Mesa Boogie Simul 395 SwitchTrack Power Amp

Webb

Power User
Is anyone using a Mesa Boogie Simul-395 with their Ultra? Got a lead on a used one, but can't find much info. I did a search and the few reviews I've read have been positive, but other than that, not much out there.

I'm currently running my Ultra through the effects loop of a Randall RM100 into a Diezel 212.

Webb said:
Is anyone using a Mesa Boogie Simul-395 with their Ultra? Got a lead on a used one, but can't find much info. I did a search and the few reviews I've read have been positive, but other than that, not much out there.

I'm currently running my Ultra through the effects loop of a Randall RM100 into a Diezel 212.

They are really good amps, just very expensive to tube and weight a ton.

Thanks.

Is there any difference or advantage to using a dedicated tube power amp (in this case, a Mesa Simul-Class 395) over the effects return of my RM100? If I bought the Mesa, I would sell the Randall as I also have an RM20 with a bunch of modules.

Webb said:
Thanks.

Is there any difference or advantage to using a dedicated tube power amp (in this case, a Mesa Simul-Class 395) over the effects return of my RM100? If I bought the Mesa, I would sell the Randall as I also have an RM20 with a bunch of modules.

Using a dedicated tube power amp seems to produce quicker results for those that are using a traditional guitar cab when compared to using a solid state amp. An advantage for sure, down side is your still having to deal with the expense and hassle of tubes, if your ok with that then it's all good.

Differences, if you have EQ'ed your presets in the Axe for the power section of the Randall you are going to have to re-EQ for the Mesa. EL84 tubes invoke a fairly large sonic foot print so you will hear a difference when you play through the Mesa, more than likely the Mesa is going to sound darker by compression. With the EQ power in the Axe you shouldn't have any problems getting the tone you want to hear.

I once played thru my bass player's Strategy 500.
Incredible. Massive, rolling, enveloping soundstage.
I imagine the 395 would sound the same. Wont be
crisp like a VHT, but it will sound so huge, you may
dispense with your band.

As said, they are really heavy. Two handed carry
even for a big weightlifter like me. It will be cool.
It wont be convenient.

I say get it. God help you if you ever have to retube.
8 6L6GC's. They put out 100W's of raging tube power
per side. A 200 watt throne of power for your Axe to
rule the Galaxy from. Just get it. Once you demo the
Axe thru it, you'll have to have it.

Well I ended up buying it...and goddamn I'm glad I did. "Wow" pretty much sums it up. This thing sounds amazing paired with the Ultra with the power amps and cabs turned off. Have one side going through a Diezel 2x12 and the other through a Framus 2x12.

Warm, powerful, and clear, with a nice depth to the tone. Very versatile too. Has a Deep Extend switch which I'm using with my heavier sounds for a massive, low-end chunk with no flab. This thing is loud though...even with the half-drive power voicing. No band situation for me, just basement playing...but I imagine this thing would cut through a band setting with ease.

It's is built like a tank too. Three rack spaces and weighs a ton. Besides that, I guess the only downside is when I need to retube it...4 6L6's per side!

I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on those old
Boogie super power bass amps. The 395, and Strategy
400 and 500's. As an Axe FX platform, they are nothing
less than spectacular. Plus they are super cheap now
on Ebay. I paid $1500 for my VHT. I could have got a
Strategy 400 for around $800. Much better bang for the
buck.

If you ever get in a band, you can periodically drown them
all out for your own amusement.

smilefan said:
buck.

Was the 395 originally made to use as a bass amp??

I think part of the reason people aren't jumping on these amps is because there doesn't seem to be many available on the used market. I don't see them come up on eBay very often (at least the 395). There is also very little info on it in general. However, everything I was able to dig up on the 395 has been exceptionally positive...and rightly so. The 395 is just an incredible power amp option.

smilefan said:
buck.

I would be willing to bet cash money the reason people aren't jumping all over them is, 1- they cost a small fortune to re-tube, at almost $300.00 add that to your $800.00'ish or so for a used 400 and your over the cost of a used VHT 2/50/2-2/90/2 which is probably a better amp. 2- they weigh as much as a small house and take up 3 rack spaces to boot so if your just playing at home and you happen to have one lying around or are able to land a killer deal then i'd say why not other wise I would sat SS.

