MIJ EVH Wolfgang

Kinda off-topic, but does anyone have any experience with the current Wolfgang Special's EVH pickups and compared them to the USA-made EVH pickups? If so, big (better) difference and worth the upgrade?
All I can say is i put a USA EVH pickup in this build (see pic) and I like it better than the one in my USA HP CT, and that was my fav.

Attachments

• FEC6A69A-D10D-4972-BBFF-2D379937D55D_1_201_a.jpeg
    FEC6A69A-D10D-4972-BBFF-2D379937D55D_1_201_a.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 18
Great to hear about the MIJ Wolfgangs. They seem to be the sweet spot!

@Andy Eagle - How does the MIJ/USA Wolfgang neck profile compare to the Wolfgang Specials and the EBMM Axis? My favorite necks are on my EBMM Axis guitars. I have a Wolfgang Special and the neck is ok, but I really get along with the asymmetrical shape, size, and frets of the EBMM Axis necks. I also had a Peavey HP Special a long time ago, but didn't really like the neck on that one - but it was a long time ago so I wonder how different that one is as well.

My USA;s w my Frankie, I'll have to look for dimples in the grey's pickups as the slugs are flat to the top of the bobbin, the Sig has them slightly raised. I don't notice. big difference in the tone though except for the neck pickups with the grey having an Alnico 2 and the Sig having Alnico 3
IMG-1717.jpg

My USA;s w my Frankie, I'll have to look for dimples in the grey's pickups as the slugs are flat to the top of the bobbin, the Sig has them slightly raised. I don't notice. big difference in the tone though except for the neck pickups with the grey having an Alnico 2 and the Sig having Alnico 3
IMG-1717.jpg
Wolfgang pickups have had 2 3 and 5 magnets over the time and it doesn't make as much difference as you would think. I liked the 5 best but the others are great too.

@Andy Eagle - How does the MIJ/USA Wolfgang neck profile compare to the Wolfgang Specials and the EBMM Axis? My favorite necks are on my EBMM Axis guitars. I have a Wolfgang Special and the neck is ok, but I really get along with the asymmetrical shape, size, and frets of the EBMM Axis necks. I also had a Peavey HP Special a long time ago, but didn't really like the neck on that one - but it was a long time ago so I wonder how different that one is as well.
Ed was super picky with the neck profile when he went to Music Man but not so bothered with the PV Wolfgang. PV production couldn't really get the nuances of the old 5150 neck that ended up asymmetrical while the finish was badly sanded off. It's only ballpark and they don't have a reference. They even used a 15" radius and 6105 frets .

I can't speak on the Axis but the necks between MIM and US build Wolfgangs felt exactly the same profile - and I am ultra neck-fussy. In point of fact the finish on the MIMs was better (!) and the fret insertion more consistent on the MIM BUT I prefer the vintage SS on the US by a mile. It's still my favourite guitar but it's been a pain getting a good one - they exist but check them thoroughly and maybe reject (or correct) crappy fretwork from the Custom Shop.

I can't speak on the Axis but the necks between MIM and US build Wolfgangs felt exactly the same profile - and I am ultra neck-fussy. In point of fact the finish on the MIMs was better (!) and the fret insertion more consistent on the MIM BUT I prefer the vintage SS on the US by a mile. It's still my favourite guitar but it's been a pain getting a good one - they exist but check them thoroughly and maybe reject (or correct) crappy fretwork from the Custom Shop.
EVH Wolfgangs are pretty constant across the range but not really like the Music Man EVH. Axis is not the same.

Sb-SG, the fretwork on my MIJ is perfect! Everything about the guitar is flawless. I’m thoroughly impressed by it but I can’t tell you if I got lucky or if there really is something about the MIJ quality control.

Regarding the neck profile, it’s really different from the Axis I had. The Axis is narrower and had more of a U shape. I had a PDN Axis with stainless steel frets, roasted maple neck, and a pau ferro fretboard. That’s a guitar that I regret selling but then again, there are so many other great guitars to buy. 😁

QC is definitely better and everything else is the same speck as the signature USA version . I would pick the Japan one over the USA even if they where the same price.
Wow! I love my guitar so much that I was thinking about the MIA version. Thanks for saving me some money!

This was a nice surprise as I got it at least a month earlier than I was expecting. I was in the market for a US Wolfgang when I saw the MIJ series as an option. Man I love this guitar! The two things that I’m not totally into are the strap locks and the kill switch. The strap lock is a bit bulky and hits the guitar. Over time, I’m sure it’s going to beat up the finish. Not sure what I’m going to do about that since the eye hole screws are really thick.
As far as the kill switch, my hand has been hitting it. Also, it’s kind of strange to use. Other than that, it’s super fun to play and sounds great in all pickup positions. View attachment 126596
How do you find which EVH models are MIJ? Thanks!

How do you find which EVH models are MIJ? Thanks!
They are a new series released around 6 months ago. They will be clearly labelled Made in Japan. Price is between the Mexican and US versions and they only do 2 colours Ivory and Stealth Black that are both "signature models" with chrome hardware, weird strap holders and kill switches on both.

They are a new series released around 6 months ago. They will be clearly labelled Made in Japan. Price is between the Mexican and US versions and they only do 2 colours Ivory and Stealth Black that are both "signature models" with chrome hardware, weird strap holders and kill switches on both.
Thanks! Just wondering also, the MIM models? Are they the lower priced ones, or are the ones below $1k made in Asia?
Also, I love the guitar in your profile image. Mostly I am in my ongoing search for a LP type guitar, and a semi-hollow, but the EVH guitars look nice and interesting also.

Back
Top Bottom