Maximizing Axe FX III use with generator

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Luckily we got power back last night so we're rocking now! Hope everyone else is staying safe!

Lol btw I was able to post/read here when I would find a spot with good cell service or I would occasionally plug my router in.

Cool! I'll bet that's not cheap! I started in fall of '69, graduated in spring of '73, four years, eight semesters. I lived on campus the whole time. My lowest cost for a semester (which in included tuition, fees, parking, sports tickets, room, food, laundry, and medical care) was $525. The highest was $675. My entire four years cost slightly less than $5K. What a bargain that was! About all I had to buy extra was books. My guess is that it's now way more than ten times that amount.
My man, books alone were >$600 every semester at TAMU 20 years ago.

Cool! I'll bet that's not cheap! I started in fall of '69, graduated in spring of '73, four years, eight semesters. I lived on campus the whole time. My lowest cost for a semester (which in included tuition, fees, parking, sports tickets, room, food, laundry, and medical care) was $525. The highest was $675. My entire four years cost slightly less than $5K. What a bargain that was! About all I had to buy extra was books. My guess is that it's now way more than ten times that amount.
Apologies in advance for this. I went to Texas in the mid to late 80’s and my tuition was less than my books. I also have a kid at another SEC school. So I have 3 in college at the same time. The costs now are ridiculous. That said, I love college station, and when my youngest said she didn’t even want to apply to Texas, I was fine with it. I cannot tell you how many Texas exes, both husbands and wives, are sending their kids to A&M now. It’s where I would go now if I had had a do-over. But the traffic down there is really bad.

Btw, one of my kids is an architecture major working part time for an architect while in school. She did some CAD/design work for the house Elko is building. Pretty cool. Gotta love the Aggie network/connections.

Last edited:
With FC-12 it is 24W.
There will certainly be variations depending on how many analog inputs and outputs are used, so I would assume 25W for the FX3 and be on the safe side. Laptop when not running on battery with 100W and a FRFR with about 300W. Whereby these are the maximum values for duration.
the Elias8 system, for example, requires 15-18W when idle

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Luckily we got power back last night so we're rocking now! Hope everyone else is staying safe!

Lol btw I was able to post/read here when I would find a spot with good cell service or I would occasionally plug my router in.
I'm running off a generator and a hot spot right now. The map says I should have power but still nothing. Thank God for the generator. I'm jamming through a playlist and dropped in on the forum to see if there was a new firmware update. No added hum from the generator.

I'm running off a generator and a hot spot right now. The map says I should have power but still nothing. Thank God for the generator. I'm jamming through a playlist and dropped in on the forum to see if there was a new firmware update. No added hum from the generator.
Omg I hope you're hanging in there! Honestly there is a thread on Reddit r/Houston that I found was the most helpful at knowing what zip codes were getting/not getting power. Glad you're still rocking at least!

Omg I hope you're hanging in there! Honestly there is a thread on Reddit r/Houston that I found was the most helpful at knowing what zip codes were getting/not getting power. Glad you're still rocking at least!
I just got power about 30 min. ago. I put the generator up but I can still get to it quickly if needed. That may have been my best purchase besides the Fractal. After the 'tornado storms' I was on a mission to get set up with a nat. gas hook up that would feed my down stairs. It's too hot in Houston and the electricity company is playing games. The generator ran from Monday afternoon up until this afternoon with oil changes at 25 hr intervals.

So glad to hear! Just a heads up, mine came on last night for ~15 mins then shut off but then came back ok on ~20 mins after that and I've had power since then. And yeah my little Jackery has been a huge life saver. Glad you're ok!!

Ercot and Oncor are so unreliable whether it’s a hurricane or a freeze. I’ve got to get a real gererator like a Generac installed at the homestead.
We installed the Generac 22 KW and it’s the best thing we ever did. We have a 500 gallon Lp tank it will also run on natural gas. In January when the tornado came down are street we where in the closet we could hear the tornado the power went out and about 10-15 seconds the lights came on and we light up the neighborhood with all of our flood lights.
They make a 24 kw but at the time it was hard to find so that’s why we got the 22 kw. Great investment Ac or Heat can’t say how much we love it.

I don't know if that's different on 120V, which would be what the OP is on...

The required power remains the same, but the required current is doubled.