Well I ended up buying it...and goddamn I'm glad I did. "Wow" pretty much sums it up. This thing sounds amazing paired with the Ultra with the power amps and cabs turned off. Have one side going through a Diezel 2x12 and the other through a Framus 2x12.

Warm, powerful, and clear, with a nice depth to the tone. Very versatile too. Has a Deep Extend switch which I'm using with my heavier sounds for a massive, low-end chunk with no flab. This thing is loud though...even with the half-drive power voicing. No band situation for me, just basement playing...but I imagine this thing would cut through a band setting with ease.

It's is built like a tank too. Three rack spaces and weighs a ton. Besides that, I guess the only downside is when I need to retube it...4 6L6's per side!

I hope you got a great deal... with the clean and fairly uncolored headroom in that amp, if you haven't tried it yet you can run the power amp sims and gain some versatility as well. Experiment with it and see what you come up with ;) .

Sixstring: You seem to be knowledgable about this stuff...what characteristics does the VHT have that you feel make it a better amp? The 2/50/2 is what I originally was set on until I came across the Mesa 395. The tubes currently in it seem fine, but Eurotubes has a full retube kit of JJ's for $192.

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.ph ... gory_id=57

I've been running it with the power amp sims turned off, but took your suggestion and tried it with them on. I still have some tweaking to do, but I think I actually like it better with them on. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
My Mesa Stategy 395 just blew last night. I plugged it into couple other really good tube amps but must say...I need to get it back.

I'm a long time Mesa power amp user, I had a 50/50 and then switched to a new 2:90 and yea, the sound and crashing power is there!
I also go 2 friends with a same setup as yours, running a 395 with an Ultra.

So yes, the sound and volume is there but also the weight and $$$ to re-tube (8 x 6L6) and above all, caring around when rehearsing and gigging was giving me a heart attack each time dew to weight and fearing a tube will break or something.

I ended up selling it and buying a Matrix GT1000FX, I can say it is not 100% identical BUT it is as good in terms of sound and power and its light as feather, its solid and reliable and it has 0$ maintenance and yea, it covers my 2 setups, FRFR and traditional cabs.

If you are playing only @ home than yes, go for it. Also your tubes will last forever, I had my 2:90 running for something like 3 years on the same tubes when it was @ home only (low volume = low maintenance).

If I had the $$$ and I wanted a "nonmoving rig" which stays @ my studio 24/7 than I would have probably keep the 2:90 as well but as mentioned I'm gigging and playing outside my studio so mobility and $$$ is an important factor for me.

I'm a long time Mesa power amp user, I had a 50/50 and then switched to a new 2:90 and yea, the sound and crashing power is there!
I also go 2 friends with a same setup as yours, running a 395 with an Ultra.

So yes, the sound and volume is there but also the weight and $$$ to re-tube (8 x 6L6) and above all, caring around when rehearsing and gigging was giving me a heart attack each time dew to weight and fearing a tube will break or something.

I ended up selling it and buying a Matrix GT1000FX, I can say it is not 100% identical BUT it is as good in terms of sound and power and its light as feather, its solid and reliable and it has 0$ maintenance and yea, it covers my 2 setups, FRFR and traditional cabs.

If you are playing only @ home than yes, go for it. Also your tubes will last forever, I had my 2:90 running for something like 3 years on the same tubes when it was @ home only (low volume = low maintenance).

If I had the $$$ and I wanted a "nonmoving rig" which stays @ my studio 24/7 than I would have probably keep the 2:90 as well but as mentioned I'm gigging and playing outside my studio so mobility and $$$ is an important factor for me.

Roadrunner. Thanks for the advice. I will be taking the 395 to the shop today and I think I will take a look into getting the Matrix GT1000FX. Having another amp around the house won't hurt and when I go play live I can leave the anchor at home:)

I will take a look into getting the Matrix GT1000FX. Having another amp around the house won't hurt

Another great option for home use / low volume gig / very light (half weight of the Matrix) and very cheap is a Carvin DCM200L.

I have this amp at home, I used it with my setup prior to the Matrix, it does the job nice.
It can even hold a small gig where you don’t need to compete with the drummer or the other guitarist running 2 4x12.

Ooh...five-year necro-bump. :)

I once considered a 395. Then I lifted one. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom