MIDI/Remote Settings Issue - FW 1.10

Thanks for the feedback is9582 and slinky005.

hippietim - I may not get back around my Axe till tomorrow but, will report back then upon further testing. Going by memory, I don’t recall the MC6 sending anything at the Axe’s boot cycle but, I will need to confirm that.

There’s no activity until I press a switch on the MC6.

I have swapped to a brand new cable and no change. Unfortunately, I have no other midi devices to test against.

Any chance you might have a phone charger that has USB port(s), like what I’m using? Might be interesting to see if a different power source changes the behavior. Especially since it seems it’s only when your MC6 is powered and connected during the Axe boot process, that it causes issues. Just a thought. Good luck with it.

Any chance you might have a phone charger that has USB port(s), like what I’m using? Might be interesting to see if a different power source changes the behavior. Especially since it seems it’s only when your MC6 is powered and connected during the Axe boot process, that it causes issues. Just a thought. Good luck with it.

I’ll check it out. I believe I did swap between the 9v barrel connector and USB>Laptop. I would think the USB is USB but, I’ve seen stranger root causes than that in my IT career, lol.

Yeah, me too. Just thought of that possibility as James (@MorningstarFX ) told me the barrel power input jack had to be negative on the center pin (and this may be totally irrelevant) while the DIN connector could handle either polarity. Perhaps the barrel connector circuitry vs USB power circuitry is enough different to make a difference? Hope it might possibly help.

So, I spent about 20 minutes powering on with different scenarios. It seems to be an intermittent issue now. Sometimes it will actually work with power connected to the controller. It’s worked/not worked with power via USB as well as the barrel connection. When it doesn’t work, I’ve found that simply power cycling the MC6 resolves it.

When the MC6 is on and the III is powering on, there are no midi messages being transferred according to midimonitor. Very strange. Easy workaround but, strange nonetheless.

Wow, that is interesting. I’m glad you found a way around the issues, when it occurs. Dang intermittent problems were always the worst to try sorting out.

You did say that you were connecting to your Axe with a single midi cable, didn’t you? I’m pretty much a noob at this midi stuff, but I wonder if one of the two devices might have a voltage either a little high or low compared to what is expected. I’d be tempted to put my multimeter on each midi pin, one at a time, to see what is present at boot. Probably more work than is needed since you found a work around.

Cheers

Lee

Wow, that is interesting. I’m glad you found a way around the issues, when it occurs. Dang intermittent problems were always the worst to try sorting out.

You did say that you were connecting to your Axe with a single midi cable, didn’t you? I’m pretty much a noob at this midi stuff, but I wonder if one of the two devices might have a voltage either a little high or low compared to what is expected. I’d be tempted to put my multimeter on each midi pin, one at a time, to see what is present at boot. Probably more work than is needed since you found a work around.

Cheers

Lee

Believe me, I would have had my multimeter out but, alas, it is packed in storage with the rest my tools :( We are staying with family while we build our new home. One day, I’ll have an office to work and record music in and a shop to build guitars. Until then, all is on hold except for some small moments of play time with the Axe III :)

Thanks for the tips and ideas!!

Back
Top Bottom