Might ditch rig for an AXE FX2. Scared lo NEED EXPERT ADVICE

I've had my AXE FX II+ for 1 month now and couldn't be happier. I have kept my two amp rigs, but honestly I'm so astounded by the
sound and flexibility that at this point I don't foresee using them again except for tone comparisons etc. The learning curve will go very
quickly! I cannot wait to get home from work and fire it up, I'm like a little kid with the biggest smile ever! Do it! you won't regret it!

UPDATE:
So the axe came yesterday just 2 days after I ordered it, and I fired it up today! At first I was confused on how the heck to run it in my current tube amp combo setup. I followed the instructions in the manual and here's what I found (not sure if I'm doing something wrong)

Issue 1:
being as I'm running an analog board to a combo fender HRD tube amp I decided to bypass the pedal board completely and go to amp using the 4CM. As I remember seeing info stating that if not using an FRFR setup it's recommended to disable cab and amp sims in Global menu. I tried both and no matter what, all factory presets that have any OD or distortion sound pretty awful (muffled or hollow). I also noticed that ALL the controls on my actual combo amp seem to not respond to any adjustments, not even the volume. Is the 4CM to blame? Should I just try building my own presets due to the factory ones sounding like this?

Issue 2:
My main purpose of getting this awesome unit is because I use tones from many dif generas of music and sick of turning knobs trying to find where I had stuff set for an EJ tone ect ect. Now, how do I match an analog setting and copy that tone into a custom preset in the AxeFx? Obviously I think I'll have to rehook up everything the way it was prior to factoring in how to run cables to the AxeFx. Any help is greatly appreciated guys.

...I decided to bypass the pedal board completely and go to amp using the 4CM...ALL the controls on my actual combo amp seem to not respond to any adjustments, not even the volume. Is the 4CM to blame?
You haven't got your 4CM configured correctly. If you did, all those controls would work. Somehow, you're not actually using the preamp section of your amp. We need to get that sorted out before you can evaluate what it sounds like.

Read section 3.4.6 Axe-Fx II Four Cable Method (“4CM”). Read everything on that page, and follow all of the instructions there. That should get you configured properly. Then see what it sounds like. :)

UPDATE:

So the axe came yesterday just 2 days after I ordered it, and I fired it up today! At first I was confused on how the heck to run it in my current tube amp combo setup. I followed the instructions in the manual and here's what I found (not sure if I'm doing something wrong)

From what you are describing, it sounds to me that you probably cabled correctly but forgot to put in an effects loop block. Without the effects loop block you are not running 4 cable method. You were running Axe Fx straight to the power amp section of your amp and since you defeated the cab and amp sims in the Axe fx. YEAH I’m sure it sounded bad especially with a drive pedal engaged.

Since you want to run it for just effects for your amp as of now I would suggest keeping it simple. Start with a blank preset and the first thing you need is a row of shunts (left to right) and the virtual cable attaching them all from left to right. (at this point you should have sound coming out the amp, BUT it won’t sound right for now!) Drop an effects loop right in the center, at this point your amp should more like itself, you now have the 4 cable method running. Any shunt you change to the left of the effects loop block is before the preamp of your combo and to the right is after your preamp. Build your pedal board change those shunts to whatever you want.

For instant gratification: take a preset, change the cab block to a shunt and change the amp block to a effects loop block.

John

1. To use a cab, you will need a solid state amp that does not colour the tone in any way. I am using Matrix GT1000FX. I wouldn't call it cheap.
Or, you could use a tube power amp, and turn off power amp modelling in the axe fx.
2. Updating the firmware is easy.
3. Axe Edit is an App for pc or mac, that lets you edit your presets. All the same things can be done by pushing buttons on your axe fx, but axe edit is a lot easier to use.

I know you already purchased the unit, but I would highly recommend getting a powered FRFR system.

I have a 1x12 powered XiTone Wedge and it's KILLER.

I sold absolutely all my gear to afford an Axe Fx II, the MFC-101 pedal board and the XiTone and will neve go back. I've had them for 4 years now, and can honestly say that every single time I pick up my guitar, I find new inspiration from the many tones available.

I can also recommend watching as many youtubes as you can to learn to make up your own presets.

The crew here is AMAZING and have been very helpful to me and all who ask questions.

THe best advice I got and will pass to you is take it slow and easy. There is A LOT to learn, and it is worth every minute of time you put into it. Enjoy!!

