Midi cable lenght

MrGuitarabuse

Fractal Fanatic
Short and newbie question here...

Can a very long midi cable between AXE-FX and the MFC can have any negative effect in terms of performance, communicaiton, power, connection etc?? (Im thinking 7-pin for also powering the MFC)

thanks

/Urban

The MIDI spec calls for a maximum cable length of 50 feet (15 meters). Whether you can exceed this length depends on the individual MIDI devices you're connecting. MIDI is a fairly forgiving standard: data rates are low, and current loops are used for transmission (current loops are inherently more resistant to noise than voltage detection methods). Most MIDI-powered devices have low current draw, so powering items over long distances is less of an issue than it might be. However, I don't know what cable diameters correspond to what amount of voltage loss at a given current, so I have no idea how long is too long.

In general, MIDI either works or it doesn't. The standard isn't smart enough to slow itself down when conditions are less than ideal. So gin up a MIDI cable of the length you want to use and give it a try.

The MIDI spec calls for a maximum cable length of 50 feet (15 meters). Whether you can exceed this length depends on the individual MIDI devices you're connecting. MIDI is a fairly forgiving standard: data rates are low, and current loops are used for transmission (current loops are inherently more resistant to noise than voltage detection methods). Most MIDI-powered devices have low current draw, so powering items over long distances is less of an issue than it might be. However, I don't know what cable diameters correspond to what amount of voltage loss at a given current, so I have no idea how long is too long.

In general, MIDI either works or it doesn't. The standard isn't smart enough to slow itself down when conditions are less than ideal. So gin up a MIDI cable of the length you want to use and give it a try.

Rex!

Thank god for you and all tech wiz people out there helping a confused soul here.
I didnt plan on anything over 10-12 meters so according to your advice, I just go for it then and it should (hopefully) work

/Urban

If it works with a one-meter cable, it should work fine at 10-12 meters. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom