Implemented Maxon OD808

RifferMcDuck

Inspired
I'm shocked to see this isn't on the master wishlist. I haven't been able to find a straight forward approach to accurately replicating the modern Maxon OD808 with the available models, so I will keep my fingers crossed it's someday added to the drive models given its popularity in the metal community.

It's also the last pedal I own, and I'd like to eventually be able to sell it and cross over into the prestigious realm of complete Axe purity.

EDIT: THEY JUST ADDED IT IN THE 17.00 PUBLIC BETA.

Last edited:
Right? Wasn't the biggest changes in the buffer resistors and true bypassing in later Maxons or something like that? Otherwise they were pretty much the same I thought.

They're similar, but definitely not the same. It's actually pretty strange to me that anyone would suggest it is no different than the TS9 in tone. It's not like people choose it over the TS9 because they prefer its shade of green more.

I guess it depends on which iteration of the Maxon. Maybe its just not different enough to warrant modelling it beyond what they have with the current TS versions. Maxon originally made the TS for Ibanez so an OD9/808 would/should sound the same as a TS9/808.

Last edited:
They're similar, but definitely not the same.
How so?

https://guitar.com/review/effects-pedal/maxon-od808-od-9/

That suggests the differences are very minor.

The OD808 has the traditional buffers, however Maxon has deviated from the 808 formula by changing the two output resistors to reduce noise levels. The result is that the new values make the OD808 electronically identical to an original TS9, rather than a TS808.

The other area of interest is the op-amp. Pedal geeks can get pretty fussy about chips and the original JRC4558 has acquired a certain mystique. Here, the TS808 packs a JRC4558, whereas the TS9 has an NJM4558D. Don’t panic, however – NJM is simply the name of the company formerly known as JRC, aka The Japanese Radio Corporation.

This is likely the case, and I'm not going to attempt to contest it. I'll try to delete this thread, I'm sorry guys.
All good. It means you should be able to match it pretty closely with one of the 808 models in the unit already.

If you use the Tone Match block it'll tell you how close or far away the model is from the real thing. And whether you can get closer by just twisting some knobs or nudging some sliders on the model.

I have done this previously for my Analogman-modded TS9. Let me dig up the thread. It's easy to get indistinguishably close to the pedal.

Edit: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...i-diode-clipping-in-q5-xx-drive-block.120955/

When you're using the Tone Match block the goal is to make that yellow line as flat as possible. It's a diff EQ view between the two signals.

The maxon 808 sound more natural and don’t have this mid thing that the ts9 have .

I owned and tried 3/4 ts like . I compared them in the same room with my amp to choose which one I prefer and it was the Maxon 808.not so subtle when you switch one to another in the same room

Don’t know what to say . Do the test yourself .
I test them in series, ibanez ts808, maxon 808 and ibanez ts9 . The ts9 color the sound more than the 2 others . The ts808 is more « vintage » sounding . The Maxon was perfect . In boost mode with the dist of the amp .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom