MIDI Clock

hoots

I can't seem to get MIDI clock to go out the midi thru port on the axe2. In the midi implamentation guide it clearly states that the axe won't transmit the clock but I'm a little surprised it won't pass it through. I tried every setting I could think of and yes, the midi thru is turned on. Has anyone else been able to send out MIDI clock from a sequencer and have it go on to another piece of equipment down the line? The axe is recognizing the clock, no problem.

thanks

if this is the case, you could always try placing the Axe last in the MIDI chain

do you have an MFC connected via the ethernet cable?

if this is the case, you could always try placing the Axe last in the MIDI chain

do you have an MFC connected via the ethernet cable?

Yes, I wanted to set up the external switches on the MFC to control some equipment downstream.

thanks for the reply

hmmm... I'm not sure about this....

but I have a feeling that the Axe can either transmit MIDI via the traditional DIN connector or the ethernet, but not both...
I can't be 100% sure.. but I seem to recall reading something about this once..

Q - does it work if you take away the MFC and set MIDI to use the DIN?

anyways.. thinking on this....
if the Axe is only controlling / controlled by the MFC then it makes sense to place these at the end of the chain...
even more so as the Axe don't have to handle MTC / MMC or note messages

I kinda had this working not exactly the same, but I was getting a horrible clicking in time to the midi through the speakers when playing at band levels....I put it down to cabling issue, but have to gotten round to tracking the issue down as it was intermittent.

Anyway, I was using the MFC to set the tempo on my eclipse, this fed other devices in the chain and eventually went back into the Axe-FX, the chain would have been....

MFC>Axe-FX(Cat5)>MIDIOUT>Eclipse>Space>Axe-FX(MIDIIN)

Not exactly the same, but seemed to work.... But as I say I got noise from somewhere.

Edit: must also say that I would LOVE the Axe-FX to have an internal MIDI clock for other devices to sync to, I know the arguments for an external source...but it is nice to have the Axe-FX/MFC be the main brain for things as they interact so well together, you start to compromise functionality when you start to have other items as a time source.... At least with the methods I have researched and tried.

Last edited:
hmmm... I'm not sure about this....

but I have a feeling that the Axe can either transmit MIDI via the traditional DIN connector or the ethernet, but not both...
I can't be 100% sure.. but I seem to recall reading something about this once..

Q - does it work if you take away the MFC and set MIDI to use the DIN?

anyways.. thinking on this....
if the Axe is only controlling / controlled by the MFC then it makes sense to place these at the end of the chain...
even more so as the Axe don't have to handle MTC / MMC or note messages

Clarky
I remembered something about that too, but that is the MFC that has that setting. Just to be sure I tried turning off USB on the AXE...still no joy.

BadMelonFarmer
The AXE is controlled by the sequencer ie.PC,CC#,MTC etc. I like the simplicity of one cat cable to the pedal board without having to run MIDI cables both ways.
I'm not sure I understand how the MFC was used as the clock?

thanks

Last edited:
It would surprise me if THRU isn't just THRU.
You turned the THRU on under MIDI:I/O, right?

I was trying to figure this out saturday..i have a timeline on my pedalboard along with the mfc, trying to figure out how to have both units (axe2 and timeline) sync'd by the
the same tap i have in my MFC switch port 3/4..never got it ironed out...

Back
Top Bottom