Memory man delay

Anyone care to give a quick synopsis on what's special about the memory man and the other new delays vs other older delays in the axe?

Don't have time for detail, but (this is all my opinion so take with a grain of salt) to be honest it has that sound I have been wanting for ages. Normally I used a EQ curve on a vintage delay to turn the highs down to about 3k, but this new one just sounds perfect out of the box. And it has a beautiful way of decaying, not just an EQ curve but a lovely organic decay that gives each repeat a bit of it's own character to it. Very natural sounding and a lot of fun to play with.

It definitely has a really warm analog delay type tone right off the bat. Sounds great. It will probably live on a ton of presets for me. I have a deluxe memory man still for comparison. My only gripe is with myself not knowing how to dial in the mod parameters like my dmm. When I use the real pedal all I have to do is turn up the modulation knob up a bit and bam instant awesomeness. I was able to tweak the mod settings on this delay in the axe and got really cool just slightly different sounds. I just wasn't expert enough to make the modulation sound like my personal dmm yet. I'll try and mess around with it some more. But if you guys have any tips I'm all ears.

Great addition too the stable of toys.. Digging it better then mono tape for clean amp sounds.
I like this addition... !

I'm sitting here with my guitar after playing it for a few moments and it sounds great at stock settings. This is probably my new go to.

I had thought the analog delays were updated to BBD algorithms on an earlier update, but I suspect it may have just been flanger and chorus models that had the BBD added.

I did try the new delay briefly and it sounded very good. I'm looking forward to digging in with it after our Christmas shows are done in a month or so.

I am 99% sure that the "new" Deluxe Mind Guy is just the Digital Mono with specific settings. Don't get me wrong, this shows the power of the AxeFX and how the settings can really change the sound. Don't believe me? Try it but make sure you set the parameters EXACTLY the same. If you miss one of the parameters it's going to sound different (e.g. EQ, drive, and LFO are all critical).

I think this is a good thing though. It's not always easy to find the right settings to mimic different effects so having it as a formal "Effect Type" makes it that much easier for users even if it's not a new model per se.

I am 99% sure that the "new" Deluxe Mind Guy is just the Digital Mono with specific settings.

Digital Mono is just another type like Deluxe Mind Guy and Analog Mono; I think what you mean is the Mono delay config/algorithm. And I agree, it's probably just a settings preset, which is what people have been asking for WRT warm, analog-style delays.

I'm sitting here with my guitar after playing it for a few moments and it sounds great at stock settings. This is probably my new go to.

Cool that you like it, but just fyi, the stock settings don't sound very much like an actual DMM, at least not to me. I got much closer by adjusting the modulation settings. It should be a slower modulation (closer to 1 Hz), the depth should be increased and I think it should be a sine wave. I'm still tweaking, but that sounds much closer to me. A big part of the DMM sound is the modulation on the repeats. The stock settings sounded more like a Boss DM-2.

Cool that you like it, but just fyi, the stock settings don't sound very much like an actual DMM, at least not to me. I got much closer by adjusting the modulation settings. It should be a slower modulation (closer to 1 Hz), the depth should be increased and I think it should be a sine wave. I'm still tweaking, but that sounds much closer to me. A big part of the DMM sound is the modulation on the repeats. The stock settings sounded more like a Boss DM-2.

Probably. I've never used a real memory man and I know nothing about it. I just changed the delay in my clean preset to that one instead of the digital delay I had before and it sounds great. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Back
Top Bottom