MFC Patch change latency with AFXII

benson

Inspired
Is there any way to improve the above? For live use it's a little slow with a split second gap inbetween. I guess it's an irritant more than a real problem, just curious encase I'm missing something.

Cheers,
Tony

Is your MFC updated to latest FW?

Are you plugged into a laptop?

Using spillover?

The "delay" between switching setups is bound to how much CPU is used by the Axe. Although the axe allows you to use up to 97% of the CPU, I highly recommend to stay below 80% to make preset switching more "smooth". With over 90% not only will it be slower but also you might have artifacts.

My advice, depending on how much flexibility you need would be to check out X/Y switching. It has it's own set of annoyances but is much quicker at switching than preset switching.

Cheers.

The "delay" between switching setups is bound to how much CPU is used by the Axe. Although the axe allows you to use up to 97% of the CPU, I highly recommend to stay below 80% to make preset switching more "smooth". With over 90% not only will it be slower but also you might have artifacts.

I find it hard to stay below 95% CPU on my core patch let alone 80% :) I'm going to create a couple of low CPU intensive patches and see if I have the same issue.

My advice, depending on how much flexibility you need would be to check out X/Y switching. It has it's own set of annoyances but is much quicker at switching than preset switching.

Cheers.

Good tip, many thanks.

I find it hard to stay below 95% CPU on my core patch let alone 80% :) I'm going to create a couple of low CPU intensive patches and see if I have the same issue.
All I can say is: remove high-cost blocks like Reverb if the effect is very subtle anyway. In most live or rehearsal situations, adding a "medium room" reverb is not neccesary anyway.
Also, you can reduce the resolution of your CAB model to lo-res. The difference is hardly noticable, but you save roughly 10-15%.

All I can say is: remove high-cost blocks like Reverb if the effect is very subtle anyway. In most live or rehearsal situations, adding a "medium room" reverb is not neccesary anyway.
Also, you can reduce the resolution of your CAB model to lo-res. The difference is hardly noticable, but you save roughly 10-15%.

Thanks for the tips, I'll give them both a try.

You can also use a different method. Rather than use AxeFX modes on your IA's, set them as General Midi. Assign the appropriate CC's for your FX, X/Y etc. You lose the red/green function, instead the lights are off/on which I prefer anyway. In this method, the on/off state of IA's is not "read" from the AxeFX patch, it is controlled by the MFC and stored in the MFC patch.

Here's an example setup, using the 5 preset mode of MFC. In one bank, program all 5 presets to send PC #1, which is your "Super Patch" on the AxeFX. For simplicity, say the chain is OD, Amp (Clean/Dirty via XY), Delay, Chorus, Tremelo and you have the second row of 5 programmed as General Midi IA's for each of these.

Now, the fun part. You get to program the IA's live. Kick Preset 1 switch on MFC. Engage Clean Amp, Delay, Chorus. You see the Edit light blink, stomp that switch. Done, now those IA states are stored in MFC Preset 1 and it will call up your clean/delay/chorus sound. Repeat for preset 2, etc. Once you've done it a few times it's second nature, and easy to program live. You can of course expand this to include as many FX blocks, Amps etc as you can cram into one patch and have IA switches available. The AxeFX stays on the same preset, the MFC has 5 presets that will store various combinations of IA's.

I have tested patch time extensively. I have not found patch change time related to CPU use until very high percentages, like in mid to high 90s (when glitchiness starts to appear).

My advice, depending on how much flexibility you need would be to check out X/Y switching. It has it's own set of annoyances but is much quicker at switching than preset switching. Cheers.
Amp drop is the same whether you x/y or change patch. However, do it not disturbing any of the other effects it may appear faster.

Cheers.

Amp drop is the same whether you x/y or change patch. However, do it not disturbing any of the other effects it may appear faster.

There's no doubt about it that it's faster, I assume from your answer that that's because I'm just changing the amp and cab and sometimes a drive pedal. Could you extrapolate from that then that there would be no or very little drop out when switching patches that were only amp and cab?

Cheers.

There's no doubt about it that it's faster, I assume from your answer that that's because I'm just changing the amp and cab and sometimes a drive pedal. Could you extrapolate from that then that there would be no or very little drop out when switching patches that were only amp and cab?

Cheers.
You can also switch amps without the XY, using 2 amp blocks.

Are they workimg on a fix for the latency i know in my rack system i had a dry signal in my bradshaw mixer so when my fx processors would change programs the dry signal does not drop out and you dont hear it. I havent used my axefxll live yet, i think in a live situation you wouldn't. Hear it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom