METALLICA Chooses Fractal Audio Axe-Fx IIs for Silent Antarctica Concert

James' heavy rhythm patch is based on his most recently used "traditional" rig. Blend of Mesa/Boogie and Diezel amp models. IR Capture and Tone Matching were both used. And finally a James and Chad (James' guitar tech) tweaking session to nail down the final sound.

One patch that was particularly fun is Robert's "fuzz" bass sound as used on For Whom The Bell Tolls. You can hear it here:
Metallica in antarctica - part2 (For Whom the Bell Tolls) - YouTube

James' heavy rhythm patch is based on his most recently used "traditional" rig. Blend of Mesa/Boogie and Diezel amp models. IR Capture and Tone Matching were both used. And finally a James and Chad (James' guitar tech) tweaking session to nail down the final sound.

One patch that was particularly fun is Robert's "fuzz" bass sound as used on For Whom The Bell Tolls. You can hear it here:
Metallica in antarctica - part2 (For Whom the Bell Tolls) - YouTube

Looks like Success to me. Looks like they were generating their own power, as I saw some solar panels in the video. I like everything about this attempt. The guitars and Bass sounded great from the Youtube video, and you know how youtube can squish audio.

FAS should feel proud.

We take this stuff for granted sometimes, but you have to realize that all that tone is coming from a two rack space. Crazy if you ask me. Whats this crazy space futuristic tone stuff.... It's a Fractal AXE-FX sir...

Sounded pretty good. But I gotta agree. Kirk was bad. I've never been a fan of him, but that was bad. James played just as well as he always does regardless of him being the chugga wugga guy.

OK, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and risk being banned/slated/etc but from the YouTube videos that I've watched, their tone didn't seem that inspiring to me, which is a shame because I know that my axe sounds amazing and I bet it did during the tweaking sessions or even the headphone mix that the audience heard. Perhaps I should wait for the DVD before making up my mind.

James tone is better whit those clips ,where he use AXE FX II. Compare to his live tone in these days ,whit diezels and triaxis. Im not big fan his new tones ,in these days whit those modern amps what he use. 1986-1993 his tone ,was amazing whit old boogies. And still in these days his old boogie IIc+ tone ,is one of best tones what I have ever hear. But very nice to hear ,that he was have those clips better tone whit Axe Fx II. Than he have live shows ,in these days. Kirk tone have allways be very low quality ,compare to Hetfield tone.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite tone was with Creeping Death, one tones could have been a bit heavier like the original, but this days i guess they go more for that live sound that i don't like that much, the Seattle live sounds where sick and i really still hope they go back to that.

OK, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and risk being banned/slated/etc but from the YouTube videos that I've watched, their tone didn't seem that inspiring to me, which is a shame because I know that my axe sounds amazing and I bet it did during the tweaking sessions or even the headphone mix that the audience heard. Perhaps I should wait for the DVD before making up my mind.

Ban him! Quick! Haha.. I kid.. I thought the guitars sound pretty good, but very 'direct', because thats what it is of after all. The whole mix sounds nice but not 'huge'. There's something about most good live concert recordings, even though everything is close miked you still somehow hear the 'room', which includes traces of that hugeness effect you get when a large PA is in the room.

Well in that case it might sound kind of cool. But this Antarctica headphones thing I think is a unique event.

Also, I would choose Black album tone over any other Metallica tone for a headphones only concert :).

Exactly!
I hate justice sound, the worst distortion ever made! the whole thing is a pile of "no life" kinda…all squashed to death, not to mention the lack of ANY bass…..
The black album however was a huge compensation and for my taste and ears it’s the best sound they ever had (both clean and dirty)!

Now, someone has mentioned presets ? Couse I REALLY need that sitar (and also crystal clean, and the heavy black album rhythm sound can come in a bundle if possible…) :D

Hey

Yeah I would like to see ,that hetfield guitar engineer will say to Hetfield. Hey Hetfield can we throw away ,those Diezels and Triaxis amps what you have. And lets replace your tone whit ,Axe FX II. And lets do few tone matching ,your old live tones. And if you Hetfield would give me little time ,I will tone matching your year 1989 Seattle live guitar tone!

My favourite tone was with Creeping Death, one tones could have been a bit heavier like the original, but this days i guess they go more for that live sound that i don't like that much, the Seattle live sounds where sick and i really still hope they go back to that.

Last edited:
Ban him! Quick! Haha.. I kid.. I thought the guitars sound pretty good, but very 'direct', because thats what it is of after all. The whole mix sounds nice but not 'huge'. There's something about most good live concert recordings, even though everything is close miked you still somehow hear the 'room', which includes traces of that hugeness effect you get when a large PA is in the room.

I agree completely. I thought the guitars sounded very accurate as far as emulating Metallica's current live tone goes... but without any of the reverb or stereo spread or ambient crowd mics or whatever other secret sauce they use in post processing to make everything sound huge like it did in Live Sh!t or Cunning Stunts. "Very direct" like you said is a great way of putting it.

It was pretty much a monitor mix, I detected zero reverb/ambience on anything. Although they still found someone to press the delay button on Sad But True on Hetfield's "HEY!...hey...."!

Actually the mix is quite poor from a guitar standpoint and generally uninspiring to me, personally... No idea if the guitar tones are great because they are buried, etc, and the tunes overall just do not sound that good compared to a traditional setting or recording across the board. IMHO.

I know this show was atypical, though, so maybe there were other mitigating factors, the fact that they could do a show in those conditions, using the monitoring, under time constraints, etc, is neat, and the audience was clearly loving the experience, so kudos to all involved still. It looks like it was a success.

cool vibe with the videos. technically antarctica, but as far north as possible. still a really iconic gig that.

To be blunt, tone sounds like what I used to get when I was a teenager and used to jam Metallica songs using my Line6 POD with their Mesa model. Can't say if it matches their current live tone as I haven't seen them in ages, but really didn't come close to the live or album tones I remember growing up with.

All and all a bit confusing to me honestly, because I know the AE2 is capable of very good Metallica tones from all the albums, by doing nothing more than downloading some of the Silent Underground presents. That gets you pretty darn close, and with some tweaking I think they could of really dialed it in.

To me anyways, what is really cool about the Axe is that you can get all your album tones live and at the press of a button and have it sound fantastic.

Cool performance idea overall, but just think it could of sounded a bit better, given they had access to such an amazing processor

Back
Top Bottom