midi for axe fxII

boblazz

im looking to purchase an axe unit. i was hoping the axe 8 would be out or more info on this but gas has struck and now i am thinking on a used fxII. a few questions here. i believe i saw that there were 2 models , the axe fx mark I and the mark II? what is there a big difference between the two? and i also gig with the kemper right now. it has a performance area on it where i can put patches where i want and hook up a simple midi toggle switch to advance the patches. is this doable on the axe?

All models of the Axe-Fx have extensive MIDI control. You can control it with any equipment that can send CC and PC commands. Fractal audio also makes the MFC-101 MIDI Foot Controller which is sort of a companion piece with many great defaults for operating the Axe-Fx though it can control any MIDI enabled equipment.

thanks for the info. can you set up a patch area for a performance? like so i wouldnt have to go from like patch #95 to # 3. i could organize them in an order for a gig.?

thanks for the info. can you set up a patch area for a performance? like so i wouldnt have to go from like patch #95 to # 3. i could organize them in an order for a gig.?

The AxeEdit software allows you to easily arrange individual patches in any order you like. Easy peasy.

its sounding better all the time!

Hey boblazz,

That is true - it does sound better, but no-one answered your first question - the difference between an Axe I and an Axe II. The only difference between a I and a II is the presence on the II of what is called an "Ethercon" connector to connect the MFC-101 foot pedal. This means you can use an Ethernet cable - Cat 5 cable like your computer has, very inexpensive, between the Axe and the pedal unit.

However, there are several versions in the II family, and I think your focus should be getting an Axe II XL vs an Axe II. The XL has significantly improved memory and CPU capabilities. It is the Ferrari of Axe's (well - some would argue the XL + is the Ferrari. The XL+ has a better display and some other fairly subtle differences over the Axe II XL. My guess is that you would be pretty hard pressed to find an XL + used. They are pretty new and few people would be dumping them. But you should be able to get an Axe FX II XL used fairly easily.) That will put you directly in the current world of Axe users. BTW - this board is fantastic for getting help and talking about the Axe. There are thousands of users out here all doing what you are doing. Someone almost always has had the same problem or will walk you through a fix.

As for the second question - can you set up a "Favorites" set on your Axe and use it to handle patches for your performance - absolutely. How you do it depends on what you use for a pedal. Worst case you can simply re-order the patches you like in the Axe itself and simply use the pedal to move up or down 1 patch. That is doable with any foot controller. If you have some cash and can afford an MFC-101, that opens you to an incredible world of set lists that come native in the MFC. You also get access to something called "Scenes", which are a method of assigning up to 8 iterations of a patch in an easily accessed bank. So if you have a patch that you like with a nice clean sound, and then want it a little softer, with a chorus on it for the verse, and then add some easy drive to it for the chorus, and then kick in the OD for your solo, you can do all of that exceptionally easily in scenes. IMHO - scenes are worth every nickel you spend on the MFC. (You can do scenes with other foot pedals, they are actually a part of the AxeFX - but it takes a pretty good command of Midi.)

I am of the mind that you want to spend that time with your hands on the guitar, and not learning midi. If that is the case - and you are serious about the Axe, then I would suggest buying an Axe FX II XL, and grab an MFC-101 Mark III or better. (The MFC's have their own releases as well. The Mark II or Mark III is what you want. I think. At least that will get you the best connectivity.
I hope all this helps - sorry I was so long winded. I tend to ramble! :)

Oh - one last thing - there is a "For Sale" section of this board. Check that for users dumping their Axe units - you might get a great deal!

Joe

hey joe, thanks so much for the in-depth answers. these answers really are helpful! right now im torn between getting the axeII or waiting for the axe8 . but there is not much info out there on the axe8 so i will probably investigate the axeII a litle more. thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom