metallica LIVE on Howard stern NOW!!!!!

Master of Puppets sounding amazing......are they still using their FAS gear?...I dont see them in the Artist section.....or did they use it just for that Antartica gig?

Last edited:
Heard the whole show this morning - Fred ( who is no slouch of a player) got up and looked at the amps and said they were Ampeg. Unsure as if it was the cabinets he was looking at, or heads -he wasn't specific. The guitars sounded really good. Not sure why they would bring in all that gear to the studio for 3 songs if they could just use an Axe... unless they were using an axe thru Ampeg cabs?? I don't know - sounded good whatever they were using though...

Heard the whole show this morning - Fred ( who is no slouch of a player) got up and looked at the amps and said they were Ampeg. Unsure as if it was the cabinets he was looking at, or heads -he wasn't specific. The guitars sounded really good. Not sure why they would bring in all that gear to the studio for 3 songs if they could just use an Axe... unless they were using an axe thru Ampeg cabs?? I don't know - sounded good whatever they were using though...
thanks for that. I didn't hear Fred mention that, but I sorta stopped listening after the tallica set. hoping for a video
Post at some point, and they really did sound good for so early in the AM, and I'm not really a fan.....(Of the band)

thanks for that. I didn't hear Fred mention that, but I sorta stopped listening after the tallica set. hoping for a video
Post at some point, and they really did sound good for so early in the AM, and I'm not really a fan.....(Of the band)

Yeah - unless you heard the first 5 minutes of the show you wouldn't have heard that. Howard was saying how much gear they had in the studio and how all the cabinets had a big "M" on them. Then was asking if they had their own amps - that's when Fred starting poking around... They sounded pretty awesome !

Just doing some quick google research - appears Robert uses Ampeg - so I'm guessing those might have been bass amps/cabinets. I don't think Fred is too savvy about the modeling world based on other conversations I've heard with him about guitar equipment.. ha ha ha ... waiting to see some pics of them in the studio..

Yes, that show (and all shows) are 100% Axe-Fx, including bass. They may also have brought some cabs as the presets have cab and cab-less outs.

Cool ! good to know ! Guitars did sound great ! Have any info on the amp model they were using ? the IIC++ ?

30 Axe-FXs doesn't sound that crazy for a band as big as Metallica. If I were to guess, I'd say that James, Kirk, and Robert probably have two units each in a rig (one primary, one backup), so that's six units per rig. They probably have A, B, C rigs all over the world and probably HQ too. They're gearing up for a world tour so...

Anyway, I dig the new song Moth Into Flame.

I just hope I can get tickets when they come to my neck of the woods and they don't all get snatched by scalpers and bots. That'd really bum me out.

Back
Top Bottom