Might be on cusp of figuring out Tone Match issue with firmwares since FW9

romanianreaper

Power User
As many have noticed, it seems to be more difficult to get a great sounding Tone Match with current firmware versions than it was back with FW9. I am a huge fan of the Tone Match feature and have used it extensively with great results. Since FW10, I have not been able to get a great Tone Match and end up with something in the ballpark but ruined with a "hollow", "underwater" type tone.

One of the other forum members suggested doing a Tone Match with the "Version9" adjustments such as turning MIMIC off, picking a FW9 cab, etc., etc. These adjustments, along with using the "smoothing" feature set at 50% after recording, have resulted in me getting a much more reasonable sound. It is not back to the way it was, but I'm hoping I'm heading in the right direction.

For anyone who remembers the original Tone Match, it seemed that my reference and local peaks would be nearly identical back then when I would do a Tone Match. Now, the local peaks look similar but are lower and don't seem to reach the same highs as the reference. I think this might have something to do with the tonal issue but I'm not a sound engineer so don't know what I can figure out.

I'd be curious to see what others find out about the Tone Match with "Version 9" setup. Let me know!! :)

Interesting. I haven't had any problems with TMs with V11 and I've been doing several lately. No "underwater" type tone here. In fact, I've compared my TMs with the originals using Izotope Ozone's "snapshot" feature and they've been nearly identical except in the extreme lows and extreme highs.

Interesting. I haven't had any problems with TMs with V11 and I've been doing several lately. No "underwater" type tone here. In fact, I've compared my TMs with the originals using Izotope Ozone's "snapshot" feature and they've been nearly identical except in the extreme lows and extreme highs.

I have been using ozone for this process. In regard to the extreme highs/lows, which did u find was more accurate, ozone or TM?

I have been using ozone for this process. In regard to the extreme highs/lows, which did u find was more accurate, ozone or TM?

Difficult to say just using my ears because it's such a negligible amount. Usually Ozone shows a little less (very little) around 80hz and below and just a little more way up high (above 15khz). I've decided to just stay with exactly what the Axe TM gives me. Sounds right and extremely close to the original to me.

We aren't experiencing any issues here. In fact we just used TM to match an extremely high-profile band's stems for an upcoming concert. They were so happy with the results they ordered 8 units. I can't say who the band is except that they are one of the largest acts in the world.

We aren't experiencing any issues here. In fact we just used TM to match an extremely high-profile band's stems for an upcoming concert. They were so happy with the results they ordered 8 units. I can't say who the band is except that they are one of the largest acts in the world.

Aerosmith! No wait, ACDC!

Hmm, interesting. Am I the only one having issues with Tone Match??!!

Can someone briefly, in short bullet format, describe their Tone Match process so I can make sure I'm on the same page? Here is mine:

- Replace Cab Block with a TM Block (or after Cab Block)
- Select "USB" as source
- Change "Ref" and "Local" both to L+RSum
- Start source music and hit "X" on AxeFX-II. Hit Stop when finished
- Start playing guitar and hit "Y" on AxeFX-II. Hit Stop when finished
- Hit "Enter" to merge tones

Is this basically it?

Can someone briefly, in short bullet format, describe their Tone Match process so I can make sure I'm on the same page? Here is mine:

- Select "USB" as source

Is this basically it?

By the way, I'm going to retackle this and adjust some things. I didn't bypass effects and also can probably lengthen the record window a bit. Thanks all for your help. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

- Select "USB" as source

Is this basically it?

I always have local set to "L" and reference to either "L" or "R" depending on what side I want the Axe to listen to. I always balance the reference material to one side as well...not sure if that really makes a difference or not, though.

Would someone set this straight:

When Tone Matching via USB what should the "Ref" be set to, and what should the "Local" be set to?

Now, the local peaks look similar but are lower and don't seem to reach the same highs as the reference.

I am assuming your running Stems, Moggs or other isolated guitar tracks. Check your level out. If the levels look lower then your reference volume may not be high enough.

Back
Top Bottom