Meeting The Master - Greta Van Fleet

compositions, meh. semblance to LZ - right there!
There are a few vocalists that I admire(d) for their abilities/performance and Josh Kiszka is one of them.
The others are Robert Plant, Freddy Mercury, Geoff Tate, Cedric Bixler-Zavala, Andrew Stockdale
personal preference...

The town where GVF is from, Frankenmuth, Michigan, has a couple of excellent fried chicken restaurants. Thats the extent of my GVF knowledge and I kinda feel better for it. 😜

The town where GVF is from, Frankenmuth, Michigan, has a couple of excellent fried chicken restaurants. Thats the extent of my GVF knowledge and I kinda feel better for it. 😜
Mmmmm, Chickenmuth.
As far as the band goes, all rock is derivative. GVF could use some better hooks, though. The mystic theatricality just doesn't seem to fly in the same way it did in the 70s.
But I love that there are still rock bands pumping out music. Good for them.

I think this band came out of the gate very strong. People inevitably started making comparisons to LZ, which is fine, that's what people do. However, the band (and mostly Josh) started eating up those comparisons. If you track their progression you can see him (Josh) start to really embrace the whole 60s vibe. It even affected the song writing and vocals. I just think they tried to become something they're not.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
New and original? Imo not a second of it, but still great.
I really like the music, but his voice is to harsh for my taste.
Still really nice to hear music in this style become popular.

Listen, they are a new generation of rockers that bring back some of the old magic. Kids today may not get into Led Zep and I am happy that kids have this to listen to and bond with than some bullshit rapper who sounds retarded over a beat. I took my wife and 2 kids to their show a few weeks ago in Tampa. Kids are 10 and 14 and this was their first big real rock show. It did not disappoint and the show was amazing. Are they as good as LZ? No. Did they kick ass and sound great? YES!

Attachments

• IMG_2124.jpeg
    IMG_2124.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2151.jpeg
    IMG_2151.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2149.jpeg
    IMG_2149.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Resized_20230310_210723.jpeg
    Resized_20230310_210723.jpeg
    774.8 KB · Views: 7
I think the issue with them for me is that they're not really taking the music "beyond" where they found it. Zep ripped off Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Ritchie Valens and probably a slew of others, but they took those old tunes and moved them further down the line. Should they have given more credit to OG's? Maybe, maybe not.

GvF in contrast took the sounds of Zep, style of Zep and repackaged it. It's less moving the music further from where they started and more of what was already done by Zep decades ago. I think they're a good band, yes it's nice they have a retro vibe that is mostly lost today, yes it's awesome that kids can listen and discover other influences.

Would just be nice if they took things beyond where they found them a bit more. What would that sound like? Not like GvF at present. Just my .02.

I love this song. Doesn’t sound like a Rain Song ripoff at all to my ears. There is calm majesty to it that keeps me coming back.

Seriously, Led Zep was a great band in their day but damn they straight up stole so much stuff to the point losing cases/settling out of court and amending song credits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Led_Zeppelin_songs_written_or_inspired_by_others

From a song production perspective, I guess it's splitting hairs. That is, Zep stole lyrics and chrord progressions, but in my opinion, they don't sound anything like the originals, maybe that was their angle - figuring it was different "enough" to not warrant credits etc. I'm not going to argue whether that was valid or not, but that's my take on their stuff versus the old blues or rock guys that done the originals.

GvF are clearly talented enough on their own to not need to cop that much vibe from Zep.

I agree with a lot of the comments. Hopefully, as they age, mature and experience life, they will get better at writing their own music and develop their own style.

I gotta say though, I would rather listen to Greta van Fleet, who sing and play their own instruments, than listen to any of this...as Rick Beato says...Sh*t, that is being released as 'music' today.

Probably the same exact reaction to folks over a certain age upon hearing Robert Plant for the first time in 1970.
Very true! Especially my accordion listening dad!

This just reminds me that I'm getting old and that each generation, for the most part, has their own musical preferences.

Back
Top Bottom