Midi Thru from MFC to ableton

zimdar

hey there. i'm having trouble sending CC data from the MFC in Axe fx mode thru the axe into ableton live via usb. the basic idea is to be able to use some of the switches from the MFC to control ableton live.

so far i'm able to send control changes from ableton to the axe, so i know the coputer and the axe are talking to each other. but i can't get any data from the MFC to go thru the axe and into ableton via usb.

signal path as follows:

IA switch set to cc#80 (axe fx function set to "none") => ethernet => axe fx (midi thru enabled) => usb => ableton live on a mac.

i'm reasonably confident that i have ableton configured correctly, as i'm pretty experienced with that whole end of the deal, but am new to the axe and mfc.

is there something i'm missing and/or does anyone have any tips?

thanks!

Hello Zimdar,

I'm sorry I cannot answer your question but I can welcome you to the forum!

:)

Stick around there are so much knowledge on this forum, that with some patience you can pretty much get
answers about anything related to the world of AXE FX and music.

you have a good one

Thanks, guys.

After reading through the manual, that looks like the correct answer.

will try it out today and report back.

well, no dice on the "USB adapter mode" :(

a closer read of the manual reveals that "inbound midi ... is processed by the axe-fx ii and also forwarded to the AXE FX II MIDI OUT PORT"

so it looks like Chris@KatsuKuriMedia was correct that midi data doesn't go out through the usb, but through the midi ports.

once again, i'll modify the setup and report back.

yup that was it. a usb midi hub connected to the axe was the way to get it done.

thanks for the help guys! i really appreciate it.

i'm sure i'll be back with more questions....

yup that was it. a usb midi hub connected to the axe (with usb adapter mode enabled) was the way to get it done.

thanks for the help guys! i really appreciate it.

i'm sure i'll be back with more questions....

USB adapter mode doesn't matter if connecting Axe MIDI thru port to a USB-MIDI interface. In that case it's the MIDI thru setting that's required.

It really should work with USB adapter mode and a USB cable connecting Axe to computer. Are you sure you had the Axe-FX selected as MIDI input in Ableton?

i just know that the MIDI port works for sure. never tried Thru over USB. if Bakerman says it works, it works.

(well he said it should work... so yeah!)

and USB adaptor mode has nothing to do with the MIDI out ports.

Last edited:
thanks for the clarification. i had both enabled just to be safe. in any case it's working now.

bakerman, yes i had it enabled as a midi input in ableton. when i was working with usb i tried the snoise midi monitoring program that simeon recommended and nothing was showing up there. so i guess that will remain a mystery for now. i can take a second look tomorrow just for educational purposes.

the final setup will be part of a much larger rig (i play guitar in a cirque du soleil show, and we're working towards controlling our ableton set with the MFC). ultimately we're going to be using the midi port. i just thought it would be easier for practice purposes to use usb without connecting to the larger system, but a simple external usb midi hub is getting the job done for now.

anyway, once again thanks for the help guys!!

Back
Top Bottom