Metallica at Glastonbury...

vinnieRice

Inspired
Total awesomeness! The boys were in good form and the TV mix was pretty excellent. Using AxeFX has completely liberated them on stage - the guys backstage have a hell of a lot of preset changes to get right!

The complete thing is available in the BBC iPlayer but I don't know if you can get that outside of the UK. It'll be up on YouTube at some point I'm sure.

Found the full...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOpFwenbV3o

Has Lars always been playing this crappy? :eek:
Or is it just the mix that is bad.
Guitar tones sounds killer though!

Couldn't decide if it was Lars out of time or some weird mix to the TV feed. Nevertheless not bad at all, and I'm not into them. Nice use of guitar tones, and clever control of presets during the set.

Last edited:
Did anyone else think they were a little below par? Kirk in particular?

I actually thought Kirk had one of his better nights. He did actually sound 'in tune' for once which makes a change! The tones were awesome I thought. I listened to the whole show on headphones.

......as for Lars' playing, well as ever it's not great these days. I've said this before on here, he played SO much better when Jason was in the band!!

Hey

Check this live gig few times year was 1989 ,those years Metallica did sound amazing live tones was stunning and live performance also. IMO Metallica best tones and live performances was years between 1986-1993. That time there was Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ ,old Hetfield voice band live performance whit lots of alcohol and Burton or Newsted whit bass amazing times. And Lars drum tones for those old live gigs are stunning ,I don't think you find Lars to bee sloppy for those old Live gigs. Link for that live is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eltF61VRC3I

Found the full...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOpFwenbV3o

Has Lars always been playing this crappy? :eek:
Or is it just the mix that is bad.
Guitar tones sounds killer though!

Hey

Check this live gig few times year was 1989 ,those years Metallica did sound amazing live tones was stunning and live performance also. IMO Metallica best tones and live performances was years between 1986-1993. That time there was Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ ,old Hetfield voice band live performance whit lots of alcohol and Burton or Newsted whit bass amazing times. And Lars drum tones for those old live gigs are stunning ,I don't think you find Lars to bee sloppy for those old Live gigs. Link for that live is below.

Damn, they were good back then!! Reminds me why I used to love this band so much!!

Lars should go back and watch this!!

The British mainstream media have all been raving ecstatic about Metallica's Glastonbury performance.......it's just a shame they never saw them when they really were great!!

I have to agree...the tones in that video from '89 are full and metal as f***. A lot of that can be due to the mix as well. I'm fully aware the FAS is more than capable of those tones (as I play thru both Mesa and the Axe XL), though the most recent Metallica tone seems to have a bit more mid spike to it and not as meaty as back in the day. Again, who knows exactly how the guitars are EQ'd in the mix now.

Hey

I have a theory, and I feel like this applies to every great metal band that has waned over time...you can only stay angry/angsty for so long. So much of what fuels that aggression is the anger, its what gives the music it's energy and passion. You can only stay angry for so long. These guys, for the most part, live comfortable lives, they have wives and kids....it's probably hard to find the same rage that they were playing off of when they were young. Sure there are some exceptions but I think that's why it's hard for bands to keep their mojo when they get older....

as for Lars, he just sucks....lol

James said it perfectly a while back on Howard's show. Individually the members of Metallica aren't prodigys or extreme technical guys, like a Vai, Yngwie, Portnoy, or Sheehan...but when they put it all together and the Metallica machine is built, there's definitely something there. None of us here (including the pro's that lurk and post) can deny that Metallica is a power house, they've managed to stay among the elites and maintained the ability to pack the house. They were/are a huge part of the rock and metal community, still influencing many new artists.

Another columnist stated the problem with rock music, particularly in America, is the fact too many fans and artists are more concerned with the drama they can create and the continuous "us vs them" mentality created. The "A7X sucks, Metallica sucks, AIC sucks, etc..." mud slinging needs to stop, but it never will here in the US. We should be supporting musicians, and rock music, rather than tearing it apart.

Both were interesting to read and hear.

Considering how long they have been playing some of these songs..... could do better. They were one of my favourite bands when I was young, shame really.

I just find it really annoying that Lars is worse than he 'needs to be'!!

He's not the greatest technician so why does he insist on putting in needless bad drum fills that don't appear on the recorded versions of the song?? If he just stuck to what was on the records then Metallica would be 100% better live IMHO.

Watch the Glastonbury footage of the GTR solo in The Unforgiven......what the hell is Lars playing underneath it?? It's terrible!!!

I'm speaking as a massive fan, they are probably my all time favourite band.......but it pains me when I have to wince at some of the playing.....

......sorry, way off FAS type topic here!!

I actually thought Kirk had one of his better nights. He did actually sound 'in tune' for once which makes a change! The tones were awesome I thought. I listened to the whole show on headphones.

......as for Lars' playing, well as ever it's not great these days. I've said this before on here, he played SO much better when Jason was in the band!!
+1 for that. And as much as I still love Metallica, for me Jason in the band IS Metallica.sorry Rob

Back
Top Bottom