Midi issue

Knaggster

Experienced
I have a problem getting my FM9 to respond to Midi commands to change Scenes. With my Axe FX III and FM3 I send CC#100 with a Value corresponding to the Scene I want to select. This CC# has been assigned in Midi/Remote Setup to the Scene Select function. As far as I can see, everything is set up identically to the FM3 and Axe FX III but the Scene does not change in the FM9. Preset selection works fine. I must be missing something, but I'll be darned if I can see what it is . . . It makes no difference whether I use the Midi or USB connections on the FM9.

FWIW, the commands are being sent from OnSong running on an iPad Pro. Everything executes perfectly on the FM3 and Axe FX III.

I'd start with this - Go to the scenes layout on your FM9 and use midi to change the scene; does the scene change? There is a known bug where the main display is not updating but the scene itself should be changing.

I'd start with this - Go to the scenes layout on your FM9 and use midi to change the scene; does the scene change? There is a known bug where the main display is not updating but the scene itself should be changing.
I will check that - thanks.

Maybe not the same issue, but an odd one for sure... On my FX III, for years I would send a Preset change which often then had a Scene change attached to it (Bandhelper lets you hook them together). Individually, the Preset and Scene Midi commands worked fine on both FX III and FM9, but when hooked together it would not change Scene on FM9, only Preset. I added the Scene change CC# to the FM9 Preset itself, works like a charm. Seems the units handle the incoming Midi a little differently maybe?

FWIW - I am using Bluetooth Midi on the Midi ports, not the USB port.

Silly question but must confirm, is scene change within the FM9 midi settings set to CC#100? I assume it is but mine as well get this one out of the way

Maybe not the same issue, but an odd one for sure... On my FX III, for years I would send a Preset change which often then had a Scene change attached to it (Bandhelper lets you hook them together). Individually, the Preset and Scene Midi commands worked fine on both FX III and FM9, but when hooked together it would not change Scene on FM9, only Preset. I added the Scene change CC# to the FM9 Preset itself, works like a charm. Seems the units handle the incoming Midi a little differently maybe?

FWIW - I am using Bluetooth Midi on the Midi ports, not the USB port.
I even thought it might not be able to process the Scene change quickly enough (the Helix had that problem). Unlike with the Helix, however, setting a 400 ms delay between the two commands did not fix it.

Its really whatever you want to set it to - I set mine to CC#34, as that is what I have been using for a long time so all my automation is setup for it that way. (Setup/Midi/Other)

Well I use preset and scene changes all the time from Ableton. I did use Onsong years ago and I recall some issues with it, but I was just using it for preset changes when I would pull up a song. So I guess what are you using the scene change within Onsong for? I assume you want to load a certain song and have it go to a shared preset, but a specific scene for that song?

Well I use preset and scene changes all the time from Ableton. I did use Onsong years ago and I recall some issues with it, but I was just using it for preset changes when I would pull up a song. So I guess what are you using the scene change within Onsong for? I assume you want to load a certain song and have it go to a shared preset, but a specific scene for that song?
Are you using Ableton to change scenes with the FM9? I use OnSong to select the Preset and starting Scene. It works fine with the FM3 and Axe FX III so it definitely isn’t OnSong at fault here.

It is indeed. It would be great if someone else could try executing a Scene change over midi just to rule out user error :):)
My FM9/FX3 rig does Preset, Scene, and CS over MIDI....

1102210919_HDR.jpg

The FC6 runs the FX3 Turbo out-of-frame atop the SpaceStationXL. Occasionally a CS on either FM9 or FX3/FC6 will poke at a thing on the opposite device, as I figured a way to share the CS from each to the other to net 12 CS in each, total....

Yes I use Ableton to do both - call up a preset at the start of a song and then change scenes during the song for the various sections.

Because it's working without issue on the FM3 and AxeFxIII I'm really at a loss.

Back
Top Bottom