Midi Program Change From Axe's Front Panel? RJM Mini Amp Gizmo.

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hi all,

Just a quick question I'm using the RJM Mini Amp Gizmo to change channels on my Mark V. Is there a way to enable a midi program change when the presets are changed without using the MFC-101? I asked Ron at RJM and he reckons the axe doesn't do this when just changing presets on the from panel.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Does the AXE have midi-thru or midi-out? Not sure why you couldn't send a PC on another midi channel onto your Gizmo, via the AXE midi out/thru?

Does the AXE have midi-thru or midi-out? Not sure why you couldn't send a PC on another midi channel onto your Gizmo, via the AXE midi out/thru?

The axe does have a midi thru, would that not affect program changes when I hook up the mfc? I'd like the option to do both If possible.

The Axe-FX doesn't generate PCs when you change presets via front panel; that's why it's not possible. IIRC, someone at Fractal mentioned they're aware that having Axe-Edit follow front panel changes would be useful, but that's no guarantee the feature (if added) would use normal PCs instead of sysex.

I guess I'm a little confused on the question... if you're just using the front panel, then I wouldn't know, but it sounds like that has been answered. If you're using some form of MIDI controller to send MIDI commands to the AXE (via a MIDI channel), then you should be able send the AXE a command one 1 channel, and send the Gizmo a command on a 2nd channel. The AXE should pass through the commands. If you're using the MFC (and the special cable) it doesn't sound like it's using MIDI commands, so that probably wont' work with the MFC. Sorry, I'm probably not much help since I don't own either yet. Just going by what I know about MIDI commands/controllers.

I guess I'm a little confused on the question...

"Is there a way to enable a midi program change when the presets are changed without using the MFC-101?"

I think the OP means without the MFC and also without any other sort of controller/gear attached, leaving it only to switching patches with the front panel controls. At this time, switching patches from the front panel does not create a midi program change so it doesn't tell the amp gizmo to change channels on the mark v.

No, the Axe-Fx does not send a midi program change when a preset is loaded.

Having it do so would generate lots of "garbage" PCs as you'd turn the wheel. The PC message could possibly be delayed by some "safe window" but many, including me, would find that delay quite unsatisfactory.

Best to use a Midi Foot Controller or other device to generate your program change message.

out of curiosity, would a PC from the MFC pass through the Axe's MIDI thru?

Yes. That is the definition of MIDI Thru actually. Whatever is present at the MIDI in is present at MIDI Thru.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Back
Top Bottom