McCarty with P90s anyone?

That’s really the only thing I don’t love about PRS. Not a fan of the headstock. I do kind of like the inverted one on the Silver Skys though.
Same here - I like the reverse version of their headstock better. I once had a Kiesel with a headstock with that orientation.

Same here - I like the reverse version of their headstock better. I once had a Kiesel with a headstock with that orientation.

I had to look at these again. Inverted puts point on the bottom so it lines up roughly with the shorter horn of the body. Better balance maybe? Must be it. Or maybe just the offset tuners?

I had to look at these again. Inverted puts point on the bottom so it lines up roughly with the shorter horn of the body. Better balance maybe? Must be it. Or maybe just the offset tuners?
Could be. But even focusing just on the standard headstock, it always looked backwards to me. But, that never stopped me from buying a few Cores over the years.

The inverted headstock on the Silver Sky was purely about looks IIRC from a Mayer interview. Exactly what you point out, they way it lines up.
I thought I read in a Mayer interview that the inverted headstock puts the curves leaving the nut to feel the same as his Strat. Then was tweaked so the curve on the end matched the lower horn.

The SD Antiquity P90s in the recent 594 Soapbar Limited are the most authentic P90 sounding pickups I’ve heard. Love them, and they’re perfectly useful in that guitar. Just a touch more mid bite than the 58/15s, and the snarl when cranked up that I loved about old P90s.

A great sounding P90 guitar is, to me, is one of those great tools to have in the arsenal. Congrats on the new add! It’s a beauty :)

Why get rid of a great guitar because you don't like the pickups?? There is no shortage of great p90s available . I would start with the Throbak.
I don’t tend to chase tone with pickup changes. I have a bunch of good fo great guitars and had a couple of other P90 guitars better suited to me. It was a great guitar and I’m sure it’s loved wherever it is.

The SD Antiquity P90s in the recent 594 Soapbar Limited are the most authentic P90 sounding pickups I’ve heard. Love them, and they’re perfectly useful in that guitar. Just a touch more mid bite than the 58/15s, and the snarl when cranked up that I loved about old P90s.

A great sounding P90 guitar is, to me, is one of those great tools to have in the arsenal. Congrats on the new add! It’s a beauty :)

Have to agree, the PRS 594 soapbars were phenomenal! They have a perfect control layout and a nice fat sound that's brighter than yer usual humbucker yet fatter than a Fender sound. I'll let go of mine when I'm in the grave.

Had one. The P90s were really hot. If you want to rock it’s great. They were too hot for me, but loved the playability.
I've often heard of P90s being hot, aggressive, and aimed for rock. The only P90's I have are the Harmonic Design Z90 and they can do anything, from sweet and subtle to hot.

P90s at Gilmour's Goldtop Les Paul can also be sweet

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom