Confirmed Midi/Remote: Just selection of scene increment/decrement is possible with external switch & Stand-in switches: "External Switch" isn't possible w/o FC

TheRedDevil

Inspired
I built an external switch based on this description w/o FC usage for my AXE FX III:

I used a TRS cable for Tip/Sleeve for first switch (& Ring/Sleeve for second Switch for future FM3 use cases) and a second TS Cable in parallel for Tip/Sleeve for second Switch. I checked it with I/O - Pedal and it works perfect when both TRS and TS cables are connected to Expression Port 1+2 (Momentary and Latching modes).

I tried to use Midi/Remote Learn Mode for Preset Increment/Decrement and Tuner but nothing was found! WHY? Is it a bug?

Just for selection of scene increment/decrement the both External Switch 1 & 2 are found and tune on heel down also works but is not useful, because two events (scene change and Tune popup) happen in parallel. I wished there would be an simple hold feature to increment/decrement presents too.
I also set selection to None and tried it with preset again. It doesn't work.

P.S. I can't understand, that the FM3 is able to handle an external two buttom switch with TRS cable but the AXE FX III Turbo not.

Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.05 Release is installed.

Last edited:
You're not using a midi switch so midi learn is completely irrelevant.

You can set up your external switches as stand-in switches, then assign the Preset Increment/Decrement.

And you are correct, the Axe Fx III and FM9 support only a single switch per jack while the FM3 supports 1 or 2.

You can assign switches directly to functions in the MIDI/Remote menu. You just have to manually scroll to them after all the CC#'s.

You can assign switches directly to functions in the MIDI/Remote menu. You just have to manually scroll to them after all the CC#'s.
You're not using a midi switch so midi learn is completely irrelevant.

You can set up your external switches as stand-in switches, then assign the Preset Increment/Decre ....
Thanks, but that is wrong. There is no Pedal available for preset,tuner functions but for scene/tuneonheeldown it is. Definitively a bug.

Last edited:
Confirmed. The pedal and switch options are in fact missing from Preset Increment and Decrement in the MIDI/Remote menu.

You can still use the Stand-In switch method unix-guy mentioned though.

And you are correct, the Axe Fx III and FM9 support only a single switch per jack while the FM3 supports 1 or 2.

WISH: But why, that's just a SW limitation. The AXE FX III is able to handle self-build TRS cable based expression pedals but not a TRS based double button switch. That can't be a HW limitation.

This is the first time that I'm annoyed that I paid twice the price. I always thought the AX FX III could do everything except the internal FC switches. For me it makes no sense to buy a large FC controller if I just want to increase/decrease presents/scenes sometimes for tests and start the tuner.

@Cliff, please add the same feature like for FM3. Not everybody that uses AXE FX III is a professional.

Page 34 of the FC-6 and FC-12 manual.
Thank you, but thats what I already tried based on the video.

In the Stand-In-Switch tab there is no PEDAL available, just FC1, FC2 ... (I have no FC just an external switch (EZ and Remote are empty, no device found).

I can't define Pedal 1 or 2 to a Layout or Switch. Somewhere I need to define FC1 SW1 = Pedal 1 and FC1 SW2 = Pedal 2, or? What am I doing wrong?

That's what I'm was looking for the in AXE FX III, too, not only for FM3:

Attachments

• IMG_20231218_085254.jpg
    IMG_20231218_085254.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231218_085303.jpg
    IMG_20231218_085303.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231218_085313.jpg
    IMG_20231218_085313.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231218_085332.jpg
    IMG_20231218_085332.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231218_085343.jpg
    IMG_20231218_085343.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231218_085402.jpg
    IMG_20231218_085402.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20231218_094649.jpg
    IMG_20231218_094649.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231218_094656.jpg
    IMG_20231218_094656.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
BUG2: In stand-in switches menu "External Switch" is missing in the AXE FX III, I just have FC x Switch 1-4 :cry:

Last edited:
That's not a bug. Stand-In switches are a function of the FC controllers. If you don't have an FC controller, you'll have to use MIDI until the pedal options get added to the MIDI/Remote menu for Preset Inc/Dec.

That's not a bug. Stand-In switches are a function of the FC controllers. If you don't have an FC controller, you'll have to use MIDI until the pedal options get added to the MIDI/Remote menu for Preset Inc/Dec.
:( Oh, that is bad and unbelievable. My cheap Marshall Code was able to do this basic thing. When I invest much money in a Axe FX III it can happen, that I don't have enough anymore. I should have taken the FM3 ... Bad that this not transparent when you compare both variants in the web shop.

Ok, thank you! Could you please tell me how I can do that with my switches or do I need a special Midi pedalboard?

Last edited:
You would need a MIDI controller of some kind in order to send MIDI message to the Axe III. There's lots of options out there depending on your budget. If you search around the MIDI section here on the forum you should find some options there. I used a Behringer FCB1010 with my Axe II years ago and it worked well for basic control. It's only $160 and has expression pedals built in too. @voes also makes a number of reasonably priced controllers that have lots of functions too.

I'd wager that Cliff should be able to get the pedal options added to the MIDI/Remote menu for Preset Inc/Dec. Seems like it just got missed at some point since a number of other functions there support them.

WISH: But why, that's just a SW limitation. The AXE FX III is able to handle self-build TRS cable based expression pedals but not a TRS based double button switch. That can't be a HW limitation.

This is the first time that I'm annoyed that I paid twice the price. I always thought the AX FX III could do everything except the internal FC switches. For me it makes no sense to buy a large FC controller if I just want to increase/decrease presents/scenes sometimes for tests and start the tuner.

@Cliff, please add the same feature like for FM3. Not everybody that uses AXE FX III is a professional.
No, it's not.

Fractal has previously confirmed it's a limitation that cannot be changed by the firmware.

Firmware 24.00 solves the preset increment/decrement issue but not the tuner issue. It's still not selectable with a external switch, just heel down tuner. I already ordered a FC6, Fractal Audio won the match ;)
I had no motivation for a Behringer midi pedalboard anymore and I'm sure I will love the FC6 like my FXIII.

Firmware 24.00 solves the preset increment/decrement issue but not the tuner issue. It's still not selectable with a external switch, just heel down tuner.
The Tuner on Heel Down function can be used for this if you don't need it activated from another expression pedal or anything else. Set it to the Pedal port your switch is connected to, and the switch will toggle the tuner. Latching or momentary switches will both work. Set switch type accordingly at I/O: Pedal.

That's right but I don't want to heel down the button all the time while tuning my guitar and the feature is there to start the tuner with an external switch, but the bug doesn't let me to select the switch button. Please check all Midi/Remote - Others settings if external switch is missing.

You don't need to hold the switch; it will toggle the tuner with each press if you have the switch hardware type set properly. I verified this yesterday before posting that. Try it out.
That's right but still a workaround based on switch property change.

Back
Top Bottom