MCF-101 stopped working during show

shepo1

HI.. not sure if this has been seen.. But lost all MCF-101 function during show.. All lights were on.. just would not switch NO switches would work.. ( bank up/ down, trying to go into tuner, or what ever)

Powered off whole unit.. ( mcf-101 of courses powers off with it) power back up.. goes thru start up sequence.. ( Green/red lights) Still same.. Tried 3 times.. then started just switching between presets with rotary knob on Axe FX Display and lights would update on MCF-101 as i switched thru the presets.. so it was obviously still communicating. Just not responding to pushing down the switches. Finally i just set it at a basic preset i could use for the rest of the night.

End of night i powered it off.. then back on .. Now its working again.. Hmmm. Anyone seen this? using the XLR type connection ( FASLINK)

But I dont think it was related to that.. it was communicating.. just not responding to switch inputs...

Sounds like you need (and are already getting) Fractal support. That's the best bet by miles.

That said, you stated it was communicating. By this you mean the midi light on the Axe was lighting with foot switch presses?
So... you think the issue is in the AXE and not in the MFC? Just curious.

What i meant by " Communicating" was that If i walked over to the AXE and manually switched presets by using the rotary dial, the MCF LCD Display would follow and the status of the LED's on the switches ( Red/Green) on the MCF would switch as well. I don't know about the MIDI light on the AXE.. i was in the middle of playing a show so didn't really have time to mess with it. My point being that the MCF wasn't really " LOCKED UP" or not communicating with the AXE Just that when i would step on any switch, nothing would happen ( this includes trying to switch to Scenes, or tuner or what ever) I rebooted the whole system a couple times.. still same. at the end of the night ( after we were done) I tried one more time. This time I pulled and reconnected the FASLINK cable at both ends then powered up again. This time it worked SO.. idk.. could have been a connection issue I guess.. just seems strange that a communication cable would cause a issue like that, and I go back to the fact that data was obviously getting from the AXE to the MCF due to the fact that the MCF would update when the Presets were switched at the AXE I could understand it being a connection issue if the presets switched on the MCF, but the AXE didn't respond or something like that. But this was more like the MCF was no longer scanning the status of the Switches.. SO idk.. i haven't had time to set it up in the studio and mess with it.. I will tonight.. maybe I can recreate it.. maybe not.. Could have been something i did by stepping on more then one switch at a time or something.. hard to say..

OH.. one other thing i noticed was my Expression pedal calibration seemed to go funky.. I use it for WAH, and use the AUTO on feature. when this all started happening, i noticed my wah was stuck on and would not shut off when it was in the off position. So i just unplugged it.. Not sure if that issues is now resolved or not as well. Need to check it. Maybe some how I RESET something on the MCF by stomping on the wrong switches while playing.. idk.

Is it a Mark1 or 2 mfc? Might be a stuck button, happened to me twice. It just won't react pushing buttons. Just press all buttons several times to have the stuck button un-stuck again. After that my MFC responded as normal.

Last edited:
HI.. its a mark III . . could be a stuck button... i was stepping blindly on things while trying to play at the time LOL It did go into the scenes mode so maybe it was all me.. idk.. still haven't had time to test..

BOOO. this issue is back.. Had it happen to me multiple times this weekend.. Power off and back on a few times.. then it started working again.. Of course cant get it to happen when at home. Really hard to test stuff when your in the middle of a show. Still not sure if its a stuck button or what. I have 2 shows this weekend Maybe i can find something if it happens again.

Not had funky stuff happen with the MFC/Axe at a gig since last year but had it once in rehearsa earlier this yearl. Overall, had it happen with an AxeFX mk2 and an AxeFx XL. Had it happen with two different MFC101 Mk3's using Cat5 (official G66 version) and Faslink XLR.
When it does it, the sound is either silent and the expression pedal is not working (no midi indication on the front of the Axe) or the MFC is completely frozen and stuck on a preset with sound. In the first case (the silent one), sometimes it will reset by using bank up and then bank down to the original preset. This clears things up and the sound is back again. When it's frozen (the MFC), only a reboot will do.
After initially having major problems live, I did restore everything back to factory on MFC and Axe and started again with all my presets from scratch. After that it behaved at all the gigs since then but did freeze at that one rehearsal and required a reboot so not sure if it's cured or if it just had a freaky one off crash in that rehearsal.

The only time I have had the all lights on situation required a replacement unit from G66. Weird how yours came back to life from similar symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom