Mesa Studio Preamp

simeon

Axe-Master
great sounding preamp. any significant differences to warrant it's own sim in the axe? if not...which sim is the closest and any tweaks we can do to emulate?

mesaboogie_studiopreampb.jpeg

It's suppose to be a IIC preamp IIRC. ( not sure how different the IIC is from IIC+?, Cliff will know) maybe less gain ? They are sweet! used one through a Mesa 50/50 and 2 - 1x12 thiele EV's , It was Great!!

It's similar to the Mark series stuff. It does have it's own thing going on, but honestly the IIC+ gets my vote and we already have it.

Not feeling it. Axe does not need a yet another Mark series model with a bunch of chicken bit switches. Not to say they aren't any good; I'd rather see new ground covered, though.

The studio had plenty of gain. Had one before my quad preamp. Nothing you cant get in the axe with all the mark amps available.

I did own Studio Preamp in past ,i must say its amazing sounding Preamp. Whit Marshall 9005 poweramp i was get amazing tones out of that Preamp ,its close to original IIC also. Did beat Mark III head also 100-0 ,i trade that Preamp to Mark III and that was bad decision.

i had the Quad-Preamp back in the 80's/90's, used it live sounded awesome! Wish I never sold it (as with MANY amps/guitars!)

True Quad-Preamp is also amazing device ,if i remember right it have IIC and III style circuit build in. Have that vintage Mesa Mark series tone quality for sure ,like below that some dudes clip shows.

i had the Quad-Preamp back in the 80's/90's, used it live sounded awesome! Wish I never sold it (as with MANY amps/guitars!)

Been gigging a Studio Pre & 50/50 for umpteen years now. Still love it. Been trying to replace it with the AFX for a few months and I've got the IIC tone dialled soooo close, just not the feel, yet... Soon hopefully!

Last edited:
I have a Quad pre and a Mesa 20/20 power. Haven't broken either out since I got the AxeFX but I really should. I could feed the 20/20 slave output into the AxeFX and make some comparisons. My curiosity is piqued!

Terry.

My single favorite lead tone of all time was a from Mesa Studio Preamp (into a 2:90 power amp): Marco Sfogli - "Andromeda":

(Whole song)

That whole album is amazing. Never knew it was a Mesa Studio. I figured it was a IIC+ because of the John Petrucci influence, vibe and the way the amp sounded.

That whole album is amazing. Never knew it was a Mesa Studio. I figured it was a IIC+ because of the John Petrucci influence, vibe and the way the amp sounded.

Only the song "Andromeda" is the Studio Pre, the rest of the lead tones on his "There's Hope" album are various software plugins (Guitar Rig, etc....).

I can't remember for sure now, but I think the rhythm tracks are all Studio Pre on that album as well (at least some of the rhythm tracks anyway), like the opening riff of the song "There's Hope", for example:

He did something similar with his next album "Remarcoble", where the title song is all Studio Pre, but for the rest of the album he used something called an Axe-Fx. :razz

Back
Top Bottom