Metal chewiness...

Running a recto sound, it's really getting good...

But does anyone have any advanced tips, eq or otherwise, that get it closer to the real recto?

My other guy is using a Roadking, and although our tones are really complimentary, his cab sound is a little 'chewier' (for lack of a better term...)

So I guess I'm just looking for advanced geek tips, I added the filter before the amp and it tightened it up nicely...

d

just throw a modded 808 in front of it and be done with it. is there any reason you need it to be an exact replica of a recto?

Have you tinkered with the damping and master settings? If you believe it is the cabs then experiment with other cabs/mics. Some Axe-FX users swear by the speaker IRs from www.redwirez.com.

Come to think of it, I bought them over a month ago and still haven't tried them myself...

Yup, always use an 808 in front.

Just want any tips from folks who always strive for more, not trying to recreate exactly.

Just got the Redwirez, will try. Thank you!

Mesas tend to be biased cold. Try lowering the Bias parameter in the advanced menu. I'm not quite sure what "chewy" means though so I could be way off.

If I'm understanding what you're looking for, I would suggest bumping up the transformer match and/or B+ cap. Both will add a little beef to the sound. You may find that dropping warmth and thump (most seem to have them at 0 with ver 9.0) will clean up the tone a little, especially when you have trans match up high.

If you're running into an actual guitar cab (not PA or FRFR) I would also recommend working with speaker resonance frequency a bit to find what matches you cab best. Just a couple of Hz one way or the other can make a significant difference, especially with a 4x12.

Great...thanks folks!

you know... the amps 'gooberiness, like you achieve with tungsten-dipped kaffufle buffers...' :)

These suggestions are great. Cheers.

OmegaZero said:
If I'm understanding what you're looking for, I would suggest bumping up the transformer match and/or B+ cap. Both will add a little beef to the sound. You may find that dropping warmth and thump (most seem to have them at 0 with ver 9.0) will clean up the tone a little, especially when you have trans match up high.

If you're running into an actual guitar cab (not PA or FRFR) I would also recommend working with speaker resonance frequency a bit to find what matches you cab best. Just a couple of Hz one way or the other can make a significant difference, especially with a 4x12.

They do? None of the 10 different amps sims I use in my patches have their thump or warmth set to 0 :mrgreen:

Poopynuggeteer said:
Running a recto sound, it's really getting good...

But does anyone have any advanced tips, eq or otherwise, that get it closer to the real recto?

My other guy is using a Roadking, and although our tones are really complimentary, his cab sound is a little 'chewier' (for lack of a better term...)

So I guess I'm just looking for advanced geek tips, I added the filter before the amp and it tightened it up nicely...

d

Hey man, I was playing around tonight with the recto sims and dialed in a pretty "chewy" tone. Then again, you and I may have totally different ideas of what chewy is. haha You may have to tweak the treble, depending on how your guitar reacts. Also, this is through an Art Sla-2 and Mesa cab with v30s. Also, unless otherwise noted, all other parameters are default.

Drive - type - ts808
drive - 0, tone - 5, level - 75%
Amp - type - Recto Orange
drive - 5.16, bass - 3.7, mid - 3.27, treble - 1.65(bright on)
pres - 6.3, depth - 0, damp - 6.22, sag - 6.3, master - 3.23
warmth - 2.80
Graphic Eq
1k +0.9, 2k +0.1, 4k +0.6

Well anyways, let me know if this gets you close at all. :)

Thank you, all great suggestions!

Have a happy holidays!

The Axe FX Ultra is the single best tool for guitar I have ever owned.

Cheers to the creators!

hey dev, one thing you may want to try doing, is building up a patch without the recto amp and try to make it sound like you want the recto to sound. i'm a big fan of the 5150 and the cornford cranked up with a ts808 in front gets you in some hairy territory

Having been a Road king owner myself i know what your talking about, another thing i would try is adjusting the sag

Drive - type - ts808
drive - 0, tone - 5, level - 75%
Amp - type - Recto Orange
drive - 5.16, bass - 3.7, mid - 3.27, treble - 1.65(bright on)
pres - 6.3, depth - 0, damp - 6.22, sag - 6.3, master - 3.23
warmth - 2.80
Graphic Eq
1k +0.9, 2k +0.1, 4k +0.6

Well anyways, let me know if this gets you close at all. :)

Give this a try too:
Type: Recto New
Drive: 5.55
Bass: -1.51
Mid: -0.28
Treb: 0
Presence: 2.52
Depth: 0.59
Damp: 5
Sag: 6.1
Warm: 5.24
Thump 3.58
Lowcut: 100Hz
Hicut: 6988Hz
Brightcap: 1.000
Tonestack: Active
Tonestack Freq: 599 Hz
Tone Location: Post
Presence Freq: 3010
B+ Capacitance: 5.47
Transformer LF: 19.9hz
Transformer HF 20K
Transformer Match: 5.00
Spkr Res Freq: 100Hz
Stabilizer: off
Pres/depth: Passive

EQ to your taste of course...your mileage may vary.

good for pulling killer harmonics too.

Awesome, some things to try...

I've spent 3 full days tweaking, getting really really close...

Splitting the signal to go to cabs dry, and direct with sims...great with both.

I am going to try renting a 4 band api pre to run the direct signal through before the board, could be the finishing blow...

markus said:
ENDITOL said:
Impulses make the biggest difference if you're going direct; the stock ones are pretty good but these are the best i've found: http://catharsis.supremepixels.com/impulses/

Here is a little clippy with the Recto into the Catharsis impulse: http://www.enditol.net/mp3/Hope_Universal_Clip.mp3

'Chewy' could also be tube related but I dunno... :)

Which Catharsis impulse do you tend to use?

Mark

Mostly the Fredman style ones, depending how much brightness i'm looking for.

Back
Top Bottom