Metallica backstage pics and story!

Hey Fella's,
I was throwing a lot of info at Jon but he's got a pretty good memory! To clarify, I have the proximity dialed in on the heavy sounds and none on the clean sounds. The TC unit is still in the rig during the early stages of the rig transition. It is not being used but I felt I might utilize it if I was asked to dial in a new sound quickly or recall something that has not been programmed into the Axe-Fx yet.
The time alignment is done by looking VERY CLOSELY at the waveforms in Pro Tools. Your time alignment numbers will be very very small; less than a millisecond. There is no "problem" with the way two amps work together, we just had the ability to look at it and make it exact. The point here is that it was very easy to get it exactly the way we wanted it with the software. We were elated when Matt busted that parameter out.
Glad you guys are liking the sounds.
Thanks for the write up Jon, and nice to meet you and Jet.
Z

pleased.gif

oboy.gif

So did James' tech say anything about how the IIC+ and the Diezel are blended? Does he blend the highs of one and the lows of the other? Does he just mix the two equally? Does he hard pan them?

Hey Fella's,
I was throwing a lot of info at Jon but he's got a pretty good memory! To clarify, I have the proximity dialed in on the heavy sounds and none on the clean sounds. The TC unit is still in the rig during the early stages of the rig transition. It is not being used but I felt I might utilize it if I was asked to dial in a new sound quickly or recall something that has not been programmed into the Axe-Fx yet.
The time alignment is done by looking VERY CLOSELY at the waveforms in Pro Tools. Your time alignment numbers will be very very small; less than a millisecond. There is no "problem" with the way two amps work together, we just had the ability to look at it and make it exact. The point here is that it was very easy to get it exactly the way we wanted it with the software. We were elated when Matt busted that parameter out.
Glad you guys are liking the sounds.
Thanks for the write up Jon, and nice to meet you and Jet.
Z

Having feedback on how things are being done from someone in your position is priceless. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy life commitment to indulge us.

So did James' tech say anything about how the IIC+ and the Diezel are blended? Does he blend the highs of one and the lows of the other? Does he just mix the two equally? Does he hard pan them?

We do hard pan them to send the audio dept both "Amps" separately as this is what they have always had. They blend them for their own specific needs, ie the monitors may need a different blend than that of front of house or recording.

I know that the desks are "Almost Flat" now :D

He did play both sounds seperately for me.
The MKIIC+ has more of a tight midrange sound and the Diezel had more of a compressed saturated/fuzzy sound but they both sounded pretty good on their own.
He sends both amps to the soundguys on seperate channels so they can blend them to taste.
I hope I remember this well.....
I think for the stage cabs each cab has one amp but if I recall correctly Justin's tech runs both the amp models through one cab for each cab if that makes sense.

Last edited:
That is correct. We both send amp sounds individually. Justin blends Kirks amps to the live cabs. I choose to keep them separate in the live cabs to simulate the analogue rigs. I feel like each amp channel and each cabinet reproduce the individual amp tone better on their own. I could easily blend the two if we played a club and only had room for one cabinet each. Yeah, it's happened!
Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy heads of lettuce batman! Thanks for sharing your story Guitarjon...super stoked for you. Being a huge Metallica fan, I could only imagine how great of an experience this must of been for you. Thanks again to Chad & Justin for their time and insight and contributing to this forum/thread. Time to go play some "met-patches" with my ESP KH-3. Happy trails to you all

Back
Top Bottom