Metallica Playing Corp. Gig - Is that a rack of Axe-Fx's...

Am I the only one that does not like how they sound?

I'm not a huge fan of their live sound these days either to be honest, though I don't think that's any fault of the Axe-Fx. Their Axe-Fx rigs do seem to perfectly ape the sounds of the rigs they used before they switched over, but I think it's just that their sound before they switched over just isn't what it used to be.

I guess I'm a bigger fan of the early 90's Live Sh!t tones and even the late 90's Cunning Stunts sound. Those tones were gigantic. Live recordings of Metallica these days makes the band seem like they're trying deliberately to make their tones mid-humpy and very direct-recorded sounding.

Really though, I'd bet their tones are massive and sound great to the people actually at the venue. I'd imagine the tone we're hearing in newer videos is meant to be heard at live volumes, whereas all the live albums were mixed to be listened to though a stereo at home volumes. I'm sure the Fletcher Munson curve has a lot to do with their current live tones.

Last edited:
lol....I realized after my post!

500K is probably low to get Metallica for a private event.

You might be surprised that it could be even less.

Foo fighters did a crowd funded concert for 70k. I know they might not be as big as Metallica, but they still sell out their shows.
Point is, money is getting harder to come by in the entertainment industry and even the biggest acts are doing things they never thought they'd do to keep the income rolling.

I don't know the cymbals, but the E-Drumset Lars is playing is from the swedish company "2box". It's called "Drumit Five" ....my drummer is using the same drumset. IMHO it's the best E-Drum-Set on the market you can get for about 2.500 Bucks.

EDIT: Those cymbals are real Zildjan, which he mounted onto the original 2box-cymbals.....what a dumb fu**.....

Last edited:
They might "ask for" $1m but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you waved $100k in front of their face they would open up dialog.

Hahaha. It's Metallica dude, not Eddie Money.

You "waving 100k in front of their face" after they asked for a million would be like you asking me for 15 grand and me then asking you if my good pal George Washington would change your mind instead.

salesforce.com, or the Benihoffs, a) are billionaires b) so big they got their name in the ucsf childrens hospital merger, now its called ucsf benhifoff Childrens hospital; the are building the tallest building west of the empire state building or so, in SF; and they just sold land formerly useless in sf, to the Golden STate Warriors pro basketball team to build a NEW stadium in downtown sf. They could have metallica play for them nightly.

That rack of axe fx's looked exactly like Meshuggahs. They have the same big rack, 4 axe fx's one is a spare. And the in ear units on top

Well, they charged $4 million for a minor festival in the UK.

First of all, traveling to the UK with 50 employees and gear is an expensive proposition.

Secondly, a festival is a for profit venture, where the band would expect to enjoy in the proceeds as well.

I grew up on Metallica... And Justice for All was the first taste of Metallica that I ever had and I was hooked! As much as I loved Metallica in the past, they are definitely nowhere near the same band as before. Which obviously is good for most folks since they are the biggest metal/rock band ever! Through it all, I've always loved Hetfield's humor... right before their stage part James says "What's really cool is that you can program any drum sound... you can get a GOOD drum sound." That guy is just hilarious!

Back
Top Bottom