Midi Clock Syncing the Axe-Fx 3

The Wookie

Hi,

I need to clock sync my Axe FX 3 with my drummer's sound module for live shows.

My band are using more complex delays in the studio that are BPM specific using dotted 4ths/8ths and other experimental timings etc. We're recreating this properly for live use - drummer plays along to a click track on Roland V-Drums module, the band (and guitar fx) follows the drummer. We need complex delay timings to be synced to the midi clock in the drum module.

How would I go about doing this? Your experiences or any info would be awesome.

Thanks!

Thanks @hippietim,

Perfect just what I needed, I’ll give it a read.

I’ve currently set delays to Tempo manually on the Axe FX atm. Presume then that midi clock being sent from the drum module will override the Axe FX?

So does the Axefx 3 forward midi clock received at it's MIDI input to it's MIDI output and MIDI thru jacks?

It appears to NOT be forwarding it via the MIDI out jack. This information would be nice to have mentioned in the Tempo section of the manual.

So does the Axefx 3 forward midi clock received at it's MIDI input to it's MIDI output and MIDI thru jacks?

It appears to NOT be forwarding it via the MIDI out jack. This information would be nice to have mentioned in the Tempo section of the manual.
The Midi out jack is for midi generated by the Axe Fx. The Midi thru jack is a pass-thru.

This has nothing to do with the Tempo section, so why would you expect it to be documented there?

The Midi out jack is for midi generated by the Axe Fx. The Midi thru jack is a pass-thru.

This has nothing to do with the Tempo section, so why would you expect it to be documented there?

Mainly because I couldn't find any other better suitable chapter for that info.
MIDI clock (and related info) and tempo seem like pretty closely related topics to me.

I guess I'm used to the way the Kemper lets you choose to use the THRU jack as a second optional OUT for passing midiclock and kind of expected that same option when I rewired my whole rig to be centered around the AXE3. Also now realizing that AXE3 doesn't generate a MIDIclock at all so I guess I have to make the Kemper the master for midi switching the AXE3 then. (I use both Kemper and AXE3). Only thing sux about that is how handy the AXE3 handles midi controllers, I have used the AXE3 to very easily remap an old foot controller to change scenes. Now if I put the Kemper first, I would have to translate the messages from the foot controller using one of my Bome boxes which are currently not working correctly :( to switch scenes on the Kemper which would then send PC to the AXE3 to change it's scenes. All would be solved with an RJM.....

Mainly because I couldn't find any other better suitable chapter for that info.
MIDI clock (and related info) and tempo seem like pretty closely related topics to me.

I guess I'm used to the way the Kemper lets you choose to use the THRU jack as a second optional OUT for passing midiclock and kind of expected that same option when I rewired my whole rig to be centered around the AXE3. Also now realizing that AXE3 doesn't generate a MIDIclock at all so I guess I have to make the Kemper the master for midi switching the AXE3 then. (I use both Kemper and AXE3). Only thing sux about that is how handy the AXE3 handles midi controllers, I have used the AXE3 to very easily remap an old foot controller to change scenes. Now if I put the Kemper first, I would have to translate the messages from the foot controller using one of my Bome boxes which are currently not working correctly :( to switch scenes on the Kemper which would then send PC to the AXE3 to change it's scenes. All would be solved with an RJM.....
But there is nothing special about midi clock with the Axe Fx. That is just external midi.

Page 17 of the manual explains the Midi thru...

Back
Top Bottom