mfc switches...volume of the actual hardware switches...

I have an MFC 101 mark 1...the switches are pretty loud when i switch them. and the tap tempo kind of sucks for response....is the mark 3 any better?

If it is so important to have the noiseless switches, then someone will gladly pay you "$520.00 shipped" (as evidenced above) and for the the cost of the new switches (have you souced and costed the new switches?) and the value of a few hours of your time, (Not to mention the risk of destroying your MFC) you can easily just buy the Mk III - And it will have the XLR FASlink to boot. Doesn't make sense to do a mod when you can just sell and upgrade. I love my MkI MFC and like the switches as they are. But if you don't, then take the easy "sell and upgrade" path and call it a day. IMHO, Or risk it and tear it down. Find out for yourself exactly why that is not such a popular choice.

If it is so important to have the noiseless switches, then someone will gladly pay you "$520.00 shipped" (as evidenced above) and for the the cost of the new switches (have you souced and costed the new switches?) and the value of a few hours of your time, (Not to mention the risk of destroying your MFC) you can easily just buy the Mk III - And it will have the XLR FASlink to boot. Doesn't make sense to do a mod when you can just sell and upgrade. I love my MkI MFC and like the switches as they are. But if you don't, then take the easy "sell and upgrade" path and call it a day. IMHO, Or risk it and tear it down. Find out for yourself exactly why that is not such a popular choice.

Sure i hear ya...

WARNING: I do not know if these switches will work..probably the wrong switch but they cant be more than $4.00 ? maybe less if i buy 21 ? I dont know..just throwing it out there

Momentary SPST NO "Soft-Touch"

I definitely want a Mark III. Still have my Mark I from a million years ago.

The switches are very loud in most playing environments for me. Mostly not "band" levels, due to the quiet nature of the Axe Direct.

I'm curious how you plan to do this, and the parts you use. Hope that's ok?

Ya, sorry to come off like that....i dont know yet..i was hoping there was a pro in LA maybe or ? im not sure yet. This thing isn't the Space Shuttle. I'm sure it can be done..

But i hear everyone on just doing the upgrade to the mark III...but im low on cash...shipping is pricey right now. etc etc etc....

I definitely want a Mark III. Still have my Mark I from a million years ago.

The switches are very loud in most playing environments for me. Mostly not "band" levels, due to the quiet nature of the Axe Direct.

I agree Chris

I do alot of jazz gigs, quiet atmosphere gigs.....i do rock gigs too and that doesnt matter ..but ya they can be loud in certain situations.

Ya, sorry to come off like that....i dont know yet..i was hoping there was a pro in LA maybe or ? im not sure yet. This thing isn't the Space Shuttle. I'm sure it can be done..

But i hear everyone on just doing the upgrade to the mark III...but im low on cash...shipping is pricey right now. etc etc etc....

I was debating about buying an MKIII also, but can't afford it right now. It would be about $400 more (dollar conversion, shipping, duty etch) than the MKI I just bought.
Of course I would like to have the new style switches, but the MKI switches don't bother me that much..... and I'm ok with them.

Keep us posted on how you decide to proceed.

and with the MFC Mark 3, i need to buy the fas link converter for my axe fx 2?? correct?

If you wish to connect via XLR to your AxeFX MKI/MKII you need the adapter. Keep in mind you also have the option of Midi or the ether port so not mandatory.

Has anyone asked FAS if the MK III switches are interchangable with the MK I switches? Maybe FAS could recommend a replacement switch for those wanting to upgrade their earlier units.

Has anyone asked FAS if the MK III switches are interchangable with the MK I switches? Maybe FAS could recommend a replacement switch for those wanting to upgrade their earlier units.

I emailed Sean about this..they cant do the conversion, don't know anyone who can and he cant tell me what kind of switch or point me in a direction to find them because they are patented ?...So in so many words your F'ed. sell the mark 1 and buy the new one..is what it sounds like....naaa

that's it.

Assuming this isn't something that you need to have right this second, stay on the look out for used MFC Mark IIIs. I've seen them out there. Buy one when you feel you've gotten a good price. Then sell the MFC Mark I at the price you can get. If you are patient, you'll buy and sell at a good price. I was patient buying an MFC Mark I and got it for $460 shipped .. plus it came with magnetic labels that I turned around and sold for $25.

I'd do that before modding the Mark I. At best, you spend more in time and money to get it done, at worst you hear yourself say "oops" while the solder is flowing. Having a stock Mark I to sell is preferable to having a broken Mark I to sell.

Time is such a big factor. If it takes 15 minutes to carefully replace each switch, that's over 5 hours, not counting prep, problems and testing. Makes the math hard to work out. Taking shipping out of the equation and a new Mark III = $750. Sell used Mark I = $500. That's $250 to pony up. If you can't budget $250, them maybe with patience you get a used Mark III for $650. $150 to pony up. Now use that $150 instead to buy parts. Maybe the parts run $100. You've saved $50 before even getting into the 5 hours of time spent and system down time, and at greater risk.

But, if you dare, and you get the switches changed out for under $100, I'm sure people will want to know how.

Last edited:
I emailed Sean about this..they cant do the conversion, don't know anyone who can and he cant tell me what kind of switch or point me in a direction to find them because they are patented ?...So in so many words your F'ed. sell the mark 1 and buy the new one..is what it sounds like....naaa

that's it.

If I were to mod mine, I would only change the bottom row (which I use for changing Scenes). The only roadblock is finding a compatible switch. I find it unlikely that FAS is now in the business of building and patenting their own switches, but anything is possible I suppose. I'll do some research on available soft switches and see if any are compatible. FAS could make it easy on us and just tell us if any are available, I don't see any harm in modding older units that are out of warranty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom