MFC-101... is it worth the money?

I just picked one up used after using a LF JR and a LF+ JR+ previously. I'm digging having more buttons on the layout to do a mix of scenes and have more IAs. Plus I set up a few volume increment/decrement IAs and that's working very well. Much more plug and play than the LF JR and it will always be more in sync with the AxeFX when the FWs rev.

One note...and maybe it's just because I have big feet...but I struggled in rehearsal with it the first time I used it wrt my accuracy to press the button I wanted. When attempting to click on the middle row, I consistently hit the bottom row. We'll see if I can learn the new feel through repetition. For whatever reason, I never really had that problem with the Liquid Foots.

I used to have the same issue with my MFC-101 Mark I. Try putting a block of wood like a 2x4 under it, so it has a steeper angle. I don't have the issue with my LF+ but I have to get used to the footswitches that don't click bc my MFC-101 Mark I footswitches clicked when stepped on. I sometimes cause my LF+ to start scrolling or double press the buttons bc I was so used to feeling the footswitches engaging.

+1 on the mfc-101 for AxeFX. The simple integration and number of foot switches makes it worth the money for me. Have to agree with a previous poster about the switch spacing though, i don't have monster feet and I'm also finding it tricky to hit switches cleanly (without hitting others at the same time). I also have a fcb1010 with uno chip which does a good job for a fraction of the cost, or, if you don't mind programming and can get by with less switches, there are other cheaper options as mentioned here. But if you want it all, high quality, plug-n-play...

Last edited:
I am struggling with this right now. The logical choice is an MFC, but I am also thinking about the Liquid Foot Jr or the new X coming out. I would even get a Mastermind GT if I find one used. I like the fact that you can label each preset.

I am struggling with this right now. The logical choice is an MFC, but I am also thinking about the Liquid Foot Jr or the new X coming out. I would even get a Mastermind GT if I find one used. I like the fact that you can label each preset.

I would not want to use a foot controller without individual screens again. It allows for so much more flexibility. But they inevitably requires more work as you will need to program them how you want them to work.

- if you want something simple with great integration and little programming, get the MFC
- if you want flexibility and don't mind a bit of programming, get one of the MMGT or FAMC controllers.

I found with the MFC that it took me quite a while to find something that would work for me and I actually ended up setting up all 8 scenes. Have a look in the MFC picture thread where you can see loads of pictures of people's MFCs and remember, they are all committed to that layout for everything they play. You want a ring modulator once in one song and turn it on with an IA? That IA is now useless for every other preset that doesn't use a ring modulator. But if all you ever use is a couple of drive pedals, a delay and once in a blue moon a bit of flanger who cares, you'll have plenty of IAs. I think the MFC would have worked really well for me if I could label two IAs modulation 1 and 2 and switch different modulations for each preset (say a chorus and flanger on preset 1 and rotary and vibe on preset 2).

To decide between the FAMC or MMGT, download the Mac/PC editor for each and start building the foot controller how you imagine you want a foot controller to work. I did and became clear that the MMGT/16 was the best choice for me.

And the funny thing is, I remember looking at the price of the Mastermind, the FAMC and even the MFC to a lesser extent and saying I would never pay that much for a foot controller and now look at what I am discussing........

Back
Top Bottom