MIDI via USB?

greiswig

Power User
I'm wondering if there is a way to enable MIDI program changes via the USB input on the AxeFX? Especially if it will also allow the normal MIDI in port to be used as well.

I'm trying to have Bandhelper send some sequenced patch changes via a Yamaha UD-BT01, while I use a pedalboard for controlling individual effects on the preset. But the MIDI light on the AxeFX isn't even lighting at all with changes, although the UD-BT01 is showing that it's receiving them via bluetooth.

Thanks!

Hmm... I thought it did, but that is using the Axe Fx drivers on a computer.

How are you connecting the device to the Axe Fx? I don't think that will work as the USB port is for a "client" not a "host".

Man, that had me worried! I also use Bandhelper to send preset/scene changes per song, and had not tried it yet with my new FXIII. Just plugged up my computer (Win10) to FXIII (and FXII at same time, 2 different USB cables/ports on computer), and Bandhelper is changing presets on both FXIII and FXII, so mine is working as before. I do not use the UB-BT01 so can't check that... but MIDI is coming into the USB port on my FXIII from my computer. Whew...

And BTW - have my MFC-101 on the MIDI In port of FX III - is also working at same time as MIDI In from computer on USB port.

Last edited:
Verify that the III has incoming PCs enabled in Global [Edit: Setup].

Last edited:
I think so (not at home).

I think it’s called “Program Changes”. This controls incoming PCs.

Sending PCs is a separate entry in Setup.

Last edited:
Verify that the III has incoming PCs enabled in Global [Edit: Setup].

Yeah, I think we're talking Setup > MIDI/Remote > Program Change (On), right?

It's on. I'm getting program changes from my MIDI pedalboard into the regular MIDI port. So maybe this little Yamaha device doesn't work as I'd expect or else there is a separate setting for the USB port...or the Yamaha thing is defective.

The fact that the MIDI light on the AxeFX doesn't light up is telling me something, but I don't know what. I've tried setting channels to omni, too, but that doesn't change anything.

@zionplayer, I haven't used Bandhelper on anything but an iPad, and there's no app to run it straight from a Macbook. On the Macbook, AFAIK, I'm just logging into the web site to do editing of documents and such...no "live play" mode there. How are you using Bandhelper on the PC to send MIDI?

EDIT: Doesn't AxeEdit use MIDI? I can connect that fine, and the MIDI light on the AxeFX lights up.

The UD-BT01 is only compatible with Yamaha products.

That would explain it. I’ve used their MD-BT01 with non-Yamaha products just fine, but that uses the standard MIDI port.

So their protocol is different or something?

Last edited:
Yeah, I think we're talking Setup > MIDI/Remote > Program Change (On), right?

It's on. I'm getting program changes from my MIDI pedalboard into the regular MIDI port. So maybe this little Yamaha device doesn't work as I'd expect or else there is a separate setting for the USB port...or the Yamaha thing is defective.

The fact that the MIDI light on the AxeFX doesn't light up is telling me something, but I don't know what. I've tried setting channels to omni, too, but that doesn't change anything.

@zionplayer, I haven't used Bandhelper on anything but an iPad, and there's no app to run it straight from a Macbook. On the Macbook, AFAIK, I'm just logging into the web site to do editing of documents and such...no "live play" mode there. How are you using Bandhelper on the PC to send MIDI?

EDIT: Doesn't AxeEdit use MIDI? I can connect that fine, and the MIDI light on the AxeFX lights up.
Did you flash the UD-BT01 firmware to 1.04?

I really don't know what I am doing - just was able to get it to work, so others can probably help us both out. I use MacBook Pro when gigging to run our lights, and have my iPad connected to the same wireless network as the MacBook. Use Audio Midi Studio to add iPad to the Participants in the Midi Network Setup window, cable USB to Axe FX. I have to click "Connect" for my iPad each time I restart the computer or Bandhelper or login from screen saver on iPad - is really annoying that its not automatically re-connecting. iPad also doesn't show up sometime until I have BandHelper send a Midi command.

At home and for practice I use a win10 PC, running rtpMidi, and sometimes MidiOx to make sure In's and Out ports are set up correctly. USB to Axe FX, basically the same setup, just a PC version.

Really spoiled having Bandhelper change presets and scenes live for each song as we go down the set list - have gotten to where I leave "reveal" on my MFC about all the time, where I have scenes 1-5 programmed. Had a couple of fill in gigs where I didn't take my computer, and I was like "How do I remember what preset goes with what song"?

