MFC or upgrade to AXE II?

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
As the title says. Got my coupon. Here are my thoughts: sell my Ultra upgrade the Axe II I'll be spending roughly the same amount as what the MFC costs. A conundrum indeed. I have a FCB1010 (uno) that works reasonably well for basic preset switching but the IA feedback loop would be nice with the MFC. thoughts?

Depends on how you intend to use the MFC, if you want to enjoy the full potential of MFC with IA, X/Y, tuner, tempo, axe mode, song mode etc etc (maybe some of this can be achieved with the 1010 also, Im not sure) then perhaps go with the MFC

BUT...

If you are OK with your current 1010 setup and it basically does what you want to do, AXE II away I say ;)

ALSO..

buying the MFC causes some extra costs in terms of external pedals (if you dont have it already) the 1010 has 2 built in if Im not mistaken

I'd def go with the II. Too much to be missing out on man! :D You will probably eventually get the mfc anyways, so stick to the 1010 for now and join the club! ;)

I'd say it depends on how satisfied you are with your current foot controller relative to your Ultra. What are you using?

I was in the same position, and went for the Ultra/MFC option. I am using the 4 cable method with a Mesa Boogie Triaxis for my tube tones... But I looove the way I can control all of my effects (modfactor>ultra>timefactor) with the MFC... Song mode is great! Basically I have 10 IAs for my triaxis tones and so far, 15 "songs" which are really grouped effects, such as chorus or flange or delay or wah or faves, for example... Having instant access to 384 presets is amazing!

Since the Ax Fx II's main benefit is truer tube amp sims, I figured I could pass on it.

That's true. But then you're also missing out on better fx (some much better), new fx (eg that awesome tape delay!) and other new features, like the IR capture and the soon-to-be-added-profiling. You'll also miss out on the new humbuster technology and reduced noise. Not to mention the usb features....like reamping and recording straight to DAW. And the best feature of all - according to M@ - 'the best is always yet to come'.

There are too many advantages of the II, which is why I decided to make the jump myself. Even without the better amp sims, the tape delay and IR capture alone are well worth the price of admission.

The MFC is cool (though I'd love some more programming options similar to Liquid Foot), but I'd say the II in a heartbeat. For me the bottom line is always sound and the II just sounds a lot better to me as well as having a bunch of features that make it much easier to use and integrate into my world. Plus you're going to get profiling and who knows what else. A Kemper is something like $1800 and nothing they do to the MFC is going to make it worth that (I'd love to be wrong).

thanks for the comments. It's not like i used a plethora of effects at once so the IA feature might not be a huge loss for me. I can still use ripwerx with my uno fcb and program the effects for each preset and have a button for the x/y feature...which i have yet to learn more about. the fcb does give me two expression pedals already and i have a mission sp-1 for wah. I'm thinking that AXE II might be the way to go...time to advertise my Ultra local to see if i get any bites first. problem is not many are familiar with fractal in my city it seems.

Should have put it another way, the benefits of going from the standard/ultra to the II, far outweigh the benefits if going from the FCB1010 (uno) to the MFC.

Back
Top Bottom