Mavericks pros cons ?

Tex Axe

Experienced
I am curious if any Mac guys here have upgraded from 10.8.6 too mavericks and if so could you give pros or cons on this ?

anyone here upgraded from 10.8.6 too mavericks what are pros vs cons ?

Im worried to do this and mess anything with axe 2 up...
anyone here using Mavericks and if so how was the transaction smooth ? Nightmare ??
how does axe 2 get along with Mavericks any issues ?

I am going through headaches with sonnet pcie card and motu 896hd and Mt lion 10.8.6
the firewire wont work it pops n pings and the sonnet card did not solve this.

I read upgrade too Mavericks and this might be solved but I dont want to open more worms up...

Mavericks a good thing or Nightmare ?

make a new partition on your hard drive and install a clean copy of mavericks to try it out.

i like it. a few minor annoyances here and there, but nothing different than previous OS i feel.

i don't know how it will work with your specific hardware, but again, the clean install on a new partition should allow you to try it without affecting your current setup. even better, do it with an external hard drive - it will be a bit slower, but even safer.

I'm running Mavericks on my 2007 iMac and it's so-so. The Core Audio improvements are good for Axe-Fx II connectivity but there are bunch of bugs in things now that weren't there pre-Mavericks. For example: my Duet will sometimes start to lose sync and everything will go all reduced bit rate-y. Unplugging and plugging the Duet back in fixes it, but it's still a PIA if you're recording when it happens. Preview in Mavericks has turned in to a POS. Especially when it comes to interacting with my HP printer/scanner thingy. Pre-Mavericks I had to use a HP-provided app to scan things and it was rock solid. With Mavericks HP says "use Preview's import from scanner feature!" which would be great if it wasn't so damn buggy. Took me 8 attempts last night to get my hotel receipt scanned for my expense report because Preview's import stuff kept crashing.

I do like AirPlay mirroring though. That's nice.

Overall I'd say it's a wash on how much good it brought to my aging iMac. This is definitely it for this computer and OS X updates. The machine is nearing EOL for me though so I'm not too bummed about it. The internal drive died earlier this year and I'm running off an external FW800 drive now -- fast enough but this is just holding it together until I can buy a new iMac.

Like the other's said: clone your Main drive using something like CarbonCopyCloner so you've got a perfect backup of it that you can ALSO boot from. Install Mavericks. And if you don't like it you can revert.

I have a new iMac with it, coming from snow leopard on my macbook pro, and I'm happy with it. I go direct with my Axe to Logic and everything is working just fine so far.

Running Mav here with no issues I know about. Syncs with Axe edit thru the USB ports great, no problems there for me. Updates to the Axe FX II thru BOT is no issue...

I have a relatively recent MBP (2012)
Mavericks is perfect for me. Works great with all interfaces and with Axe too.

Works well on both my 2008 iMac and my 2013 Macbook Pro. Granted its a little slow on the iMac due the computers age, but both computers run well with Axe Edit and connect to the Axe FxII with no issues.

Runs great on both my maxed-out 2008 Mac Pro and my 2012 MacBook Pro. No issues whatsoever with any Axe-FX II connectivity or software - including AxeEdit and FractalBot. I can only imagine there being issues on older, underpowered Macs or iMacs... but I have no problems at all, and always stay current on both OSX and iOS updates.

I upgraded to Mavericks because I though it was supposed to be better for Axe-FX integration. I don't know if I saw a difference. I still don't track via the Axe-FX USB. I use the analog output and DI with the Output 2 Input 1 echo feature (super cool). It works with the Axe-FX and all of the Fractal software but when I'm running a big session Axe-Edit can't communicate with the Axe-FX same as before. Since I've upgraded I've had problems with all of my connections, USB, FW and Thunderbolt. I can't do some of the things I could before and it is always losing connection and not working when something is plugged-in. It's to the point where I treat my laptop as a tower and don't ever move it, connect or disconnect anything or turn it off to avoid wasting time. The selling features of Mavericks are so-so in my opinion, not that great of an OS upgrade.

