MFC - Initial Thoughts, issues

Philip

Inspired
Had it for a few days. Spent about 3 hours with it. I like it a lot. Physically, it is nice. Like the "stepped" design. Like the buttons. They are a bit closer together than on the GCP, but it isn't an issue for my size 11s.

One thing I haven't figured out how to do, or if it is possible, is to have say IA7 be the IA for phase, and flange. So if a preset has phase it would control it, if it has flange it would control it, and if it had both, they would both engage\disengage. Basically, I don't want to use "reveal" and I would rather have an IA labeled, "MODS" that I can assign to all modulation effects.

Also, and this is the biggest adjustment for me, is the "bank changing." I really prefer the way the GCP would pull up a bank and text scroll all the presets in that bank. Also, the preset would stay on the one selected until you step on a new preset from that bank. The MFC changes presets immediately when you push bank up. Also, it doesn't go to the first preset in the bank, it goes to the same preset number in the bank as the preset you are coming from- I would prefer that it went automatically to the first in the bank. I easily use 50-60 presets per show, and have about 100 that I use regularly, so trying to find them is easier with the sort of "bank preset preview" that the GCP does.

Love the design though! Fits in my rack drawer. Tuner is GREAT to have at the feet finally. Nice to have it linking directly to the Axe and not have to program presets in both units.
All in all, happy with the purchase and will not miss the GCP

-Phil

P.S. - Oh, and yes, the LEDS are BRIGHT! Not too bright for me, but holy shit, it is the first thing you notice when you flip the unit on.

Philip said:
P.S. - Oh, and yes, the LEDS are BRIGHT! Not too bright for me, but holy shit, it is the first thing you notice when you flip the unit on.

Masking tape dots are your friend.

<rant>
OUCH! I really dislike the reply FractalAudio. Just saying RTFM is not good customer service. I love the products - but the attitude on service has to change otherwise you will go from a raising star to simply an arrogant one. I own a business as well and I don't treat customers this way - being a better product only goes so far, eventually you have to be a better company too.

A good example would be -
thanks for the feedback - really glad you like the product - you can actually do what your asking for in the manual check out page 48 and on - I think that will explain it. let me know if you have any more trouble.

Takes 30 seconds - makes a big impression.
</rant>

Philip - I may get what your saying incorrectly, but I'll try to help. You can change your Instant Access (IA) settings by stepping on Edit then Midi then clicking on Page Right a few times till you see IA01 Axe-FX Blah. You use the parameter left right to select the id and the function and Up/Down to change the values. This is written about on page 48 of manual (v1.0.1) or section 12.4.6.

As for multiple settings these is were the the next few pages come into play (I believe) were you can manually add messages to the switches. The MFC gives you tons of programming options - so look into CCs for what you are trying to do.

As for the Bank Question - see page 57 (section 12.5.7). That should solve that problem -

Philip said:
One thing I haven't figured out how to do, or if it is possible, is to have say IA7 be the IA for phase, and flange. So if a preset has phase it would control it, if it has flange it would control it, and if it had both, they would both engage\disengage. Basically, I don't want to use "reveal" and I would rather have an IA labeled, "MODS" that I can assign to all modulation effects.

This can be accomplished by using the same CC for those modul.fx.
On the Axe go to I/O > Control and select the same CC for those effects.
On the MFC program a switch to switch that CC.

denniscox said:
<rant>
OUCH! I really dislike the reply FractalAudio. Just saying RTFM is not good customer service. I love the products - but the attitude on service has to change otherwise you will go from a raising star to simply an arrogant one. I own a business as well and I don't treat customers this way - being a better product only goes so far, eventually you have to be a better company too.

A good example would be -
thanks for the feedback - really glad you like the product - you can actually do what your asking for in the manual check out page 48 and on - I think that will explain it. let me know if you have any more trouble.

I agree Deniscox with you..Why do I have the impression that growing big on succes lead to arogance ?
Is the same here..
Fractal Audio take a customer advice : It won`t do any harm to you to be more resonable with those guys who ask for help
and ( more important) who bought your products.And will cost you nothing.
( maybe only 30 sec. as Deniscox said)
Still.. a very happy customer
( no ofence here..)
Virgil

OT

virgil said:
I agree Deniscox with you..Why do I have the impression that growing big on succes lead to arogance ?
I agree *and* disagree :)

1) his style has never changed from the beginning, I think?
2) you should not automatically project negativity into someone's simple words (!!!)
3) if he would do like you suggest, there would only come more "lazy questions" to answer. We'd all rather have he spends that time on firmware, no?
4) you should be glad to get an answer at all from Himself. We can bet he's busy.
5) but yes, something in between would be nice. Jus one or two more words or a smiley

I bet if 3 to 5 more negative things are said about Fractal this entire thread will magically disappear! As long as there are people justifying these types of actions, it will continue. Its like the kid in school that got bullied by the bully, and would somehow justify it to himself and everyone else. I think the Axe FX is an amazing product, the best of its kind. Until I can name the presets what I want in song mode, the MFC101 isn't going to be my controller in the end. Waiting for a firmware update with this feature! I started a thread about this much needed feature and it magically disappeared!

yek said:
Philip said:

This can be accomplished by using the same CC for those modul.fx.
On the Axe go to I/O > Control and select the same CC for those effects.
On the MFC program a switch to switch that CC.

I too would like e.g. my modulation effects on one IA. I do this currently from the Axe as described above with my All Access & want to do the same on my brand new MFC. Do I need to set the IA to NONE on the MFC to accomplish this? Will I then lose the dual Led colour feature?
Thanks, Paul

Wandering Trees said:
I bet if 3 to 5 more negative things are said about Fractal this entire thread will magically disappear! As long as there are people justifying these types of actions, it will continue. Its like the kid in school that got bullied by the bully, and would somehow justify it to himself and everyone else. I think the Axe FX is an amazing product, the best of its kind. Until I can name the presets what I want in song mode, the MFC101 isn't going to be my controller in the end. Waiting for a firmware update with this feature! I started a thread about this much needed feature and it magically disappeared!

Do you mean this one: http://fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=20744?

Or this one: http://fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=20914&p=187844#p187844?

Or this mention here: http://fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=20938&p=187997#p187997?

I don't read any arrogance in FA's post, just a simple "you can do this, and it's covered in the manual". Teach a man to fish, etc. Enjoy your MFC, Philip!

FractalAudio said:
Both of those "issues" are simply programming. See the manuals.

I think a lot of people on web forums instantly wince when they see someone "quoting" another post. I am not one of them. My feelings are not hurt.

Another one of my "issues" is that I don't want to sit down and read the manual. I want instant gratification by getting easy answers from other users who have read the manual.

:)

-Phil

IMO if you have some midi experience..the issues you are trying to remedy are very basic...you most likely wouldn't have to read the manual...just flipping through the menus you would figure it out.

If you don't have midi experience..then you should read the manual so you can understand what you are doing in case of a problem down the road and can't get to the forum for help.

+1 for instant gratification!

Cliff's postings are informative and useful. Usually very direct and to the point, but the knowledge dispersed is incredibly valuable to us. Everyone has an opinion but often Cliff is the ONLY one with real answers and I'm so glad he shares. Geniuses at his level rarely have all the social grace stuff too. I can live with that. I'd hate for him to one day read a thread like this and say "f-it! Enough. I'm through posting on forums, I don't need this abuse".

If I had just launched a new product, I'd be annoyed when people post about 'issues' that aren't real. Potential customers scan the forum thread titles and go "oh oh.. it has issues?" and then think twice about buying.

Robboman said:
I'd hate for him to one day read a thread like this and say "f-it! Enough. I'm through posting on forums, I don't need this abuse".

He has posted responses that were not too far off from this.

So if I understand the last posts correctly, I need to be careful now what to write, in order to prevent mr Fractal to be annoyed by the word "issue"? Jeez ...

The OP-er doesn't understand something and asks for something. He uses "issues" in the titel, is that so wrong? Come on! We all have asked questions one time we could have found in the manual or by interpreting it. Nothing wrong with that, get real.

yek said:

Could not one also accomplish this (flanger and phaser on one IA) using the two-CC-per-IA switch feature (without setting flanger and phaser to the same CC# on the Axe)? And wouldn't this preserve the LED utility?

denniscox said:
<rant>

Just bare in mind that Fractal Audio in forum is Cliff who is most likely NOT in charge of customer support,
he has other things in mind and I am grateful for that.
What he does from time to time is sharing some informations that aren't easy to find from reading the manual.
So if you are looking for support from Fractal Audio as a company you need to write an email to support@fractal blah blah.
Not trying to be his advocate at all but you are barking at the wrong tree imo. :)

I don´t understand what all the fuss is about. :?: :?: :?:
Just a polite reminder by Cliff how to solve the aforementioned "issues", nothing wrong with that.
Not necessary to put a smiley at the end of every phrase, is it?

:shock:
Same here, I don't understand what was so terrible. Since the only issue was that the OP hadn't read the manual, it's appropriate to put quotes around the word "issue" and there's nothing offensive about that. I think you're reading too much into it. Try reading the message again but with a Kermit voice. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom