Mesa Boogie Mark IV / IIC+ tones

Do you have a link for the peq? I've read it before, but of course now when I need it, I can't seem to find it.

Seriously though, that sounds so close it's ridiculous. I think at this point you really might just be splitting hairs. The (incredibly small) difference could be your guitar, pick, studio room size where the original was recorded, mic pre they used, compression of the recording etc. You gotta remember too that the peq "simulation" really is NOT the actual physical eq on the amp. I mean that really is like "Holy Shitballs" close...

Awesome playing too btw...

I run my 2 90 with the presence on half. I personally like a bright sound. How about other amp sims, are they really dark as opposed to the Mesa? The Rectos sound bright on the Axe Fx 2, but I use have a 94 Dual Recto and a 2008 Roadster and they were bright also as opposed to all my Marshall's. But to my ears the brightness from the Marshals is different than the Rectos. I think the Marshall brightness comes form the front end and the Recto's ( depending which channel you use comes the back end of the preamp or the power amp since I can get more if a "twang" from a Marshall.
You're probably have V30's in your Recto cab which to my ears are quite bright as opposed to all my Scumback speakers or even Greenbacks 25's.
What pickups are you using? I use different guitars with different pickups and the sounds are drastically different so I have different settings for each guitar.

I do have V30s in the recto and I use mainly an Ibanez RG570 w stock dimarzios and a LP w Tone Zones. EVERYTHING just seems pretty bright. However, in my studio I have a Mesa 50/50 and I run into my jcm 800 b w V30s, I can put the presence on about 5 on the Mesa and its not nearly as bright. I know there's a huge difference between the 2 power amps and cabs but I just need to narrow it down. I'm wondering if its mainly the amp or the cab or maybe even the rooms. I'll have to A/B them when I get a chance.

Ok, I did a short recording to see if anyone can hear what I'm talking about. First part is Petruccis isolated guitar track from Fatal Tragedy in mono, then I play the same.

i hear a difference in eq, for sure. petrucci's sound has more bite, less bottom and more upper mids. adjusting the peq might help. i also don't believe that we're just hearing guitar > amp > mic > tape. i'm sure there's some compression going on. have you tried using the multiband after the cab? it might also be worth using a stereo cab, panning both to centre and trying some other cabs to mix in with the one you're currently using. i find the marshall 1960a mixed with a mesa cab sounds good. do whatever you need to do to get it to sound and feel right....don't just stick with what you think should be in the chain...experiment a bit!

did you try using a drive pedal in front? the Eternal Love works well with the USA LEAD models.

I finally managed to get the Mk c+ to sound good. It took some tweaking but it's very close. The gentleman who told me to increase the main amp volume, and also Yek were correct.
Since in most of my presets, I try to keep the main amp block volume at -12 , I didn't realize that I can crank it as loud as I need it to be without overloading the AD/DA so I can match my other presets.
I don't remember the settings off hand, but I increase the definition at around 2.
I remember that I set the bass around 2 to 3 and to make up for the loss of low end I mildly increased the depth and I also use the Multicomp just to compress the bass and increase the bottom.
The main reason I like to use the Multicomp instead of an Eq get more low end is because with the Eq I get low end thump when I'm playing leads. With the Multicomp I get a nice controlled low end by setting a fast attack and medium release and it clamps down on the low end because I hit the strings quite hard when I'm playing leads and not as hard when I playing rhythm.
I'm a mixing engineer and I use Multicomp on certain instruments like the bass, kick and sometimes distorted guitars.

I tried to download the patches posted but they can,t be oppened by axe edit or fractal bot?
The patches appear with a size of 7k?, instead of the usual size of other patches.

Oh, I used MIDI-OX to get the patches from the AXE (using the tutorial from AXE-Edit Section of the Forum).
I just downloaded the patches and tried Fractal-Bot to send them to the AXE.
"an error ocured" but the Patch still arrived at the AXE.
I am slightly puzzled...

What Simeon says. Just use Amp Level (not Master) to increase/decrease the volume to the desired level. it doesn't matter if you have one amp at -18 and the other at +15 dB (although this would raise questions about your preset design).

It's not quite possible to compare amp levels. For example the Vox is modeled as a non-MV amp. Therefore it defaults to MV at max. The Powerball has a MV. The Vox and Powerball, when setting their Drive and MV at identical values, will not have the same level. Just like their real counterparts won't. It's not a problem.

P.S. For the record, I've just been watching Tom Quayle's fw 10 review video. The USA Lead factory preset he plays (11:40) sounds pretty much like a Mark to me.
http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/issue18/page/68

Thanks Yek and Simeon, I didn't realize that I could crack the main amp block volume as high as it need's to be to match the levels. I mix TV music and albums for a living and a rule of thumb when mixing on a DAW is to keep the levels below -10db to leave room for transients and avoid intersample distortion at the AD/DA level. So I was applying this type of thinking with the Axe Fx 2.
I'm now getting a stellar sound with the Mk series amps. I really appreciate your help!

Reactions: yek
Hey Torkolort, Eljodon, would you mind posting your patches/TM's we can try to tweak, play , enjoy? I especially know very little about MB compressor, would like to see your settings.

Hey Torkolort, Eljodon, would you mind posting your patches/TM's we can try to tweak, play , enjoy? I especially know very little about MB compressor, would like to see your settings.

Sure, but I use regular speaker cabinets( Scumback speakers) and WCR pickups that aren't that hot since I prefer a clean pick up.
So keep that in mind, you might have to tweak PEQ at the end I the signal path and the graphic eq in the amp block.

Sure, but I use regular speaker cabinets( Scumback speakers) and WCR pickups that aren't that hot since I prefer a clean pick up.
So keep that in mind, you might have to tweak PEQ at the end I the signal path and the graphic eq in the amp block.
either way its ok, I like the tm I made above, probably could back down slight on gain and add a bit reverb as I hear in original stem.

I hope this helps you. I make my presets kind of weird, so I hope it sound as good as it sounds with my system.

Eljodon,

Thanks for posting your Mark IIC patch, but I'm having some troubles using it. Is this patch from the older version 1 units, like the standard and Ultra? For whatever reason, my AxeFXII doesn't see the patch as valid for this version. I've loaded many different patches and the only ones that I've seen give the circle with the slash through it were ones from the previous platform. Please let me know if I'm missing something or my brain has taken a day off. ;)

Cheers,

Lee

Eljodon,

Thanks for posting your Mark IIC patch, but I'm having some troubles using it. Is this patch from the older version 1 units, like the standard and Ultra? For whatever reason, my AxeFXII doesn't see the patch as valid for this version. I've loaded many different patches and the only ones that I've seen give the circle with the slash through it were ones from the previous platform. Please let me know if I'm missing something or my brain has taken a day off. ;)

Cheers,

Lee
I'm using FW 10.5. It could be my librarian software because I sent an IR before an the size was smaller than usual. I'll try it with my PC instead of my Mac with MIDIox. My apologies!

Back
Top Bottom