Mesa Mark I

that's a fat tone, paco!

i'm interested to know why you used the jm45 tonestack and not say, the usa rhythm tonestack, or the default...?

The King Snake is the one I would love to get my hands on, not out yet!!!...this is the Boogie to model!!!!

I made a killer King Snake preset the other day using the Texas Star model and adjusting the Input trim(lower) and speaker parameters and using the Ownhammer CL-80 and EVL cabs!

Very cool but I dont think it will sound the same...you go man.

I made a killer King Snake preset the other day using the Texas Star model and adjusting the Input trim(lower) and speaker parameters and using the Ownhammer CL-80 and EVL cabs!

Wow...Galo, that's some nice amp! I would love to have this in the AF2 one day.....:ugeek:eagerness:

cheers
Paco

That is a great looking / sounding amp! Wonderful for Carlos and Mesa to come full circle.

That mid/boost control is interesting. From 0-5 its a "condensed" mid tone control. From 5-10 its another, 3rd, gain stage. Interesting...

OK!
Here is my King Snake!

https://soundcloud.com/jesper-kristoffersson/king-snake-clean

https://soundcloud.com/jesper-kristoffersson/king-snake-dirty

Here is the preset

View attachment M-B King Snake.syx

I use the Texas Star for both Clean and Dirty and i looked at the video and tried to match the tone knobs and master and gain. I then messed with the speaker page and the Dynamics and lowered the input tron for the clean.
The Cabs are the OH_412_MAR-CB_CL-80_Median and the OH_212_BOG-SH_EV-SRO_Median from Cab Pack 3 in one UltraRes Cab each!

Maybe a Little too much bass in my Clean!

Last edited:
Man, does this thread ever bring back memories. It was my dream as a teenager, when Carlos first started using Boogies, to get one. I've tried the Mesa models in the Ultra and the II over the years but I was never captivated by them. That always puzzled me, and now I think I understand why.

I hear a thickness in the mids in the King Snake videos that have a Dumble quality. I see where Paco is coming from. Yet, it's not the same as a Dumble. The later Boogies (Mark IIC+, etc.) don't seem to have that quality.

I sure hope that Cliff models an original Mark I Boogie or a King Snake.

Terry.

Then someone told me that the Axe-Fx was not created to have all amps and channels but so that people could use it as a tool to create whatever tone there is and we have enough Mesas. I don't quite understand why we need over 50 Plexi clones in the Axe-Fx but fine that's the answer I'm going to accept. :D

Actually... I think we might aswell get all the channels from the Mark V since they are not the same as the real IIC+, Mark IV or Mark I. They are different.

We can never have enough Mesa (Mark series especially). :mrgreen

I'd be happy though if we could just get a Mark III in there (Red Stripe preferably). :)

Well , the mark 1 was actually a fender with an extra boost stage before the first "stage"(with a slight modification in the reverb mix-stage) . It also had a master volume after the reverb mix stage .
Most fenders: blackface, brownface, silverface, had the same preamp schematic. I guess you could take a Twin,showman, deluxe or pro and put a tubedrive (with no eq or dist) in front of it to get close to that sound. It might be best (depending on taste) to take the reverbchannel to get that scooped mids and sissling highs. (Or like Cliff said, take a clean boogie and do the same thing with.) But the mark 1 also hade a "marshall"-type of presence( could only boost the highs) unlike the later boogies.

I had a MkIIC combo decked out and a MKI head w/no reverb , Loved the MKI wound up playing it and the IIc stayed home ! I'd like to find that in the Ax also!!!

True , but princetones looked like all other fender models with reverb (in the preamp) . The bassman-transformers were just to get more power (Not a bassman sound) . Higher current (maybe some voltage to ) and also
different load imp for the powertubes (from 6v6 to 6L6).

True but the Mark I is such a nightmare to dial in on Mark V.Still give it a try almost every time I run the V

Roland

Still I think Paco is partially right.Its based on a Princeton with Bassman transformers

True , but princetones looked like all other fender models with reverb (in the preamp) . The bassman-transformers were just to get more power (Not a bassman sound) . Higher current (maybe some voltage to ) and also
different load imp for the powertubes (from 6v6 to 6L6).

So I loaded up a Prince Tone Reverb and dimed the input trim, put the pre drive to about 7 and found some tonal nirvana. Can't remember all the settings - EQ knobs all around 5, +/- 1, fairly low presence. Nothing too wild. I'll be revisiting tonight to hone it a little and then will post a sound clip and the preset. I won't be able to remember the Mark I tone well enough really tell if it's nailing it or not, but it definitely has the same sound and feel I remember getting (and even if it's different, it sure is making me grin!)

Well , the mark 1 was actually a fender with an extra boost stage before the first "stage"(with a slight modification in the reverb mix-stage) . It also had a master volume after the reverb mix stage .
Most fenders: blackface, brownface, silverface, had the same preamp schematic. I guess you could take a Twin,showman, deluxe or pro and put a tubedrive (with no eq or dist) in front of it to get close to that sound. It might be best (depending on taste) to take the reverbchannel to get that scooped mids and sissling highs. (Or like Cliff said, take a clean boogie and do the same thing with.) But the mark 1 also hade a "marshall"-type of presence( could only boost the highs) unlike the later boogies.

Back in the 70's and early 80's people were "Boogie'izing" 2 channel Fenders by cascading channel 1 into channel 2. They had more gain but I never heard one that could touch a real Boogie.

Last edited:
Man, does this thread ever bring back memories. It was my dream as a teenager, when Carlos first started using Boogies, to get one. I've tried the Mesa models in the Ultra and the II over the years but I was never captivated by them. That always puzzled me, and now I think I understand why.

I hear a thickness in the mids in the King Snake videos that have a Dumble quality. I see where Paco is coming from. Yet, it's not the same as a Dumble. The later Boogies (Mark IIC+, etc.) don't seem to have that quality.

I sure hope that Cliff models an original Mark I Boogie or a King Snake.

Terry.

To me, Mark I's, Mark IIA and IIB had a cool fat and raw sound (IIA and IIB less so than the Mark I) - the 'Fender on steroids' thing that Lowell George said about Dumble. The IIC+ may be when Mesa really figured out how to make a smooth, clear, polished and even higher gain amp, but the earlier models had serious mojo of their own.

The main difference between a Dumble and a boogie is related to saturated tube stages. On a boogie design, stage 3 and 4 of the classic four stage design were saturated, the real ODS (non PAB) only saturates the 4th gain stage in the preamp circuit! There is even more, but this is the basic "main" difference between a Boogie and a dumble preamp design. I converted a Boogie circuit into d-style overdrive - it's possible, but you get the character (and if you do it right) a bit of a sense of the feel - but there is more (as I said) which makes it special and not just overdrive ;)

Both designs were based on classic fender style amps, but with a guitar lead tone approach fender never had back in the earlier 70s. Fender at this point was doing some hyper super clean amps....way too clean to be true.

To me, Mark I's, Mark IIA and IIB had a cool fat and raw sound (IIA and IIB less so than the Mark I) - the 'Fender on steroids' thing that Lowell George said about Dumble. The IIC+ may be when Mesa really figured out how to make a smooth, clear, polished and even higher gain amp, but the earlier models had serious mojo of their own.

MkIIA and B had a three gain stage design, the four gain stage design was introduced in later "C" models....

Back
Top Bottom