MFC Tip Of The Day: a "My Favorite Preset" switch

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The MFC has this great feature: Global Preset. When pressing a preset switch a 2nd time, it recalls the preset you've specified as your most often used preset.

But ... you may not want to use this feature, for several possible reasons. I'll name a few.
  • Global Preset recalls the preset but does not switch you back to its bank.
  • Using Global Preset can be confusing.
  • You prefer using the "double preset press" for Alternate Preset or Backtracking.
Here's how accomplish something similar through an alternative, maybe even better, way.

I call this my HOME or MAIN switch.

1. Press Edit > Setup, page to "IA.. type" and set one IA to "Momentary".
  2. Press Edit > MIDI, page to "IA.. Axe-Fx ..", select the correct IA and set it "None".
  3. Page to "IA.. c1 CC...", select the correct IA and set it to "CC#Off".
  4. Page to "IA.. pOF ..", select the correct IA, change pOF into pON and set it to your favorite preset number.
  5. Exit Edit mode.
That's it. Now you have an IA dedicated to your favorite preset, always accessible, in whatever bank you are. Also, pressing it switches to the bank that contains the preset (requires TotalSync switched on).

And hey, if you got two favorite presets, go wild and create two of these switches!

Note: if you want to switch to a certain scene within that preset, you can try adding #CC34+scene value to the switch. Haven't tested this myself though.

Last edited:
I think I just figured out how I want to use Scenes. I'm going to setup "genre" presets each with all the scenes I need for the different things I need. So, 1 "genre" would be my original band, which at a press of a button should take me to a default state ready to play anything I do with that band. Then, for my cover band, I could setup a "Grunge" preset with all the sounds I need for those tunes on the set list, etc... Oh man. This is going to be awesome! Thanks Yek!

This is the "Beam me up Scottie" switch, for those who dare to explore the outer regions of Axistance (ie the higher bank numbers) during live gigs.

Reactions: yek
I need some help with the scene selection while using this technique. If I set CC#34 on the same switch (IA11), the next page is off value and on value. I put the "on" value to 002 (Scene 3) and the Off value to "OFF" or "000" and either way, when I hit the button it selects the Preset correctly, scene 3, then immediately changes to scene 1.

I have IA's 1-3 set to select Scenes 1-3, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Edit: Figured it out using "Map to" feature. That. is. awesome.

Last edited:
Cool tip yek.
I dont use any presets with my mfc-101, only scenes.
It would be amazing if switching the HOME/MAIN switch to off state would return to the preset i was in. That didnt happend when i tried.

Is that possible?

Cool tip yek.
I dont use any presets with my mfc-101, only scenes.
It would be amazing if switching the HOME/MAIN switch to off state would return to the preset i was in. That didnt happend when i tried.

Is that possible?

No, only a dedicated Preset switch (which this is not) can be set to "Backtracking" when pushed a 2nd time.

I use this alt preset for my piezo acoustic patch. No matter where I am in the banks I can press that and have instant acoustic. Its awesome

The MFC has this great feature: Global Preset. When pressing a preset switch a 2nd time, it recalls the preset you've specified as your most often used preset.

But ... you may not want to use this feature, for several possible reasons. I'll name a few.
  • Global Preset recalls the preset but does not switch you back to its bank.
  • Using Global Preset can be confusing.
  • You prefer using the "double preset press" for Alternate Preset or Backtracking.
Here's how accomplish something similar through an alternative, maybe even better, way.

I call this my HOME or MAIN switch.

1. Press Edit > Setup, page to "IA.. type" and set one IA to "Momentary".
  2. Press Edit > MIDI, page to "IA.. Axe-Fx ..", select the correct IA and set it "None".
  3. Page to "IA.. c1 CC...", select the correct IA and set it to "CC#Off".
  4. Page to "IA.. pOF ..", select the correct IA, change pOF into pON and set it to your favorite preset number.
  5. Exit Edit mode.
That's it. Now you have an IA dedicated to your favorite preset, always accessible, in whatever bank you are. Also, pressing it switches to the bank that contains the preset (requires TotalSync switched on).

And hey, if you got two favorite presets, go wild and create two of these switches!

Note: if you want to switch to a certain scene within that preset, you can try adding #CC34+scene value to the switch. Haven't tested this myself though.
YEK, after going through this process.....and EXIT/SAVE....i find it doesnt save the settings? Can you please help? Peter

Back
Top Bottom