MFC-101 mk1 and mk2 upgrade question

NiceChris

Experienced
Is it possible to fit the Mk 3 button boards into a mk1 or mk2 to give it similar functionality to the mk3? The function I am interested in is having the IAs/Scene switches on the front row?

Sell your older unit and buy the new one, it will be chesoer, easier and have better resale value.

Cheaper suggestion? Buy an external switch (4 switches) from Bright Onion and assign the Scenes/etc to that and place it in front of the MFC. Less than $100, and UK based. Best part? Doesn't matter if you have Reveal on or not, the Scenes are always ready to go. :)

I am lost...as far as I know that can be done due to the software not the hardware. Only difference between mk 2 and 3 is fas link and silent switches

I am lost...as far as I know that can be done due to the software not the hardware. Only difference between mk 2 and 3 is fas link and silent switches

...and the firmware:

RN 3.06

The MFC-*‐101 Mark III now allows you to move the preset switch range to anywhere on the
board by designating the FirstPresetSwitch. All switches below the first preset switche will be
Instant Access Switches. With this, you can move the 5 default preset switches to row 2 or row 3
and use the lower rows for instant access. Parameters like Bank Size and Bank Style are
unaffected. We unfortunately cannot fit this feature into original/Mk II firmware.

...and the firmware:

RN 3.06

The MFC-*‐101 Mark III now allows you to move the preset switch range to anywhere on the
board by designating the FirstPresetSwitch. All switches below the first preset switche will be
Instant Access Switches. With this, you can move the 5 default preset switches to row 2 or row 3
and use the lower rows for instant access. Parameters like Bank Size and Bank Style are
unaffected. We unfortunately cannot fit this feature into original/Mk II firmware.

gotcha

Sell your older unit and buy the new one, it will be chesoer, easier and have better resale value.

Cheers for the advice, but this is where the Brit in me comes out. We're typically more disposed to trying to engineer our way out of a situation than throw money at it. So I'd rather by the bits to make it work, rather than throw the baby out with the bath water.

Besides, who wants to buy a MFC-101 Mk I these days?

Cheaper suggestion? Buy an external switch (4 switches) from Bright Onion and assign the Scenes/etc to that and place it in front of the MFC. Less than $100, and UK based. Best part? Doesn't matter if you have Reveal on or not, the Scenes are always ready to go. :)

Ooo. I like your thinking. If I can get one with five or six, I'm sold.

The MFC will only support a total of 4 (that's any MFC, Mk1, 2 or 3).

The way I have mine set-up is I have Scenes 1 through 4 on the external switch, then I have 5 through 8 on the first row of the MFC in Reveal. I rarely (literally, on only one song in my bands entire 100+ song set list) use any Scene past 4, so it works really well for me. I also use Song/Set mode almost exclusively, so I always have Reveal on anyway and the 5-8 Scenes and all my "stompboxes" are always available.

To answer your question to luke, I just bought a second MFC Mk1 (I have a back-up Axe set-up, so two XLs and 2 MFCs). Thought about buying a new MkIII, but seeing as how I program the MFC with the external, the switching for me is quiet enough, I use Faslink and Ethercon adapter boxes and the main fact that the MFC is on the floor getting it's arse kicked, a used Mk 1 was perfect for me. Saved $300 and ended up with a great used Mk1 that looks like it was never used. I guess the bad part for you in trying to sell one is the fact you'd have to shell out the extra $300 to upgrade (looks like $450 to $500 is the going rate for a Mk1 in great shape after all my research in buying one) after you sold yours.

someone on this forum already took an MFC a part and swapped the top row of switches with the bottom. I believe it actual inspired fractal to make the software change they did where you can rearrange the rows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someone on this forum already took an MFC a part and swapped the top row of switches with the bottom. I believe it actual inspired fractal to make the software change they did where you can rearrange the rows.

Didn't they just swap ribbon cables?

Didn't they just swap ribbon cables?

I am almost 100% sure you are correct

Here is the thread. Obviously written by a user who likes to squeeze the most out of their tech. What would they say about a user like that? What? Are they going to say he was a kind user? He was a wise user? He had plans? He had wisdom?

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-d...g-best-midi-controller-world-even-better.html

Here is the thread. Obviously written by a user who likes to squeeze the most out of their tech. What would they say about a user like that? What? Are they going to say he was a kind user? He was a wise user? He had plans? He had wisdom?

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-d...g-best-midi-controller-world-even-better.html
LOL man you made this a lot less fun. Here I am thinking I am being super helpful and it turns out you were the master mind that switched the ribbons already! smh so so funny!

LOL man you made this a lot less fun. Here I am thinking I am being super helpful and it turns out you were the master mind that switched the ribbons already! smh so so funny!

Not a problem, mate. This isn't the first time I've had this.

I posted a request for to have scenes on the front row ages and ages ago. I got "The why don't you just swap the ribbon cables around?". I did nearly shout out "I invented swapping the ribbon cables around"* lol

I basically want the MFC-101 mk1 and 2 to work in a sensible way. I do not like to move the ribbon cables about as it puts the edit on the front row.

It all makes for interesting comments at the guitar show when people are trying the kit and doing patch changes instead of moving to a lead boost.

I hope I don't get grief off the Kemper users at this year's show, which is two weeks tomorrow.

*For the MFC-101

Back
Top Bottom