From what you are describing, it sounds to me that you probably cabled correctly but forgot to put in an effects loop block. Without the effects loop block you are not running 4 cable method. You were running Axe Fx straight to the power amp section of your amp and since you defeated the cab and amp sims in the Axe fx. YEAH I’m sure it sounded bad especially with a drive pedal engaged.

Since you want to run it for just effects for your amp as of now I would suggest keeping it simple. Start with a blank preset and the first thing you need is a row of shunts (left to right) and the virtual cable attaching them all from left to right. (at this point you should have sound coming out the amp, BUT it won’t sound right for now!) Drop an effects loop right in the center, at this point your amp should more like itself, you now have the 4 cable method running. Any shunt you change to the left of the effects loop block is before the preamp of your combo and to the right is after your preamp. Build your pedal board change those shunts to whatever you want.

For instant gratification: take a preset, change the cab block to a shunt and change the amp block to a effects loop block.

John
Thanks John I'll try exactly that later tonight.

My first quest here is to use this great support advice and get a couple axe fx patches setup properly and get it sounding good with my combo amp.
Second quest will be pounding the forum on advice or if it's even possible on how to setup a patch specifically to match my analog (tones from my pedals/amp) setup. Is that the custom IR thing I've read about?

Custom IR's are just IR's not included with the unit itself and the FW updates. You buy them separately. Just think of IR's as Amp Cabs. That's it.

Second quest will be pounding the forum on advice or if it's even possible on how to setup a patch specifically to match my analog (tones from my pedals/amp) setup. Is that the custom IR thing I've read about?

Just take it piece at a time:

Get the 4 cable method working with your amp (since this seems to be your main goal right now), and start feeling what effects work for you and tweaking them. It’s really the same as using pedals just in a virtual environment change the order of the effects just by drag and dropping into place. (I assume you are going to use the editor for PC/MAC) However !! You can keep your routing options simple or get very complexed for example Lets run the compressor or reverb or delay in parallel and way way more------.
For the 4 cable method the effects loop block is the center of you universe.

Also use your Axe Fx with some studio monitors get the feel of playing FRFR great for those 2:00AM ideas you just have to lay down. With FRFR the amp and cab blocks are the center of your universe.

Other things you can do: did you create an effects chain that you really like while hooked up to your amp using the 4 cable method?? Cool ! Keep that preset copy it to a different location on the Axe Fx delete the effects loop and add an amp block and cab block to use FRFR. And of course you can do the opposite.

Don’t worry about custom IR’ s right now you will find plenty of factory standard IR’s that sound great! I have allot of cab packs but still use some factory standards. Keep in mind with the Axe Fx you can shoot a impulse of your own cab using your own microphones, if your cab was very unique.

Advice (for what it is worth)
For now don’t depend on the Axe Fx for your gigs till you get better acquaint.
Just enjoy it and push yourself to learn it ask questions read the manual and so on.
During this process everything will fall into place and won’t be frustrating.
There is nothing as frustrating as being at a gig and have to alter something and not sure how to do it. And jump on your phone and post a “Help” message on the forum while at the gig. And YES ! This has happened in the past.

John

UPDATE:
Well thanks to all the great supporters on this forum I, FAS n00b, have learned how to setup the grid for 4CM and realized how much better it sounds not running 4CM but rather jamming with L+R studio monitors and using the amp/cab IR's Fractal has to offer in the AxeFx! I guess that's running FRFR? Damn last week I didn't know what any of that guff meant, let alone actually doing it!
My next question is how do I do the custom IR from my analog setup and get that tone saved as a preset in the AxeFx??

UPDATE:
Well thanks to all the great supporters on this forum I, FAS n00b, have learned how to setup the grid for 4CM and realized how much better it sounds not running 4CM but rather jamming with L+R studio monitors and using the amp/cab IR's Fractal has to offer in the AxeFx! I guess that's running FRFR?
Congratulations! You're on the road. :)

My next question is how do I do the custom IR from my analog setup and get that tone saved as a preset in the AxeFx??
Download the Axe-FX II Cab IR Capture Guide from the Fractal website. Four pages of yummy goodness that will get you started off on good footing.

Congratulations! You're on the road. :)
Damn, no surprise I didn't even know that that existed. I must check this out!!! This was 90% of my reasoning for getting the AxeFx! I've got about 7 analog "presets" that I used to dial in from my little settings notebook but obviously that takes way to much time.

Download the Axe-FX II Cab IR Capture Guide from the Fractal website. Four pages of yummy goodness that will get you started off on good footing.

Back
Top Bottom