about 455v to 460v on tweed. About an eight percent drop. So anything from 90% to 93% on the variac would get you in the ballpark. Maybe lower to get some real saggy sweet stuff.

BTW, I was messing with the variac last night and was going the other way with the Twin and HiWatt model. Up to about 110% to 115%. I was getting some cool clang and kerang stuff going. (For those who do cleans.)

BTW, I was messing with the variac last night and was going the other way with the Twin and HiWatt model. Up to about 110% to 115%. I was getting some cool clang and kerang stuff going. (For those who do cleans.)

I did some tracks last night and messed with the variac setting on the jumpered 100w. I'm publicly admitting, I only turned it down....and I didn't realize it could be turned up past 100%. Now I have to sit here at work, and wait 6 hours to try that. Thanks...thanks a lot.

So to lower an amp to approx. 90 volts ;), would be a setting of 75% on the Variac ? 8)
depends on if the modeled amps run on 110v like in the old days or on roughly 120v. if you're taking 120v as the base then you've got your formular right ;)

Back
Top Bottom