• Drive x 2
  • Delay x 2
  • Multidelay
  • Tremolo
  • Reverb x 2
  • Amp x 2
  • Cab (2 IRs, stereo)
View attachment 89058

That comes in at about 80% CPU. That patch with channels, scenes, and potentially modifiers will satisfy most anybody's P&W tone needs. I rarely built patches even this complex on the III, so it's good to know the FM9 will handle it. I do, however, miss the 3rd delay block but can make the Multidelay work.

The Pitch block may not have been updated to the III algorithms but it seems to track really nicely. Just as well as the Helix's. I don't recall the FM3's Pitch block sounding this good.
Just to point out the obvious, and look like a smart-ass - if you delete all the shunts, you’ll save a worthwhile amount of DSP

I mostly ported my kitchen sink Axe Fx III to the FM9...

Eliminating shunts helped me for sure.

I have a few other tweaks I want to try to see how much more I get in that I originally removed.

I'll probably turn off the Preamp in the Cab block and might try using a standard length IR instead of Ultra.

That's actually something that seemed to not "port" exactly when I imported the preset - it defaulted my UltraRes to standard. Maybe by design?

You'll get back about 3%. Not sure I'd characterize that as "worthwhile".
I might have mis-read, but I believe someone mentioned that they had to pull the Plex Delay to get within limits, so I’d say if that lets you get that back, it is ’worthwhile’.

I mostly ported my kitchen sink Axe Fx III to the FM9...

Eliminating shunts helped me for sure.

I have a few other tweaks I want to try to see how much more I get in that I originally removed.

I'll probably turn off the Preamp in the Cab block and might try using a standard length IR instead of Ultra.

That's actually something that seemed to not "port" exactly when I imported the preset - it defaulted my UltraRes to standard. Maybe by design?
Setting the Cab block Preamp to Economy mode and Standard length IR allowed me to get it working. Woohoo!

Setting the Cab block Preamp to Economy mode and Standard length IR allowed me to get it working. Woohoo!
I realized today while doing some A/B comparisons between the FM9 and Axe Fx III that I forgot about my Barber Pole envelope Phaser.

Can't get that one in there without skirting too close to the danger zone.

But I don't use it a lot so I can probably just create a variant of this preset.

I had 2 amp blocks on an original preset but can only get 1 now and 1 drive block. Using cabs as standard and economy and reverbs as normal. I'm hitting around 81-83% and cannot use the editor as it just locks up. Would like to see someones preset using 2 drives and 2 amps and see if I'm doing something wrong??

Input>Pitch>wah>Flanger>rotary>Drive>amp>Cab (standard)>chorus>delay>reverb (normal)>looper>output (Delay 2 parallel, tried multi-delay, but maxed out so using a dual delay 2 to couple with delay 1 when I want a multi-delay effect)

Straight line - no Shunts.
Thinking about splicing in some analog drive pedals to remove the drive, but would like to have only the FM9 to deal with.

Using 2.0.

I had 2 amp blocks on an original preset but can only get 1 now and 1 drive block. Using cabs as standard and economy and reverbs as normal. I'm hitting around 81-83% and cannot use the editor as it just locks up. Would like to see someones preset using 2 drives and 2 amps and see if I'm doing something wrong??

Input>Pitch>wah>Flanger>rotary>Drive>amp>Cab (standard)>chorus>delay>reverb (normal)>looper>output (Delay 2 parallel, tried multi-delay, but maxed out so using a dual delay 2 to couple with delay 1 when I want a multi-delay effect)

Straight line - no Shunts.
Thinking about splicing in some analog drive pedals to remove the drive, but would like to have only the FM9 to deal with.

Using 2.0.
The Amp modeling runs on a dedicated core and shouldn't really affect the CPU load. Same with Reverb... So feel free to run at highest quality ;)

The (normal) Delays run on a dedicated core, so also don't affect the CPU. The multi-Delay does not and will definitely consume CPU.

Are you "stacking" Drives? If not, can you just use channels of a single Drive block?

How many IR slots are active in the Cab block?

The Amp modeling runs on a dedicated core and shouldn't really affect the CPU load. Same with Reverb... So feel free to run at highest quality
Would love to but can't get back to a useable preset with that being used at Ultra. I find the cab at Ultra-res is my desired point as it has a little better sound.

That is why I gravitated to using two delays.

I am trying to stack drives, but cannot get another in so just using 4 channels for now.

I use 2 IR's in the cab block and had to drop them to standard with the preamp at economy.

I'm making it get by, but not exactly what I would like to have.

Would love to but can't get back to a useable preset with that being used at Ultra. I find the cab at Ultra-res is my desired point as it has a little better sound.

That is why I gravitated to using two delays.

I am trying to stack drives, but cannot get another in so just using 4 channels for now.

I use 2 IR's in the cab block and had to drop them to standard with the preamp at economy.

I'm making it get by, but not exactly what I would like to have.
Unless you really "need" it try turning off the Cab block preamp. I did and I don't miss it.

I'm using 3rd party IRs so I took the 2 I was blending and used Cab Lab to make a single IR of them. That helped a lot.

Is there a list of block types and roughly how much CPU% they take up?

jon
Not that I've seen for FM9...

There have been lists at some point for both Axe Fx III and FM3 but not that I've seen in a while, and they won't apply for FM9 in any case.

All "unofficial", too.

Back
Top Bottom