MIDI A/B Box ?

mwd

Power User
I still use my Ultra live and use MIDI via computer to change presets. It's rack mounted with light trees next to rack so it's kind of a pain to get to the back in our rehearsal area. Not to mention my old man limitations crawling around plugging and unplugging stuff.

Sometimes I need to unplug the MIDI from the Ultra and plug in an older XP laptop via separate interface to make edits using the old editor.

I need the equivalent of a MIDI A/B box where I can leave it all plugged in and flip from one source to the other. I wrote MIDI solutions and they don't see to have anything that would work.

Any other sources or ideas?

I just thought of another possibility if I'm thinking right. Please chime in on my theory.

I have one of these:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm

In my MIDI daisy chain I am only using the MIDI IN to trigger preset changes. I am using the MIDI THRU to pass MIDI to the next device in the chain. So for my preset change operations I am only using IN and THRU.

My editing chain has to use MIDI IN and OUT.

I can leave THRU as it is. I could use the Merge device above to connect both MIDI IN sources to do either preset changes or editing.

Then just run the Ultra MIDI OUT to the editor chain.

Like the OP I could use a MIDI A/B box, with the output either going to output A, or to output B.

I don't think the merger is right for me. I don't need to select between two inputs, I need to select between two outputs. With the signal going from the input to either output A, and not output B, or from input to output B, and not out output A. There has to be a switchable interrupt.

I don't think the merger is right for me. I don't need to select between two inputs, I need to select between two outputs. With the signal going from the input to either output A, and not output B, or from input to output B, and not out output A. There has to be a switchable interrupt.
You could still use a MIDI merger. Just use one device at a time.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how does a MIDI merger helps me to alternate sending MIDI signals to only one device, and not the other?

Maybe I'm missing something, but how does a MIDI merger helps me to alternate sending MIDI signals to only one device, and not the other?
My mistake. I was going off of the requirements of the OP, not your requirements.

Back
Top Bottom