AOM DSP is working so far on my MacBook Pro, Mid 2010 , OSX 10.9.1
but there are some graphic issues when making changes on the application, also some older 32bit plugin-ins are affected (Soundtoys,Oxford) maybe its Java based problem...Using now Cablab

There's a problem with network file sharing: with both AFP and SMB engaged, my Macbooks and iMac cannot connect to each other anymore.
Known issue if you search for it.

I only need SMB for my SONOS audio system (SONOS needs SMB to recognize iTuies libraries), so I can live without it. But still ...

Last edited:
Running it on mac mini and macbook air, no problems apart from a stupid bug where it resizes all my windows when waking the mac mini from sleep so I can't expand them, have to close the applications and restart them. grrrr. No issue with Axe FX tho.

I'm running Mavericks on my 2007 iMac and it's so-so. The Core Audio improvements are good for Axe-Fx II connectivity but there are bunch of bugs in things now that weren't there pre-Mavericks. For example: my Duet will sometimes start to lose sync and everything will go all reduced bit rate-y. Unplugging and plugging the Duet back in fixes it, but it's still a PIA if you're recording when it happens. Preview in Mavericks has turned in to a POS. Especially when it comes to interacting with my HP printer/scanner thingy. Pre-Mavericks I had to use a HP-provided app to scan things and it was rock solid. With Mavericks HP says "use Preview's import from scanner feature!" which would be great if it wasn't so damn buggy. Took me 8 attempts last night to get my hotel receipt scanned for my expense report because Preview's import stuff kept crashing.

I do like AirPlay mirroring though. That's nice.

Overall I'd say it's a wash on how much good it brought to my aging iMac. This is definitely it for this computer and OS X updates. The machine is nearing EOL for me though so I'm not too bummed about it. The internal drive died earlier this year and I'm running off an external FW800 drive now -- fast enough but this is just holding it together until I can buy a new iMac.

Like the other's said: clone your Main drive using something like CarbonCopyCloner so you've got a perfect backup of it that you can ALSO boot from. Install Mavericks. And if you don't like it you can revert.

Thanks for the intel on running Mavericks on an older machine. I think I'm going to pass on loading it as everything still works and I'm too lazy to mess with it and not that savvy with computers...

I have 3 mac pro's, a 2008'a2010 and a new mac pro .all running maverick
I was hoping to get rid of my oldest machine but it is the only one that can see the axe fx via usb.
After I plug my axe fx usb cable in the old machine and after 10 sec in the new Mac Pro , the new Mac Pro can find the axe fx
This was the same with osx 10.8 with my other two machines
No other problems with maverick, duet (FireWire )working well as well

There are no known problems with Mavericks and the Axe-Fx II.
I use it on all my machines, and work supporting all the pros and artists who use this config.

I'd upgrade.

no Axe issues....only gripe for me is how when you are on Facetime it puts all other sound at a near inaudible level with no way to adjust it. Sometimes I'd like to be able to hear something in the background if I so choose...

Biggest annoyances for me were: a) the loss of QuickTime support for non-Apple video codecs in the Finder (e.g. QuickLook); I now use VLC for all video/media viewing; and b) the Dockstar plugin for Mail broke, and the developer doesn't plan to fix it.

Otherwise, no issues at all for audio/video production. Using a 2009 Nehalem MacPro w/24 GB RAM, GTX-285 graphics card, UAD Duo card, and Caldigit eSATA card + RAID. For the Axe, I run from the analog outs through a Metric Halo ULN-2 (non-dsp) via firewire. My DAW is Cubase 6.5 (using primarily UAD and Waves plugins, latest versions).

a) the loss of QuickTime support for non-Apple video codecs in the Finder (e.g. QuickLook); I now use VLC for all video/media viewing;

Oh yea. Forgot that Perian doesn't work any more. That's definitely a bummer. Especially for QuickLook support.

Back
Top Bottom