MFC-101 firmware upgrade and settings preservation

Mouzart

My MFC-101 has firmware 0.17 and it's time for me to upgrade to the 2.15 version. Is there ANY way I can keep or back up/load my current settings? I have spent a lot of time over the years setting this unit up and I really would like to keep that work and have the new/improved functionality of the new firmware. Any insight/tips would be highly appreciated!

wow, big jump.

unfortunately i think you have to reset it and start over when going from 0.xx to any 1.xx or 2.xx. might just have to spend an afternoon reprogramming.

you of course can SysEx dump to a computer for backing up, but i think if you reload that .17 into 2.15, it won't work well.

maybe wait to see if anyone else has some tips, but i think it's your best bet.

IIRC - there is/was a utility that allowed for converting a 0.17 (or 0.19) bulk dump to the newer format in 1.*. Will have to look for it at home tonight. Haven't used it in a LONG time..

FWIW- I have not tried a 0.17 to v2 upgrade. Most firmware versions are available via the link in my forum sig, but to be honest, the differences are so-o-o great that you may as well install 2.15, do a factory reset and start over - unless you have an major customization going on.

Thanks for the fast replies! Yeah, it is a big jump! Somehow I never took the time to upgrade and this is the price I have to pay...

I found the conversion tool and it looks like a three-stage upgrade is the way to go. First I need to upgrade to version 1.04 and using the supplied conversion tool I can use my version 0.17 backup to upload my 'old' settings. The second upgrade will install 2.01 and I need to manually 'fix' a couple of things as explained in the 2.01 release notes. After this I can upgrade to 2.15 and I'm back in the present time.

Thanks to s0c9 I now have the 0.17 FW software so, if everything fails, I can safely go back and restore to the point I'm right now.

Am I missing something here?

Looks like you've got à good grasp on the process and have all your bases covered. You're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom