Block and FX Type CPU usage summary - FM9 Turbo

blaggers

Power User
I have been tryng to optimise my "guitar and vox patch" which is about 83% CPU, so spent some time looking at the various block CPU usage, which might be useful to others.

1663583225711.png

Method -
This is for the FM9 turbo - but the relative differences should be applicable to other units .

I loaded a blank preset - this used 10.5% CPU as shown on the Layout CPU readout. I then added a single block and calculated the change. I did notice that adding two of the same type of blocks didnt always give twice the CPU increase - so these are indicative figures, but YMMV depending on your preset.

Will summarise in this and following posts. I also have these in a spreadsheet which I can post when Ive finished.

Heres a WIP googlesheet link (19 Sept 22)-

FM9 CPU Googlesheet

General Blocks-
Amps - very little CPU use (as run on own core)

Cabs - Ultrares, PreAmp and room simulations can add a few % CPU each
Aligning IRs can add 1% CPU. Can easily add 10% CPU in the cab block.

Input and Output, and feedback blocks add a few % - Changing input noise reduction can save a bit of CPU

Looper - adds 4.5%

1663581891860.png

Last edited:
Reverbs and Delays

I havent done all the delays (As I dont use them) - but will at some point

The normal Delay block and Reverb run on a separate CPU,, so and type can be used and reverbs can be run in full quality and repeats without hitting CPU usage increases.

1663582427083.png

Last edited:
i used to do this for every firmware update a while ago. fun yeah? :D

I initially did it for my knowledge but though it would be useful for others so happy to share.

I dont have CPU issues with my AxeFX III so havent looked at this in any detail before. My FM3 was so CPU limited I didnt try a dual guitar/vocals setup. The FM9 is capable of this but I needed a better understanding of CPU management to do what I wanted, so I bit the bullet and spent a few hours learning what was using CPU. I wont update for all firmwares as I dont think it will need it, but it would only take an hour to update now Ive created the sheet.

Back
Top Bottom