MFC to Engage/Select Whammy V setting via Midi?

imrecs

Inspired
The Digitech Whammy V has midi control capability using Program Changes to choose a setting and a bypass state. I.E. Octave Up Active is CC#2 Octave Up Bypass is CC#23, Octave Down Active is CC#8 and Bypass is CC#29.

Haven't bought an MFC yet but want to see if it will be possible to set 2 of the buttons to on/off for the Whammy via midi? Button 1 to Octave Up On/Off, and button 2 to Octave Down On/Off. Will this be possible? What happens if I have 1 of them on and click the other without turning the first one off? Would there be a conflict?

A couple of things, imrecs. CC numbers aren't Program Change messages - they are Control Change messages, just to clarify.

The MFC-101 can send both CC and PC (Program Change) messages to the Whammy. Depending on how you're going to use the whammy it might be more practical to use the Whammy's own on/of switch because you're foot will need to be on it's expression pedal anyway. If you're not going to actually change the pitch in realtime while playing and don't need to use the Whammy's expression pedal then you could use the MFC-101 for that.

There would be no conflict if one is selected on and you press the other switch - the Whammy will immediately switch to the most recent CC received.

You would, of course, have to dedicate those two IA switches to the Whammy and therefore not have them available for Axe-Fx functions. You might consider using Presets and use the Internal CC functions as another possibility.

Short answer is yes, you can do it. I recommend that you download the MFC-101 Owner's manual and read it first. Certainly you can do what you want with the MFC-101 and control the Whammy. It's fairly straightforward.

Yeah I meant program change not cc.

I think the best method will be to have a footswitch that I can connect to the MFC or directly to the whammy that allows me to scroll up or down the settings on the whammy and engage it via the pedal directly. I do use the expression pedal for the most part (sometimes I leave it on octave down completely).

Is there a 2 button footswitch that would work well for this fiction to connect to the MFC or just the whammy directly? Connecting it to the whammy is probably better as I'll save a FS input on the MFC

Back
Top Bottom