Formula W = V x A

25W / 240V = 0,104A
25W / 120V = 0,208A

Since the voltage is AC, a distinction is made between apparent and active power depending on the load,

We installed the Generac 22 KW and it’s the best thing we ever did. We have a 500 gallon Lp tank it will also run on natural gas. In January when the tornado came down are street we where in the closet we could hear the tornado the power went out and about 10-15 seconds the lights came on and we light up the neighborhood with all of our flood lights.
They make a 24 kw but at the time it was hard to find so that’s why we got the 22 kw. Great investment Ac or Heat can’t say how much we love it.
We had strong thunderstorm that came through in early May that knocked power out for a couple of days. It was at that point I made it my mission to get a generator set up that could run my AC. I bought a portable one (Westinghouse 11500 Tfc - Tri fuel: Runs 14,500w on gasoliine, 12,500 on propane and 11,500 on Nat Gas.) I had a plumber create a stub up quick connect to my back porch and then an electrician installed a transfer connection box so I can plug into my main breaker box and choose what breakers I want on. My AC started tripping the breaker at the generator after a few hours the first day, so I could run everything but the AC on day 1 & 2. But I had my AC guy install a Soft Start kit that reduces the load the compressor pulls when the AC kicks on. Then the AC worked. It probably would've worked if I used gasoline for fuel instead of nat. gas.

So all in I was around $3,500. I think the Generac was going to cost closer to $15K because the gasline would've had to been bored under the patio concrete and trees, etc. That would be my first option but for the cost, I'm ok with the little set up. My friends who have Generac were very glad they made the investment. This season will be a busy hurricane season. And our power goes out when it freezes, when it floods, when there's wind. Hopefully the nat. gas bill isn't too outlandish.

Hi @Bman
Those WestingHouse generators are pretty cool, I thought about one of those for our 5th wheel but never did get one. I like that generator but there kinda heavy and I have a bad back. If we are in a situation with the camper without power I just plug into my truck it keeps everything running but the ac.

We are into about 8 K with install here for the 22KW Generac found a guy in Alabama that did the work he is really responsible and had the best price. I did like you with the other generator that I have, It’s super nice not to have to touch anything when the power goes out and we don’t have to mess with breakers or fuel it just runs everything. We have a gas stove and tankless hot water and gas fireplace. Found the fireplace log and burner set at Woodland Direct.

Wish we had natural gas here then I wouldn’t have had to get the 500 gallon tank it cost me just under 3000 K

I do really like that Westinghouse generator though! We all have a long way to go for storm season. I just hope we can get through it without any damage this year.

Glad you got your power back my sister in Lake Jackson got her power back Tuesday afternoon.

Last time I used my other generator we ran it for two weeks after Hurricane Michael i had 150 gallons of fuel I kept taking out of my boat and had maybe 20 gallons left when they turned the power on.
Took another week to get an ac unit because are Ac was crushed from the hurricane.

Glad you’re finally able to run your ac. Hope you and your family are safe and cool now.

The Generac is on my list but it’s so expensive. I bought a Harbor Freight Predator inverter 9500 last year and have used it twice so far (about 100 hours) with really good results. It’s a lot less noisy than my powerhorse 9000. I had a coupon for 25% off and to my surprise they let me use it on the generator! I am in the north east so mostly I am concerned with heating vs cooling. Certain things would not run reliably with the powerhorse but everything runs well with the inverter. Nice clean power. I would not hesitate to run my axe/daw setup etc on it.

Last edited:
Apologies in advance for this. I went to Texas in the mid to late 80’s and my tuition was less than my books. I also have a kid at another SEC school. So I have 3 in college at the same time. The costs now are ridiculous. That said, I love college station, and when my youngest said she didn’t even want to apply to Texas, I was fine with it. I cannot tell you how many Texas exes, both husbands and wives, are sending their kids to A&M now. It’s where I would go now if I had had a do-over. But the traffic down there is really bad.

Btw, one of my kids is an architecture major working part time for an architect while in school. She did some CAD/design work for the house Elko is building. Pretty cool. Gotta love the Aggie network/connections.
Traffic in both College Station and Austin is horrible. Glad I'm past all that. Interesting that your daughter is in architecture. I started off in Architecture, but they dropped it as an undergraduate major after my freshman year. They instead put us in something called Environmental Design, which I hated. I still graduated from the College of Architecture, but it was with a Construction degree. Can't imagine putting three kids through college at the same time. I suspect that involves and has involved a lot of sacrifices over the years. And yes, an A&M degree is a wonderful thing to have (in Texas, at least) as far as jobs on down the road, because of those connections. Best wishes to y'all!

I've got the larger Generac at my place in town. 500 gallon tank like you. Unfortunately, we didn't check the tank before the storm hit and ran out of propane about a day and a half before power came back. I was able to get it refilled just a few hours after we got power back on. However, I've not been able to restart the generator (manually), as there must be air in the line. My message is this: don't let your tank run out of gas!

Back
Top Bottom