MFC-101 connected to Axe-FX II does nothing.

dbarrow

I just received my new Axe-FX II. I ALREADY HAD AN mfc-101. I updated the MFC firmware to 1.04 and the Axe-FX II firmware to 3.00. I set the MFC to "Expansion", but it does nothing to control the Axe-FX (change patches, etc.). Please help or advise. Thanks.

I just received my new Axe-FX II. I ALREADY HAD AN mfc-101. I updated the MFC firmware to 1.04 and the Axe-FX II firmware to 3.00. I set the MFC to "Expansion", but it does nothing to control the Axe-FX (change patches, etc.). Please help or advise. Thanks.

on MFC... did you set it to the II? you have to set it to expansion AND the axe II

edit > setup

Yes, I did all that. Nothing.

There is no communication between the MFC and the Axe-FX. I have a CAT5 cable connected to the expansion RJ45 jack(s). Does something need to be set on the Axe-FX II for that to work? It seems like it should be real simple, but I can't find a way to get it to work.

Last edited:
What kind of msgs are you getting on the MFC display?
Is midi channel set to 1 ?

I don't have it in front of me right now, but I would get "Waiting for Tuner" and something about "name timeout", so I assume there isn't any communication between the devices. MIDI Ch. is set to "1", plus the previous suggestions, which I had done anyway.

Until i set the the MFC software to "AXE FX Mode" instead of "Midi" the first time I hooked up with AXE II, I too got nothing...sounds like that is not the issue though, posting that tip in case others have that issue/see the thread...

Until i set the the MFC software to "AXE FX Mode" instead of "Midi" the first time I hooked up with AXE II, I too got nothing...sounds like that is not the issue though, posting that tip in case others have that issue/see the thread...
How do you set the MFC software to "AXE FX Mode"? Nevermind, I see how you set it to "Axe-FX II". That makes no difference. There is no communication over the CAT5 cable to the Axe-FX II.

Apparently, either the MFC or the Axe-FX II is defective. I have spent two days trying to get them to work together. The MFC powers up via the CAT5 cable, but does nothing else, except receive the tuner display AFTER I press the tuner botton on the Axe-FX II. I get the messages: "Waiting for Tuner" and "Name Timeout!!!" No program changes, no nothing.

Yes, and it makes no difference what I set it to: no program changes, nothing. The MFC says: "Axe-FX Name Timeout!!!" The tuner works only after pressing the tuner button on the Axe-FX II. Pushing the tuner button on the MFC only causes it to read: "waiting for tuner". Apparently there is no communication from the MFC to the host unit. Axe+FX Mode is set to "II", Port is set to "Expansion". Unless there is some super complex, obscure setting that has yet to be mentioned, one (or both) of the units are defective. I have swapped out CAT5 cables. the CAT5 jack on the MFC seems wobbly, as if it wasn't installed on the circuit board correctly. I have never used that jack until I received the Axe-FX II the other day. Perhaps it has been broken from the beginning? It does receive the power from the host unit.

Did you try restoring defaults in the Axe II? From the MFC quickstart guide:

"The MFC-101 is 'plug-and-play' with Axe-Fx default settings. To restore these defaults, press the UTILITY button on your Axe-Fx, go to the RESET page, and press ENTER to 'Reset System Parameters'. (This will NOT affect presets!)"

I have only done that about a hundred times. The ONLY way anything seems to work is with two MIDI cables and the Wallwart plugged in to the MFC, which is incredibly lame, in my opinion. Obviously, one or both units are defective. Clearly, many other people have had similar problems from reading the forum over the last few days. Amazingly, the majority of audio gear I have purchased in the last few years has had some kind of problem on arrival. I had to send 5 out of 6 RME products back for replacement, 3 out of 4 ART TubeOpto-8 units, etc., not to mention over half of the Behringer products I have ever bought were dead on arrival, right out of the box. The list is long. I guess with the world economy collapsing, quality control just isn't what it used to be.

I am waiting for a response from Fractal. I couldn't find a phone number, so I had to eamil them. Does anyone have a phone number for customer support?

I had a similar issue and it ended up being my cat5 cable. I'd check that if you are getting power but it is not responding.

I had a similar issue and it ended up being my cat5 cable. I'd check that if you are getting power but it is not responding.
As I said previously (either in this thread or another) I went through at least ten cables. I have sent the MFC back to Fractal. I hope it is that and not the new Axe-FX II. I have had bad luck with equipment showing up bad lately and I sincerely hope nothing is wrong with the unit I just received.

I had the same problem!

I had the same problem!

It turned out that the MFC was set to MIDI and not EXPANSION by defult!

Go to EDIT > MIDI and set to EXPANSION

Also make sure the right Axe-fx model is selected in EDIT > SETUP

Hope it helps!

I had the same problem!

It turned out that the MFC was set to MIDI and not EXPANSION by defult!

Go to EDIT > MIDI and set to EXPANSION

Also make sure the right Axe-fx model is selected in EDIT > SETUP

Hope it helps!

That has already been covered in the first posts in this thread.

Good news. Finally found a midi cable that works.
Yes, mine works fine with the MIDI cable. It doesn't work with any CAT5 cable, other than just powering up. I have sent my MFC-101 to Fractal and back, but still no luck. It looks like perhaps my Axe-FX II is defective or there is some obscure setting that I couldn't find in weeks of trying every possibility I could find.

Back
Top Bottom