MFC-101 + Ultra + Kemper

elkabyle

Inspired
Hello,

I'd like to get a Kemper and use it in conjunction with my Axe-fx Ultra and MFC-101.

I plan to connect the Kemper into the fx-loop of the ultra, and use the kemper Amps with the effects from the Ultra.

My question is:
Can I use the MFC presets row switches (buttons 1 to 5) to select different Kemper presets/rigs, and use the MFC IA switches to control the Axe effects?

Yes. Set the switches 1-5 as General Purpose switches on the Kemper MIDI channel, which MUST be different from the Axe-Fx channel.

Thanks for the tip. And how would you connect the kemper to send/receive midi signal? Midi thru of the axe-fx? don't have a kemper yet so I can't try.

Edit:
And if I understand correctly, if I press IA #1 on the MFC, that should activate Axe-FX preset 000 AND the Kemper Rig of my choice. then if I press IA #2 on the MFC, that should activate Axe-FX preset 001 AND another Kemper Rig of my choice. And so on...
That would be the best setup for my use.

Last edited:
That's a little different if you want BOTH the Axe-Fx AND the Kemper to receive DISTINCT preset changes. Each IA Switch can send only ONE PC command when pressed. Son unless you're going to have the PCs mapped to the same Preset number on the Axe-Fx and the Kemper you'll have to be more creative. You could use the Custom MIDI message for one, and the PC for the other, for example, if the Kemper and Axe-Fx are on different Presets.

It's probably a better idea to use MFC-101 Presets to do this. When you select any given Preset on the MFC-101, by default it will send the PC to the Axe-Fx to select the same numbered Preset in the Axe-Fx. In addition, whenever an MFC-101 Preset is selected, the MFC-101 can send a PC command to any (or all) of the MIDI channels with any arbitrary PC command. For example, I have my MFC-101 Presets send the PC command on Channel 1 (the default for the Axe-Fx) to select say, Preset #9 on the Axe-Fx, and I have that same MFC-101 Preset send a PC command on MIDI Channel 3 to the Digitech Vocalist Live to select Preset #32 on it to select the correct vocal effects and harmonies for that same tune. You can send up to 16 MIDI commands on each of the MIDI channels when an MFC-101 Preset is selected.

There are a few ways to do all of this, but I would use the "Presets" method described above.

I guess I need to read the manual to understand better. So far I was relying on using the MFC in axe-fx mode, which makes everything automatic and transparent.

You will be able to do what you are hoping to do. I have been thinking about trying something similar. You simply have to set the MFC correctly so it does what you want it to do. You just want the MFC to switch the Kemper as well as the Axe and that's TOTALLY doable.
Yes, of course, reading the manual will be a help. So is what Brian just outlined. Take some time to check into it a bit. As he mentioned, there are a few ways to do this, yet some will be "easier" than others (programming wise).
The MFC is powerful AND has options. If you don't have it yet, you can still download the manual from the Fractal site.

Thx GtarLover.
I do have the manual, I've been using the mfc with my ultra with no issues for a couple of years now, but it's quite trivial when having it set to work with the Axe-fx only in axe-fx mode. No brainer really.
I never tried using the mfc to control another device, hence my questions.

I guess I need to read the manual to understand better. So far I was relying on using the MFC in axe-fx mode, which makes everything automatic and transparent.

You can STILL leave the MFC-101 in Axe-Fx mode and do what you want to do. Use the MFC-101 Presets and use the Program Change transmission:

PRESETS with Program Changee hilighted.jpg

Is it possible to use MFC-Edit with the Ultra (since I can't connect the mfc and use axe-Edit at the same time on the Ultra). If I can't can I program easily Program changes directly on the MFC?

You can program the MFC-101 directly using the switches. It has a built-in editor but its not as easy as using MFC-Edit. MFC-Edit can be used only with the MFC-101 dump files, but it can transmit/receive sysex dumps to/from the MFC-101 while Axe-Edit is loaded and the Axe-Fx is connected to the computer.

L
Thx GtarLover.
I do have the manual, I've been using the mfc with my ultra with no issues for a couple of years now, but it's quite trivial when having it set to work with the Axe-fx only in axe-fx mode. No brainer really.
I never tried using the mfc to control another device, hence my questions.

I got it...
Honestly, I haven't tried what you are suggesting, yet I want to. That is my interest, not suggesting you are doing something wrong or having user error.
Anyway, when you get it figured, please let us know what worked. I would like to program my MFC to change Kemper presets as well. That's what you want, correct?
The thing I was considering, to avoid a lot of programming, was to make the Kemper preset number correspond to the Axe preset number. Basically change them to be the same. So, when #25 is called upmon the MFC, that makes both the Axe and the Kemper switch to #25, which is what I want from both. Does at make any sense at all???
For me it's quite easy to switch Axe #'s, so I would probably try that first, just because I don't know what I'm doing with the Kemper much, LOL.

Really would like to hear what you find

Hi GtarLover,

I'm not planning to get the kemper before October, need to save up before I can afford it. I was curious to know if/how people were using axe + mfx + kemper.
I don't have a lot of experience with midi, hence my original post.

You can program the MFC-101 directly using the switches. It has a built-in editor but its not as easy as using MFC-Edit. MFC-Edit can be used only with the MFC-101 dump files, but it can transmit/receive sysex dumps to/from the MFC-101 while Axe-Edit is loaded and the Axe-Fx is connected to the computer.

What's the best way to use mfc-edit with the Ultra? At the moment I can't connect the mfc + the ultra to my mac, since there is no usb to midi on the ultra. I need to use a usb to midi adapter, which means the mfc is not connected to the midi chain.
Do I need to put aside the ultra, connect my usb to midi adapter to midi in/out of the mfc, and then use mfc-edit to dump the sys?

If I can't use mfc-edit, where is the menu in the mfc to change program transmission (as in your post #8)?

What's the best way to use mfc-edit with the Ultra? At the moment I can't connect the mfc + the ultra to my mac, since there is no usb to midi on the ultra.

With a 2x2 MIDI interface you could connect Axe & MFC to interface, then use an AE version w/ controller merging ability e.g. 1.0.318, or optionally a separate utility to pass the data.

You may find that editing one channel's PCs is pretty easy on the MFC itself. See manual section 12.1.2 for details.

With a 2x2 MIDI interface you could connect Axe & MFC to interface, then use an AE version w/ controller merging ability e.g. 1.0.318, or optionally a separate utility to pass the data.

You may find that editing one channel's PCs is pretty easy on the MFC itself. See manual section 12.1.2 for details.

I don't have a 2x2 unfortunately, only a basic one which does not allow simultaneous use of axe + mfc in midi. That's ok, I can use the mfc to directly program whatever is needed to do what I plan to do.

I looked at the manual section 12.1.2, it's pretty cryptic to me.
Can some one give me an example of a typical use of program change? so I can understand better what that does. At the moment it's all very blurry. then I will try to do a simple program change and see if it works.

Back
Top Bottom