Mesa Mark IIC, Mark IIC+, Mark VII & the JP2C Mark IIC+

danielworks

Inspired
This is a rabbit hole subject for me but it's unavoidable since I love IIc's so much and eventually I come back to start my tones with this amp on FX3.
I have some 3rd party IR's of Mesas straight, oversized, etc and there are so many options that I feel overwhelmed, most of time I load a factory preset and use just the IR's of them. Said that, I can't resist to ask your opinion guys. I feel a bit upset when Ola says that the differences are "subtle" between these amps.
I used IIc's for some time of my life and I didn't like MKV at all ...
So I want to hear from you guys, your opinion about these amps.

Not sure why it upsets you. The difference is relatively small.

2C has more lows and a slightly slower response, IIC+ has more aggressive highs, VII is a little fizzier. They’re all IIC+s though and all sound how I’d expect a IIC+ to sound.

You could quite easily get them closer with tiny adjustments if it mattered that it had to sound identical for some reason.

Given the cab, mics, mic Pres, guitar and everything BUT the amps are identical, a Marshall could have replaced one of them and probably come close, too.
IIC+ is a great amp. The VII I’m sure is, too. The JP2C is, too. I have a MKV I’m very happy with. No need to chase down the unaffordable gear of yesteryear. Get an amp or modeler you like and make great music. Be happy.

This is a rabbit hole subject for me but it's unavoidable since I love IIc's so much and eventually I come back to start my tones with this amp on FX3.
I have some 3rd party IR's of Mesas straight, oversized, etc and there are so many options that I feel overwhelmed, most of time I load a factory preset and use just the IR's of them. Said that, I can't resist to ask your opinion guys. I feel a bit upset when Ola says that the differences are "subtle" between these amps.

I agree with you on the MKV, I found it to sound and feel a tad choked to me. “Owned a combo early on and head recently” same thing, sold both.
Ola has had a lot of practice dialing in his tones and making them sound good, I’d be willing to bet they feel different to play.
If I were going to buy a mark series amp, it would have to be the right Mark IV or 2C+, otherwise I’d just play the fractal models and be completely happy.
I’m not buying into the hype of the Mark VII, but time will tell if it makes a bigger splash in its own right.

Subjects like these always pop up. There are so many variables to tone. I have never found any preset I liked, whether factory or 3rd party, that I didn't have to tweak to my liking. My complete setup, including guitar, amp and cabs, makes a lot of difference, compared to how the original amp and IR models were created. So for a long time I either modify or create from scratch. As mentioned, tweak until you get it your way, then enjoy your tone.

The differences do sound fairly subtle. The Mark VII sounded very tight, I suspect they did the non-GEQ model coupling cap which cuts bass before the GEQ for a faster response, just like on the Mark V.

The JP2C definitely had a noticeably larger low end, i was surprised Ola didn’t notice. I’m trying to remember if the JP2C has PULL DEEP enabled internally, and i think it does. The MkV didn’t and I’d suspect the VII doesn’t either.

So actually, based on that I’d argue they do all sound like IIC+ Amps, but differing in exact model and settings for the deleted internal controls.

But I think Ola’s main point was just “They all do the IIC+ thing pretty well, don’t worry about the unobtanium ones which might have age related issues just get the one that works for you”.

And if you genuinely like the original unobtanium ones, this is a good message for you because it helps the price not get so wild so you can afford them. But if someone just likes rare things, or looking down their nose at people who can’t afford what they have, or needs to justify spending 10k on an amp, or wants to pump the value of their investment they might not like Ola’s final point.

And Ola is right. All these amps have the same basic circuit with minor differences.

The only unique thing I've encountered in all my tests is the function of the Presence Shift pull on the JP2C. It's different than the pull shift on the other Mark amps.

And Ola is right. All these amps have the same basic circuit with minor differences.

The only unique thing I've encountered in all my tests is the function of the Presence Shift pull on the JP2C. It's different than the pull shift on the other Mark amps.
Apologies if this has been said, I haven't followed all the Mesa threads, but do we have "the Presence Shift pull on the JP2C" in the Axe?

In ola's test I heard no difference between JP2c and 2c+, but the VII sounded a bit off to me. Not anything that I would hear in a mix though. Maybe it was due to the missing pull gain function.

Why are you upset? The differences between those amps in that recording are subtle. Borderline insignificant, even. Ola was spot on to say the differences are basically negligible.

I've heard more significant differences in official, direct reissues of amps vs the original version of that amp than I did between the amps in Ola's video.

I personally couldn't tell the difference when he switched between the 2C+ and the JP2c+. The MarkVII sounded a bit different to my ears, not better or worse, just a bit different. I'm also positive that I couldn't listen to a sample of one of the amps tomorrow and tell you which amp I was listening too. . . . I've still got my Mark IV and have only played through it once since I got my Utra 10 years ago . . . . .

That's the spot I've been in since I bought the AXE III. I went to replace tubes in my Mark V the night before the AXE III showed up, and never got around to putting them back in. It's still sitting there waiting for me put it back together for over 4 years so I can list it.
I'm sure I'll get around to it someday.

Back
Top Bottom