Max CPU usage question

MN246

Hi guys, I'm building a new live rig and I'm currently at 80 - 82% CPU usage on my FM9 Turbo. My bar graph is red, but the audio still sounds amazing. Is that within acceptable range for the processor or should I be paring down effects?

I'm building a new live rig and I'm currently at 80 - 82% CPU usage on my FM9 Turbo. My bar graph is red, but the audio still sounds amazing. Is that within acceptable range for the processor or should I be paring down effects?
Do you want boring reliability or the excitement of not knowing if your unit will begin making crackling sounds, begin responding slowly to switch presses or MIDI, or stop processing sound at any second?

For a live rig i wouldn't gamble. You risk a complete cut off of sound.
Even empty shunts use CPU, maybe you can remove some?
See the sheet of CPU usage here.
in my experience with Ax3, it's not that abrupt when starting to push cpu - maybe the odd ugly pop or click here and there. As the CPU gets pushed harder and harder above 80% the number of snap/crakle/pops will increase and eventually, once CPU is really strained, you'd have a complete cut off. Also, different combinations of block channels engaged can raise CPU levels - so maybe your preset sounds OK at 82% but you hit a switch that changes a compressor from a "pedal" type on chA to a "studio" type on chB n then you start getting more crackles since studio compressor requires more juice. Far better to stay below 80% (like with all computing devices really) and try to squeeze more out of it by reducing reverb quality, cab resolution etc.

My own personal max is 75% - gives me some headroom to manouver, and room to possibly incorporate fw improvements that come along that might need a bit more cpu.

I try and stay in the 78-80% range. Make sure you check within scenes as well. It can vary a few % depending what's selected within the different channels.

It might change by a few % as firmwares evolve, so running high CPU puts you at risk of having to simplify your presets as firmwares get released.

I appreciate all the advice. I was able to move my ambient cleans to a separate rig. Doing that and just retaining a good clean for use as needed with my gain tones worked. After that I'm down to about 70% cpu utilization.

Back
Top Bottom