Matrix XT800, VHT 2:50:2 - 2 clips which is better and why? no clues

Which clip do you prefer

• Clip 1

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Clip 2

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
Had some fun yesterday during our band rehearsel. I have still the "original" XT-800 and yesterday I had again a huge smile on my face. Love my sound! For me the improvement of 10.3 was way more important.

But if they will modd some smaller aspects it will be even more perfect altough the way it is now is already stellar.

Regards :mrgreen

The 'fatness' of take one is what drew me to it. There was a certain 'roundness' to the note envelope that seemed to be present in take one. Perhaps also a bit of note 'bloom' whereas take two had a touch of mid-range stridentcy....just a touch. Overall, they were quite close. But I believe take one had that 'tube feel'.
Thats the first time I've heard either of those amps.
Down in Texas we like fat.....we cook our vegetables in it.

just wanted to say thanks guys. The results are very evenly split - with the VHT taking it by 1 vote.

Interestingly, on the other forum Ive posted, it was 12 to 1 in favour of theMAtrix - which either means yo guys have better ears, or a more distinct taste :)

The upshot of my continued tweeking is that the Matrix can be made to sound and feel very close to the VHT, however each paych needs a different EQ change to achieve it - that is I cant just set a global EQ curve that works for all patches.

i havent tweeked the patches themselves, as Matrix have some mods there going to trial to try and make the amp work even better for the likes of us - which if successfull may end up with a spin off product aimed at the modelling market in general. Once these have been done, my unit will be modded for testing and feedback. I therefore want to keep my patches as they are and keep the VHT as a reference.

My (long thought out) feeling is that the Matrix may well replace my VHT - however as I dont actualy NEED to sell the VHT, I may well end up with both. If nothing else the Matrix is a VERY light, and reasonably priced (in the EU at least) backup. Ill put the VHT in its own 2U rack, and load the Matrix with the Axe, which will cut down the individual weights at least.

So - once againthanks for the input - and Ill post more thoughts/clips when the mods are done - if theres an interest.

YES. Definitely interested in more test once the mods have been done!

I have been really undecided whether to get a Matrix (I got so close to ordering an XT-800) to replace my 17+ year old rocktron velocity 300 (it still works well but is 2U and quite heavy). I nearly bought a 2:90:2 a few months back, but the thought of going back to a heavy tube device and maintenance to go with it made me shudder personally. But I think the Matrix will be a total no brainer if those mods come off!

Any eta on the mods Paul?

Somewhere around 4 weeks. it depends on a couple of things.

Firstly Andy (who designes & builds) isnt just working on the XT500/800. They have a build this week for 15 amps for a company. These are bigger amps retailing at £2k each. Obviously this has to take preference.

Secondly- once they have done them, the first unit will go to Octatonic from this forum (who also has the VHT 2:50:2) for initial thoughts. If there going in the right direction he will go to Matrix with his complete Axe/VHT rig and they will fine tune in the workshop until there as close as they can get.

Once thats done, modded units will go our to other testers (another 2 including me I believe) for further testing/feedback. Matrix said around 5 weeks until I get one - and that was a week ago. Obviously it doesnt just depend on Matrix, but also when Octatonic can get up to Matrix.

My (long thought out) feeling is that the Matrix may well replace my VHT - however as I dont actualy NEED to sell the VHT, I may well end up with both. If nothing else the Matrix is a VERY light, and reasonably priced (in the EU at least) backup. Ill put the VHT in its own 2U rack, and load the Matrix with the Axe, which will cut down the individual weights at least.

Hi Paul,

I spilt my rig up into a 4u for the Axe, Echoplex and a power strip and then a separate 2u for the VHT.
It was the right decision for me.

I am doing an avant-garde ensemble where I do mostly spacey/synthy type tones that allows me to DI so no need to be dragging around a power amp.
I just take the VHT when I need a big rock tone.
Now I've split the rig up I can actually see a place for the Atomic powered cab for me and of course the Matrix.

Will see how I go once I get settled with the MFC101 which is coming.
Eventually.

I Like 1 more... those called "artifacts" is what I enjoy most ;) BUT I hate the weight factor. I would buy an XT800, in fact I want one but seems impossible to get an answer on how to buy one from them... I had the money 2 months ago and no response haha... so I spend it .. ouch..

Back
Top Bottom