Migrating from a II to a III

A to the T

Experienced
I'm struggling with the notion of re-creating all my presets on the III.
A significant undertaking to say the least.
Additionally, I'd prefer to sell my II now (before the III arrives.)

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to run a screen recorder, launch Axe-Edit and cycle through every preset, every fx block, and misc setting to capture it all. I may actually attempt this later.

Starting from scratch won't work for me. I was forced to take this approach years ago between some Digitech gear and I was so disappointed with the progress that I eventually sold the new MFX unit and went back to using the prior model. No sense in starting from scratch with presets that have specific routings and fx settings. i.e. certain delay and flanger settings took me a long time to nail. I'm hoping I can carry them over.

Looking for other thoughts or suggestions on this.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Last edited:
I’d say just consider it a fresh start. With the 4 amp channels, more processing power etc, presets can be made which are more complex than what he 2 could do. I’d start fresh taking advantage of it.

I’d say just consider it a fresh start. With the 4 amp channels, more processing power etc, presets can be made which are more complex than what he 2 could do. I’d start fresh taking advantage of it.

Very true. Importing or hand-entering Axe-II presets would be a self-limiting start. Start with the new blank canvas and explore to find the edges and where there be tygers ....

Well - really depends on ones needs.

Many of my presets with "weird" routings and stuff like multi-tap delays tailored for specific songs will be nice to reference.

If it is "just" amp + cab settings a fresh start could be even inspirational.

I wish I had a useful suggestion.

The notion that a "fresh start" is an advantage, or that an import utility is a "self-limiting start" is not applicable to users with dozens or, in my case, hundreds of presets to migrate. A "fresh start" imposes weeks (or even months) of time wasted recreating what already exists. I know what amp models, cabs, effects, routing, modifiers, and parameter values each of my presets needs in order to nail a huge variety of well-known tones I use to pay the bills. I don't want or need to "start fresh" or experiment in an effort to potentially improve a huge number of tones that are already 100% satisfactory and that are needed for my job.

True that, even with an import utility, adjustments would need to be made. But that is a far cry from "starting fresh". According to Cliff, early III algorithms are essentially the same after the port, except for that some code compromises are no longer required to speed up processing. I would imagine that recreated or imported presets would be in the ballpark. The longer it takes for an import utility to appear, the less likely this scenario becomes.

Starting fresh is great for those who have a small number of presets, whose presets are not that complicated, or are not subject to time constraints. If you'd spent the better part of a year recreating your Ultra presets to the II, then faced the prospect of doing it all over again for a platform running essentially the same algorithms (at least initially), you might have a different perspective.

Last edited:
I've been tweaking, and perfecting my patches (I use one per song) since I first made them several years ago, so on some level I could see using an official tool to do this at least once. On another level, I've become very intimate with my patches, and I'm pretty sure I could spend a few hours recreating my patches from memory without any issues. Either way, I'd still have to tweak them a bit to implement the new tools available in the 3, plus it seems like a lot of trouble for something most people won't need, and the rest will only use once.

I started the previous thread about importing Axe II presets into the Axe III.

I just don't agree with this notion of a fresh start or that not supporting importing previous presets is somehow a good thing.

Every other device you buy usually allows you to import settings or content, and given that the Axe FX is significantly about configuration and customization I think it is madness not to support importing previous presets. People spent months perfecting their tones and to throw that work away is a tough sell for many.

I don't think it needs to be perfect, and Cliff suggests it is technically not too complex. I think this would help a lot of existing users.

For me I’d be happy to re-do all my amp block settings from scratch, but as for FX gs such as delays, pitch, etc. Well those settings are what they are, so it’d be helpful to be able to port the settings over somehow.

Really, this is like getting a *mega* new FW update... ;-) Some people prefer to start over, some prefer to go from where they are now.

For me, starting fresh would be a huge pain when I already have presets where the tone is dialed in, with various routings, scene controllers, mods, level settings, etc. I definitely prefer to migrate my current setup, (hopefully) w/ an importer, and then tweak. Worst case, I'd run both units in Edit and duplicate all my presets (fortunately I only have about 20 that I really use). Then I could look at ways to make them better and take advantage of all the new features. That's much easier for me than starting from scratch.

Every other device you buy usually allows you to import settings or content
Like what?

My friend couldn’t get Amplifi settings to a Helix, and my POD XT friends couldn’t get those anywhere. Will the new Boss GT1000 accept settings from a GT-8? Which devices are you referring to?

Regardless, Cliff has already stated that it is something that will be considered.

It’s also a question of how well the II presets will translate to the III. With all the changes in the blocks I really think your presets won’t sound the same at all when you migrate them. Also the effect settings will probably change. That will be major tweaking anyway to get them the same.

I hope not though. You can always keep your Axe II. Then you only have to redo the presets that you will use on gigs.

Last edited:
I definitely wouldn't want a fresh start with all the patches that I have worked on in replying for years I'd wanted at least keep the majority of them and then you still have hundreds of preset that you can start fresh on

Back
Top Bottom