BTW - I did have an MD-BT01 and tried it on my FX II and it worked great to changes patches; but had a big problem as the Tap Tempo and Tuner both send tons of Midi messages back to BandHelper and some of them were screwing with things. Can turn that off in config, but then MFC didn't get Tempo light or tuner. Got around that by plugging it into my MFC Midi ports and that worked as well. With my FX III I need the Midi port to connect MFC to FX III, so I am looking forward to the FC pedal which doesn't use Midi protocol - plan to run FC using FASlink2, then plug MD-BT01 into Midi port, see if that works to avoid USB cable to computer and the annoying re-connect issue.

I use bandhelper to change presets as well. I'm not sure I could work without it now. It is an amazing program and Arlo is very responsive.

What I do is run a cable from the iPad to the MFC in. (You need one of those lightning to usb/usb to midi things) The program changes now are received on the MFC1 and if you run a cable from MFC Out to Axe III in the MFC will change the presets on the Axe - At least until the FC's come :)

MM

Did you flash the UD-BT01 firmware to 1.04?

I will make sure of the firmware update. Thank you for the suggestion.

Regarding the UD-BT01 only being compatible with Yamaha products, I know the MD-BT01 works, but it uses the 5-pin port, not the USB. However, the utility Yamaha provides to update firmware and manage the devices is the same for both pieces of hardware. So I suspect a unique Yamaha MIDI protocol is not actually the issue.

Last edited:
BTW - I did have an MD-BT01 and tried it on my FX II and it worked great to changes patches; but had a big problem as the Tap Tempo and Tuner both send tons of Midi messages back to BandHelper and some of them were screwing with things.

I noticed that as well. I am trying to figure out a way to power the MD-BT01 I have without plugging it in to an out port. All I need that side of it for is power, since the powers the whole thing.

You’d think it would be really easy to do, but putting my Fluke voltmeter across any of the pins on a MIDI out port doesn’t show any voltage like I’d expect; no 3.3V or 5V anywhere. I thought power would be on 1 and 5, or between them and the shield. Can’t seem to measure any!

Strange, it works with AX8/FX8

Edit : thought more about it and i think it doesn't work with III's usb because it's not only a midi over usb port but also has audio endpoints

M. Grenadine, I upgraded from 1.0.0 to 1.0.4, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Would it be the same connections on the USB cable carrying both MIDI and audio, or might it be possible to adapt a USB cable so that it wasn't trying to shove digital audio through the UD-BT01?

It is kind of strange how few wireless MIDI options there are. I'm looking to control a bunch of different things across my band with this, including keyboards and even mixer settings for when we don't have a soundman to help with who's doing lead vocals on different songs.

M. Grenadine, I upgraded from 1.0.0 to 1.0.4, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Would it be the same connections on the USB cable carrying both MIDI and audio, or might it be possible to adapt a USB cable so that it wasn't trying to shove digital audio through the UD-BT01?

It is kind of strange how few wireless MIDI options there are. I'm looking to control a bunch of different things across my band with this, including keyboards and even mixer settings for when we don't have a soundman to help with who's doing lead vocals on different songs.
Your only option seems to be the MD-bt01 on the axefx III

I use ableton to do this. Yes, it's just a matter of sending a program change. I don't know the program you're using, but as far as Ableton goes, I use one "dummy" midi clip per ableton-scene to send a program change and another "dummy" clip to send axe-scene changes with control #34. No idea how this info translates into your program, but it works. Also great to know that Axe II can accept messages over usb and midi at the same time!

I will make sure of the firmware update. Thank you for the suggestion.

Regarding the UD-BT01 only being compatible with Yamaha products, I know the MD-BT01 works, but it uses the 5-pin port, not the USB. However, the utility Yamaha provides to update firmware and manage the devices is the same for both pieces of hardware. So I suspect a unique Yamaha MIDI protocol is not actually the issue.
The standard midi doesn’t have any “power”. “De facto” standards use 7pin connectors to run a +ve and ground. Some devices “are able to power themselves from the standard ports” but this is usually the output port and mostly doesn’t work (see the long list of “midi solution” products which don’t work with xxx for example. The axefx 3 doesn’t do the 7pin thang... like the afx2 did.

Back
Top Bottom