Which clip do you prefer

• Clip 1

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Clip 2

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
So. this is not me pushing the Matrix - lets get that out of the way. its also not about testing you lot ot see who has better ears. its about seeing if the two amps are close.

its a blind test really. i took a patch Ive used for ages on the VHT, and recorded a clip to a backing. I deliberately chose the Strat and the type of track as this would show the response/HF issues highlighted in another thread if there are any.

i then tweeked the patch for the Matrix. A slight EQ change, slight changes to Sag, damp, TX HF and LF and prescence Freq. Thats it. Same backing track, same volume. OK I play different because Im improvising - however i think this is actually a fair test. the clips have not been posted in any particular order, so either clip could be either amp.

What I want to know is:

1. Can you tell the difference between the two clips - that is is it obvious to you that two different power amps are being used.

2. If you CAN tell the difference - which do you prefer.

3. If you have a preference - why.

So, CLIP 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r0izCbJSBw

Clip 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKUMvvZrNVU

1. Pretty sure the 1st is the VHT, 2nd is the Matrix.
2. Over youtube, through laptop speakers the difference is slight. How is it in the room?
3. I am have to admit it is 50% guess at least given the circumstances. I will be surprised if the 1st one is the Matrix because there seems to be a slight amount of compression going on in the first clip that I don't hear in the 2nd.
That could simply be a level difference though as it hits your camera mic.
Not much in it though, I admit- but I'll pick I prefer the 1st one.

Jim

I think the second one is the VHT :mrgreen or is it the Matrix?
From a psychologic perspective you would most probably put the VHT in the first clip and the Matrix the second. But I like the second clip the most because it sounds so familiair;)

Last edited:
I voted the first one. If that is the VHT I wouldn't be suprised, it sounds a little bit more full and squishy (in a good way). But that could be a slight difference in levels - hard to compare on youtube!

I kind of hope clip1 is the Matrix though...

I agree, clip 1 is fuller and smoother, clip 2 is thinner and more sterile sounding. Of course if you're not using the exact same patch in both clips, it's not really an amp comparison, just a clip comparison. I've found the biggest differences in SS and tube power amps is in the overall feel and how they drive the speakers at higher volumes, whcih would not come across in these clips. Not a critisizm, just saying.

Last edited:
No offence taken. The point isnt really to compare amps, or clips TBH, its to gague whether a patch built for the VHT can be tweeked for the Matrix and sound as good and react as well. If that is the case the VHT can be userped by the lighter cheaper Matrix.

its kind of strange TBH. Pretty much everyone here is choosing clip 1 as the VHT (at least those who are leaving comment rather than a vote on the poll), and the nicest clip being smoother and squishier. Over at Music Radar only 1 out of 9 picked clip 1 as the VHT, and he actually said he prefered clip two but thought clip one was the tube amp. Everyone else has chosen clip 2 as the nicest. Here is a quote form one guy, who has been repairing and building Tube amps for 25 years:

" Not my kind of tone at all either, but I can hear a difference. I preferred 2 as well - it's not only chunkier, it sounds more natural and there's less of that brash artifact thing when you play chords and slurs. Harder to hear a difference on the single notes."

another quote about clip 2:

"Chalk up another vote for take 2. It sounded more natural and smoother to me. Take 1 seemed a bit harsher and more brittle to my ears."

Even without the reveal - which i suppose I must do at some point even if that was not the point of the thread, its interesting from a demographic pov.

Last edited:
I was surprised to read the comments here after voting. I thought 2 clearly sounded more natural, especially on the chords.

I think they both sound great.
I 'think' Take 1 is the VHT....but Take 2 still sounds tube enough for me.

Solid chops Paul.

Don't know which is VHT and which Matrix but I prefere the second clip and completely agree with the two guys at Music Radar and, as I've just got a Matrix but not yet tested it, I hope to be right!

Angelo

Don't know which is VHT and which Matrix but I prefere the second clip and completely agree with the two guys at Music Radar and, as I've just got a Matrix but not yet tested it, I hope to be right!

Angelo

Angelo,

Congrats and welcome to the Matrix family! I am sure you will enjoy this awesome amp.

Cheers

Ill post the reveal on a separate thread tomorrow, clearly labelled, so others can post there thoughts/listen to the clips first.

First, I did a bunch of blinded A/B tests about 2 years ago with musicians and non-musicians and absolutely NO ONE could tell between a VHT 2/50/2 and an Art SLA-2 in a live band situation. It's likely the Matrix is at least as good as that SS amp.

Second, I wouldn't expect to get meaningful results with a far field room mic (even a good one) in a non-treated room with a backing track. Way too many sources of (reflected) sounds.

Third, You Tube audio playback isn't good even in a proper recording environment. At best the codec bit rate is 128kbits/sec. I can't believe that is good enough to hear the nuances of anything.

Forth and most importantly, your playing and tone sound really good on both clips - and that is really all that matters. Congrats and have fun!

Last edited:
I prefer 2 because it sounds more flutey but it miss depth and sounds a little bit steril.
I think 1 is the VHT and 2 the Matrix.

Now i'm wondering if your mic gives a good idea of the sound. Perhaps in the room, if i'm not wrong, the VHT sounds more flutey and i will prefer 1.

Last edited:
First, I did a bunch of blinded A/B tests about 2 years ago with musicians and non-musicians and absolutely NO ONE could tell between a VHT 2/50/2 and an Art SLA-2 in a live band situation. It's likely the Matrix is at least as good as that SS amp.

Second, I wouldn't expect to get meaningful results with a far field room mic (even a good one) in a non-treated room with a backing track. Way too many sources of (reflected) sounds.

Third, You Tube audio playback isn't good even in a proper recording environment. At best the codec bit rate is 128kbits/sec. I can't believe that is good enough to hear the nuances of anything.

Forth and most importantly, your playing and tone sound really good on both clips - and that is really all that matters. Congrats and have fun!

I accept all your points there and thank you for your comments, but would counter point 2.

If your critically evaluating an amp I agree you'd need those conditions. However how many of us actually play with no backing or other instruments in an isolated treated room? Id wager none, unless we are recording in which case you almost certainly go direct with the axe so dont need the power amp. this particular A/B was to see how they worked the context i (and most) are likely to use the amps.

Back
Top Bottom